Converting to LED interior lights

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Has anyone converter their interior lights to LED bulbs?

I have kids that love to leave lights on and thought that moving some or all of the interior lights would help cut down on running down the battery when we stop overnight on battery power.

Like the bright lights that the standard bulbs produce and would like to keep the brightness and color close to the original bulbs

jbeletti

Several forum members have converted all or most of theirs and many forum members have converted some. In my last unit, I converted 8 of maybe 24 lights. I did not get the warm ones. You want something in the 3400K range of color temperature. Mine and most are in the 4200k range. But this is a rapidly changing area, so more and more bulbs and brands are emerging.

Jim

wdk450

Ditto to what Jim says.
Also, I have recently looked at a bunch of these online, and find there is a great range of prices for the same 1141 bulb equivalent - I saw from as low as $2.00 to as high as $24.00. If you find one of the online storefronts, browse through the offerings.

At (Quiet) Black Butte Lake COE Campground, near Orland, Ca.

jayc

Legendary Member
We converted our Bighorn and liked the lighting so well, when we bought the Landmark, we also went with all LED's in it. We bought from Ralph and Sandy Kinzer who were the vendors in Goshen but are sadly now retired and out of the business. They represented the Starlights brand lights and I highly recommend them. They are a bit pricey but worth it IMHO.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Check out this website.

LED lights

I ordered a "sampling" of different bulbs to test. They are cheap and it took almost 6 weeks to receive from China.

I will update what bulbs in my "samples" work best when we head out Easter weekend.

Lance
smiley-face-wallpaper.jpg

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I will update what bulbs in my "samples" work best when we head out Easter weekend.

Lance

I would certainly appreciate a "report". So much to choose from I wouldn't know where to begin. I would like brighter and more of a whiter type light in our rig.

Thanks!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Are the bulb sockets aligned in specific way in the interior lights used in RVs so that flat-style LED bulb would work? Some of the bulbs have a polarized bayonet base. I ask because I am working on purchasing a North Trail trailer and do not have easy access to any light fixtures at this time.

CliffP

Are the bulb sockets aligned in specific way in the interior lights used in RVs so that flat-style LED bulb would work? Some of the bulbs have a polarized bayonet base. I ask because I am working on purchasing a North Trail trailer and do not have easy access to any light fixtures at this time.

Our new North Trail has standard single contact base lamps. It should not be an issue with your new purchase. Good luck with your purchase!
Cliff

lduguay

Got-an-idea.jpg

OK, here are the “TEST” results. Please NOTE that I AM NOT electrically inclined so these “findings” are far from foolproof :eek:

Shipping is free from this site, but be prepared for approx 6 weeks before you receive LED's from HongKong.

1156/1157 and reading lamps LED substitute (all pancake lights and 2 reading lights over bed)
Item #21 48999
Not as “warm” as original bulbs (6000-6500K), but decent light, no modification required
I do like these as the current reading lights get very hot!
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/21+48999

Recessed Lights, with frosted glass lenses (in BC 3250TL)
No modification required
Item # 21 51269 (3000-3500K) warm, very similar to original bulb color temp (my choice)
http://s.dealextreme.com/search/21+51269
Item #21 58298 This light appeared just a little cooler (bluer), even though it is rated at 2800-3000K
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/g4-2-2...0-smd-led-car-warm-white-light-bulb-12v-58298

The “test” bulbs I ordered did not provide a good solution for the Sconce lights or the dining table overhead light. The item #21 58471 did work but due to different socket some modification would be required, also, led's are only on 1 side of disc so not best solution for sconce lights……. Please let me know if you find a better solution.

Lights also included in my trial “test” pack were the 21 51140, 21 109434 and 21 94178
I was not successful getting these to work in any of the RV fixtures. This would be a good sconce light design but they would not "light up"?? Not sure why and not being electrical savvy I am open to sage wisdom.

In summary, replacing 34 Pancake and BR reading light bulbs (inside, basement and outside) @ $10 per 2 pack would be $170

The 7 recessed lights @ $2.87 each = $20.09

Total LED replacement cost
(all but the sconce & overhead dining light, 5 bulbs)

$190.09 OUCH!

Not a cheap solution, but a power saver for those who camp without shore power.

Me, I will probably have a few LED’s on hand and will replace “old” bulbs as they burn out....it will SEEM like I am spending less. :rolleyes:

Good luck and happy lighting!!

smiley-face-wallpaper.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
OK, here are the “TEST” results. Please NOTE that I AM NOT electrically inclined so these “findings” are far from foolproof :eek:

1156/1157 and reading lamps LED substitute (all pancake lights and 2 reading lights over bed)
Item #21 48999
Not as “warm” as original bulbs (6000-6500K), but decent light, no modification required

No modification required
Item # 21 51269 (3000-3500K) warm, very similar to original bulb color temp (my choice)
Item #21 58298 This light appeared just a little cooler (bluer), even though it is rated at 2800-3000K
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/g4-2-2...0-smd-led-car-warm-white-light-bulb-12v-58298

Lights also included in my trial “test” pack were the 21 51140, 21 109434 and 21 94178
I was not successful getting these to work in any of the RV fixtures. This would be a good sconce light design but they would not "light up"?? Not sure why and not being electrical savvy I am open to sage wisdom.

Now that you've had the bulbs for a little while, How has your experience been?

I did find an article on Trailer life that discusses the LED bulbs.
http://www.trailerlife.com/rv-trailer-news/the-led-revolution-shedding-light-on-the-new-bulbs/

lduguay

Now that you've had the bulbs for a little while, How has your experience been?

We just had a 4 day weekend and I am limited to my packet of "sample" bulbs. Lighting is very similar when staying in the 3K range. We did love that the reading lamp replacement LEDs were NOT HOT......the original mini flood bulbs got VERY hot. We do not dry camp so the power consumption advantage is not a factor for us. The key for us is that the fixtures stay cool.....that has gotta help with the life of the fixtures and surrounding materials. We do hope the lifespan of the LEDs will be long as you will not be dealing with filaments breaking from all the bouncing while traveling.

So, long story short.....I am ordering replacement LEDs for all my pancake and recessed lights. Still not sure what I am gonna do about the sconce & dining room overhead lights....probably nothing since we do not dry camp.

happy_face_new.jpg

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Were the bulbs your using for the pancake and recessed lights still as bright as an incandesent bulb or did they end up much dimmer?

lduguay

Were the bulbs your using for the pancake and recessed lights still as bright as an incandesent bulb or did they end up much dimmer?

They are a slightly dimmer, but very usable......we tend to use only 1 side of the double pancakes.

We like the ambience.
Anmache-sexy.jpg

PeternLiane

View attachment 18453

Shipping is free from this site, but be prepared for approx 6 weeks before you receive LED's from HongKong.

Item #21 48999

No modification required

The “test” bulbs I ordered did not provide a good solution for the Sconce lights or the dining table overhead light. The item #21 58471 did work but due to different socket some modification would be required, also, led's are only on 1 side of disc so not best solution for sconce lights……. Please let me know if you find a better solution.

In summary, replacing 34 Pancake and BR reading light bulbs (inside, basement and outside) @ $10 per 2 pack would be $170

The 7 recessed lights @ $2.87 each = $20.09

Total LED replacement cost
(all but the sconce & overhead dining light, 5 bulbs)

$190.09 OUCH!

Not a cheap solution, but a power saver for those who camp without shore power.

Me, I will probably have a few LED’s on hand and will replace “old” bulbs as they burn out....it will SEEM like I am spending less. :rolleyes:

Good luck and happy lighting!!

View attachment 18454

I think that I'll be replacing my lights as the go out. Cheaper in the long run.