Defrosting

danemayer

Sandie, some care is required. Dometic warns against using sharp objects or hair driers that can permanently damage the fridge interior. That said, if you have a hair drier with a low temp setting, and are careful, that might be a way.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just use a hair drier. But I do not recommend it
I think that they caution not to use one but if you are careful it should not be a problem.
There is a lot of plastic in these refers and plastic does not like heat.
Keep the hair drier moving and don't get too close.

Peace
Dave

Sandie

I turned it up to the warmest setting and that catch tray in the back had a bit of water in it so the frost buildup must be melting some. Thinking we may get our large cooler from our pop up days and transfer food into that for the night and just it off.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
This is JMHO. I have developed, thru trial and error, an opinon that unless it gets to be a big build-up of ice we don't defrost. It just seems to me that our freezer works more efficiently with that ice layer. It seems easier to keep the fridge in the safety zone. Now if it builds up and starts blocking air flow to the lower fridge then naturally we would defrost.

When we defrost we leave the fridge closed, turn the unit off and open the freezer door(s). Also, line the empty freezer with about 4 sham wows in the bottom of each side it's back on in an hour and the lower stuff is just fine. I forgot to mention that I have the Oklahoma heat on my side. It's worked well just do it at a time that the sun is not blasting the fridge slide.

RoadJunkie

Sandie, some care is required. Dometic warns against using sharp objects or hair driers that can permanently damage the fridge interior. That said, if you have a hair drier with a low temp setting, and are careful, that might be a way.

This is the approach I used...CAREFULLY apply low heat at a distance (10-12 inches) from the fins, it doesn't take much to get the process started, then it seems to accelerate on it's own. I used a plastic knife to lift the frozen sections off the fins. No prying! They can gently be removed. Or you can do what my mom used to do; take a bowl and fill with warm water and place under the fins.

Oh, please don't sequel on me to Dometic about using a low temperature hair dryer. You know...what happens on the forum...

MTPockets

Did ours 2 times in last 6 months.... When outdoor temps & humidity are lower, less frequent need to defrost. Just emptied it and put most contents in a cooler, then turned off frig with doors left open. Placed towells inside to catch drips. remove ice chunks as they drop away. About an hour or so later the ice is gone. dry with towells and replace the contents.

Sandie

@ChopperBill...I had to chuckle a bit when I momentarily had no idea of what an auto scraper was. I haven't seen one of those in over 30 years. I don't even think they sell them where I live. LOL