Disk Brakes - Oil Bath Bearings

Gary521

For those of you that have converted to disk brakes, how many have converted to oil bath bearings and what have been the results? In researching what I need to get to do this job, I ran across a video showing the ease of maintenance and this appealed to me.

gregw

I was told by my repair facility (independent general trailer type non RV) that oil bath is only good if you are going to pull every day. When they sit any length of time the side that doesn't have the oil on it dries out and will leak. Not sure if that is true but sounded reasonable.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Two years ago I saw a display of DRV coaches. Three out of four of them were leaking oil from the oil bath. Not sure if they still use that system.
I know there are two schools of thought on this but I prefer grease.
Never worry about a leak.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
So - has anyone actually seen rusty oil bath bearings? Have pictures? Even googling just brings up a a few "i saw it on the net" references.

For those of you that park your truck during the non camping season, are you concerned that the oil bath bearings in your floating hub rear axle may be rusting away while you sleep?

I find it hard to believe a trailer that may only sit 3-5 months would have 'dry bearings' inside a sealed system and start rusting.

And if the proper oil is used, shouldn't be a problem at all.

This is just an example FWIIW.
I use Redline Shockproof oil in my motorcycle transmission.

The pictures below are after the bike sat for 4+ months with the oil drained from the trans, before removing it for a 6 speed replacement gear set.
There was no rotational movement of these gears and bearings from the time the bike was placed on the jack in November until I tore it down the following February or March.

Attachments

• Trans_work_05.jpg
    Trans_work_05.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 67
  • Trans_work_07.jpg
    Trans_work_07.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Chopperno1

My boat trailer is a 2006 ez loader single axle with oil bath hubs. Knock on wood I have not had any issue at all. I have only changed the oil one time and that was when I had a issue with the drum brakes. I replaced the seals at the same time. The original bearings are still the ones in use. This trailer sits for months with no use, 2 weeks ago I took it down to the Marathon in the Florida keys which is a 6 hour trip each way. Based on my experience I would not hesitate to own a trailer equipped with oil bath systems. My previous boat trailer, previous camper, and current camper have the grease fittings and again years of use and many miles without issue.

porthole

Retired
I contacted Kodiak Brakes and inquired about using Red Line Shockproof gear oil with their hubs and bearings.

This is the reply I received:

Not familiar with that brand but as long as it's a synthetic 80/90 gear oil it should work fine.

Regards,

Jesse Meldrum

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

On our journey to the Goshen rally two years ago, we met up with a very unsatisfied DRV owner. Beautiful coach, but the third oil bearing to go bad in 300 miles. The third time was the clincher. Apparently the wheel went dry very soon after the last repair a day before. They made sure that it was full of oil. The bearing went dry, overheated, and they lost the entire tire with body damage. Stuck for two days. The mobile repair was replacing it with a greased bearing. When they reach their destination they were going to have the other three replaced with greased bearings. I have heard that DRV had a lot of problems with the oil bearings and now made them a option and the greased bearing standard. I wonder why anyone would consider oil bearings when greased bearing have a terrific track record.

porthole

Retired
On our journey to the Goshen rally two years ago, we met up with a very unsatisfied DRV owner. Beautiful coach, but the third oil bearing to go bad in 300 miles. The third time was the clincher. Apparently the wheel went dry very soon after the last repair a day before. They made sure that it was full of oil. The bearing went dry, overheated, and they lost the entire tire with body damage. Stuck for two days. The mobile repair was replacing it with a greased bearing. When they reach their destination they were going to have the other three replaced with greased bearings. I have heard that DRV had a lot of problems with the oil bearings and now made them a option and the greased bearing standard. I wonder why anyone would consider oil bearings when greased bearing have a terrific track record.

DRV was the first mass produced RV to have MOR/ryde IS from the factory. DRV does their own install of the IS and the Kodiak disc brakes at their plant. When the trailer is road ready they are sent to MOR/ryde for alignment and final inspection in order for MOR/ryde to sign off on the warranty. That is the reason you see so many non graphic covered DRV trailers at MOR/ryde (white or plain paint).

A lot of the DRV's had oil in the hubs.
A lot of the MOR/ryde installed IS and Kodiak disc brakes have greased bearings.

Causes me to ponder, did DRV use the correct oil? Did they use the correct seals? Did they put in the correct amount of oil?
Grease and oil bath hubs/bearings have different types of seals. One is designed to keep oil in, the other to keep contaminants out.

I have a bottle of Lucas hub oil and new seals and caps and had planned on trying the oil bath when I did the bearings.

When I had the opportunity to have my MOR/ryde IS replaced (that is another story) at 4 years and 20,000+ miles I got to see what my bearings looked like.

Quality bearings from the get-go, installed and greased properly, and they looked as good as the day they were originally installed. So I never bothered to try the oil bath. But I may on the next rig, time will tell.

BTW, "full of oil" is not correct. Just like the oil pan in your car or truck, there is a proper level.

Gary521

Wow - thanks for the reply from everyone. Based upon all of this, I think when I make the conversion, I will stick with the grease. I have see the oil bath used on boat trailers with and without success and comments regarding rv's ( here and other forums ) with the same results. As an update, I too contacted Kodiak and asked about your comments regarding leaking - just to see what they would say. The person I talked to said that "yes, leaking is an issue with trailers." He said that trucks use the system but seem to have it developed to the point where it is perfected. ( his comments not mine ).

dave10a

Many state that oil bearing will rust from condensation if setting for long periods of time. I had a diesel pusher that had oil bearings in the front. It sat all winter for many years with no problem. I wonder how many are preaching this as fact with no experience. And are simply parroting something the heard form others that had no experience. Also many semi-trailers sit for extended periods of time that don't have problems. So I think people should post their actual experience and not hear say. Sorry for the lecture, but I like the facts and not hear say.

porthole

Retired
Many state that oil bearing will rust from condensation if setting for long periods of time. I had a diesel pusher that had oil bearings in the front. It sat all winter for many years with no problem. I wonder how many are preaching this as fact with no experience. And are simply parroting something the heard form others that had no experience. Also many semi-trailers sit for extended periods of time that don't have problems. So I think people should post their actual experience and not hear say. Sorry for the lecture, but I like the facts and not hear say.

Experience and having searched multiple times for this issue just leads me to the same conclusion, all hearsay with no facts.

Condensation could be a problem with boat trailers. But the issue with 'hot bearings' being dunked in cold water can be a cause of concern no matter what type of bearing and lube you use.
On two of the boating forums I participate on, those that have used oil filled bearings have had no issues with them. Some of that expeierence goes back 6-7 years.

And so we have Vanilla and Chocolate, grease or oil (or liquid grease or 'semi-fluid')

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

One guy said they can rust and the thread turn into a rusty bearing debate.
We have 36 End dump Trailers and California DOT requires us to do a BIT inspection every 90 days on every trailer. We are always changing out inner wheel seals and break shoes because the brake shoes are saturated with oil.
The oil filled hub is a better way to go for lubrication but possibly more of a PITA.
You would need to remove the center hub caps, or have the caps with the holes in to be able to monitor the oil level in the hub. And continuously monitor the inner seals to make sure there not sweating or leaking onto your brakes.

Just my experience not what I've heard

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
the third oil bearing to go bad in 300 miles
Apparently the wheel went dry very soon after the last repair a day before
They made sure that it was full of oil
The bearing went dry, overheated
mobile repair was replacing it with a greased bearing
the other three replaced with greased bearings

Well you are picky. They said it was filled to the full marker.

Whatever.

I guess they also mentioned that the "tech" who did the repair also used the correct & very expensive 'Unitized oil seal'?

3 bearings bad in 300 miles. Sounds like at least two of them were replaced incorrectly. "Seepage", which looked to be the common issue with several of the DRV's I had seen at MOR/ryde, will not drain a hub dry in a couple hundred miles.

Someone not familiar with the the system may not realize that the caps have vents.

- - - Updated - - -

One guy said they can rust and the thread turn into a rusty bearing debate.

And a leak debate :cool:

You would need to remove the center hub caps, or have the caps with the holes in to be able to monitor the oil level in the hub.

The original wheels on our Cyclone had wheel center caps with removable caps for access to the bearing cap.

Both sets of replacement 17.5" wheels also have the removable center caps. Although I don't think they would hold up very long to constant R&R. The pop off cap is just chromed plastic.

Gary521

When I recently changed the shackles on my trailer, I found a couple of the grease caps had fallen off. The cap was fairly loose even after putting it back on. When I was researching the idea of disk brakes, I liked the design of the grease caps on a couple of brands that screwed on. Seemed like a good thing. When I was searching for disk brakes I ran across another brand of brakes that were cheaper than Kodiak or Titan and considered getting them. I even contacted the manufacturer to see if they were appropriate for our type of application and they said yes. But this brand did not have the screw on grease cap. Then the idea of the oil bath came into light with the screw on caps. When I was changing the shackles, I hated removing the tires as they weight a ton and I have a bum shoulder. Extended maintenance periods with no lifting tires perked my interest.
So. I though I would ask for any history from you folks about the oil thing. After your reply, I checked with my son-in-law, who owns a mid sized trucking company, if he has any experience with this. Who normally asks a son-in-law anything worthwhile? ( Just kidding ) Anyhow, he said that leaks are an issue.

dave10a

It looks like someone should tell Frieghtlliner and other chassis builders that oil bearings are unreliable and will rust out :-0

I lost an axle with grease bearing on I80 in Nevada and while waiting for road side assistance a trucker was kind enough to try and help. He explained that he had seen a lot of grease bearing failure on the road over the years and was amazed that oil bearing are not used more in the RV industry. He went on to say he would never allow grease bearing on his equipment after his bad experience with them.

It looks like there are two sides to every story. However, hear-say and emotion seems to rule in most discussions for some reason 😉