Does the 2009 Bighorn come with 2 batteries

jcochran

I was talking to a guy with a 3400RL and he indicated that he had 2 batteries. There is a compartment in the generator garage but no second battery. Please confirm. I have a 3055RL 2009

jnbhobe

My 09 3370 has the battery box in the front compartment for a second battery but the unit only came with one battery,I made up cables and added the second battery. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !!;);) Jon

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I believe Heartland does not include batteries with the coach. The battery is a dealer add on that may or may not be included in your deal. Some owners add a second battery or more depending on the type of battery they use and their camping style. Some use 4- 6 volt batteries and wire them as 12 volts. These folks usually do a lot of boondocking (dry camping) with no hookups.

Delaine and Lindy

Don't know about the BH but the Landmark (Augusta) came with two battery's. Don't know who installed them but had to 12 volt Interstate Battery's. GBY...

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
This is a dealer issue, not a factory issue.

Travel trailers and fifth wheels do not come from the factory with batteries from any of the manufacturers. They are a dealer installed item. Transporters like me have to carry and install our own battery so the breakaway works, then take our battery back out when we deliver to the dealers.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
J Cochran,
I have 2 batteries that came from the factory built in to the rig. The only way I know of getting the extra batteries is to order your unit, generator prepped and it comes that way from the factory.

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
Mine is a 2009 BH3055 and I ordered it with gen prep but it only came with one battery. I had the dealer installed a second one.

Bob

jcochran

Thanks everyone. Seems like only one battery. I am going to add a second and rig in a series for longer lasting 12 volt.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
NO batteries are installed at the factory they are installed by the dealers, not even generator prepped units are shipped with batteries. Batteries are installed by the dealers.

The only time factories ship units with batteries installed is when they are going to a show like the Hershey PA show.

jbeletti

landmarks come with 1 battery.

Edgar is correct. Here it is also from the product website:

POWER

• Upgraded 80 AMP/12V DC Converter w/Integrated Charge Wizard
  • 55 Amp Marine Cord w/Electric Power Cord Reel
  • Dual Battery Box - One 12V Battery
  • Convenient Battery Shut-Off Switch
  • 110V Exterior Electrical Receptacles
I believe that "at this time", Landmark is the only Heartland product that is supplied with one battery from the factory. For all other lines, this is a dealer supplied item.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I stand corrected on the battery issue. All I can tell you is that I ordered my 2009 rig gen prepped and it came with 2 batteries. Where they were installed is a mystery to me. One battery was located near the hydraulics for the slides, and the other was placed in the front compartment nearby where they had done the gen prep. They were very close together although in different compartments.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I also must take a little bite of the crow. In all the years I've purchased an RV from a dealer, the battery has been supplied by the dealer. Heartland may be the first in the industry to do this.

azbound

I ordered my 2009 in early Dec. last year, took delivery about 20 days later and it had two batteries. One in the front compartment and the other in the side compartment with the Hydraulics. i just assumed they came from the factory. There was no discussion with the dealer about batteries when I ordered the trailer. They were just there and I first saw the trailer the day following delivery and it appeared the dealer hadn't done anything yet. He ask for severale days before we did the PDI to clean and prep the trailer.

So I don't know who provided the batteries but was really under the impression it came from the factory with batteries. Any way that is what I assumed and you know what they say about assuming!

Shadowchek

My BH came with one 24 group battery in a battery box underneath the hydrolics. I ditched the battery box, built a new platform out of inch and an eighth plywood with tie downs at each end. I turned the battery sideways and added 2 more so now I have 3, 24 group batteries in my original compartment. I will be upgrading these to 6 volt t-105's and adding a 4th nearby in the front compartment because we do like our boon docking. I would prefer larger batteries but it isn't worth the extra space to me and this should be sufficient. This will be great since it will only take up a little of my front storage space. IWFM.

Greg

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
I'm with you greg.I now have two 12 volts but we also do a lot of boondocking. I think the 4 6 volts is the way to go, even though I have a generator, you hasve certain hours you can run it so the 6 volts will last a lot longer.

Just to clarify, 6 volt batteries won't hold a charge any longer than 12 volt batteries...assuming of course they are of like design ie; wet cell! Depending on the design, they will handle more cycles because the plates are thicker. A cycle is a discharge and charge..provided the discharge is not more than 50%..or about 12.3 volts. If you discharge more than 50% too often, you will shorten battery life considerably, regardless of the voltage, type or design.

rickbsgu

rickbsgu
The dealer would have installed mine. I opted for 2 6-volt batteries, which cost an extra $400 to purchase and install. I think I'd probably like to get 2 more - on my old Bounder 4 batteries with a 2000w Heart Interface inverter, I can run the microwave.

Previous post may be technically correct, but a moot point. The bottom line is you will get much longer and stronger service from 6 volt golf cart batteries than anything but the huge 24 volt systems they put in the big class A luxo-liners.

Sorry Rickbsgu..longer (meaning more cycles) but not stronger assuming the batteries are of wet cell design. AGMs will give you higher voltage closer to their drop point and of course are maintenance free. Remember my friend, 12.86 volts is 100% charge for any 12 volt battery..again, regardless of type, size or design. Not sure how technically correct...is not relevant? Please explain!