Equa-Flex Equalizer and Center Hanger Problem - looking for input!

jwm

Trying links on the pictures instead...

Found this when I looked under the trailer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ASWOls2WliMTNoZkhNLTRMUkU/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ASWOls2Wlia2pGalNKM19rcWM/view?usp=sharing

Not sure how long it has been this way. It also bent the center hanger. It is somewhat visible in this picture.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ASWOls2WliSm1NYW5JQm1namM/view?usp=sharing

Bolt sheared off near the head. I can get the nut off the bolt, but I cannot get the bolt out or the head of the bolt out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ASWOls2WliVnVfME9ENXlkLVE/view?usp=sharing

Questions:
1. Can I get the center hanger straightened or suggest putting in a new one since bending compromises the integrity?
2. There are a bunch of discussions out there on upgrades, and I have gone through some, but it is overwhelming. Any suggestions on replacement or stick with the Equa-Flex?
3. I cannot get the bolt out. The head sheared off near the bracket but beating it and using a wrench on it doesn't work. Is it that corroded that it is just stuck on or am I missing something?
4. Also, on the bolt side, is this a shoulder bolt (or whatever it is called) going through a sleeve/bushing? I have sprayed it and keep soaking it in an effort to free it up.
5. I hear Lippert has changed their warranty - think this would be covered under it? This is a 2013 trailer.

Thank you for any advise!
Josh

2013 Sundance 34QB

danemayer

Hi jwm,

You'll have to make a few more posts before you can attach pictures. In the meantime, if you can post the pics to a free photo posting service, you should be able to link to them.

danemayer

My guess is that the hangars will all have to be cut off and new ones welded on and you'll probably need to have the frame inspected along with the rest of the suspension. The question that really needs to be answered is what caused the damage.

Will the new axle warranty cover damage to suspension hangars and other parts? Only Lippert can answer that.

wdk450

See my previous thread on the same sort of problem, but somewhat worse: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48295-Badly-Bent-Frame-A-Trend?

I found a local welder to where I was stopped, who seemed competent, and in fact did the same sort of repair on another brand of 5th wheel a little time before he fixed mine. Look for bending I beams, and cracks in those I beams. You may have to get a flatbed lowboy semi to get you to the repair shop, if it is very far.

I theorize this was due probably a combination of sharp turns backing into spaces, and travelling down curvy roads, besides an inadequate design and build. Best of all worlds would be to get the MorRyde Independent Suspension installed with its steel I beam box, and removal of springs, equalizers and shackles. Unfortunately, this is only done at the MorRyde facility in Elkhart, In.

Good Luck!!!

jnbhobe

The bolts are pressed into the brackets, looks like a lot of wear so the bushings are worn out and it looks like the wet bolts were never greased.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you get it repaired have them weld 2" square tube between the hangers. Have it done on all three sets of hangers.
I would get a new set of wet bolts with the heavy duty shackles.
Greasing those wet bolts regularly will give you the opportunity to inspect your suspension.

Peace
Dave

HornedToad

I think I have a similar problem, just noticed this morning on the way to storage, the axles were fine when I checked the tire pressure on the way home.

I'm afraid to drive it like this the 25 miles to the RV alignment shop...

I think I should use the level up to raise the frame and then tack weld the shackle back in to place temporarily for the trip to the shop???
a38d1ea80f556f3992d65086678324fd.jpg
530a80cc96464caa5845921b5d135787.jpg
e791fb90869fec116595b87989f5ae82.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

I think I have a similar problem, just noticed this morning on the way to storage, the axles were fine when I checked the tire pressure on the way home.

I think I should use the level up to raise the frame and then tack weld the shackle back in to place temporarily for the trip to the shop???

You can't move that trailer. You actually broke the spring perch right off. You'll need to get a welder to come to you to fix that unless it can be towed somehow

danemayer

a38d1ea80f556f3992d65086678324fd.jpg
530a80cc96464caa5845921b5d135787.jpg
e791fb90869fec116595b87989f5ae82.jpg

Lippert ships the frames with hangars welded in place. If the welds failed, you should call Lippert and if as your signature says, it's a Voltage, you should also call Dutchmen.

HornedToad

You can't move that trailer. You actually broke the spring perch right off. You'll need to get a welder to come to you to fix that unless it can be towed somehow

I bribed one of my oilfield buddies to come by tonight with his welder and hopefully we can get it tacked back on for the ride to the shop. I've got this ODC thing about doing a walk around every time I pull out... today it probably save me from a catastrophic failure???

Lippert ships the frames with hangars welded in place. If the welds failed, you should call Lippert and if as your signature says, it's a Voltage, you should also call Dutchmen.

I've got too much tailgating paid for & planned to wait on Lippert or Dutchman, I'll just fix it myself!!! The last time I tried to scheduled service with the local Dutchman dealer they put me on a 3 month waiting list that turn into 6, so I just drove to Dallas to get it done before the season.

It's my fault and I'll admit it... we recently moved and I was cleaning all the empty boxes from my garage, I opened the ramp and threw them inside the railing for a short trip to the clubhouse dumpsters. To get closer, so I didn't have to walk too far, I back over a curb and I'm sure that's what did it???

ksucats

Am not where I can check my paperwork but when I had my SOB Lippert had a five year warranty on the frame and slide-outs. I'd give them a call stat.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My bro recently had the same thing happen to one of his spring hangers.
He bought the hanger from a trailer shop and found a mobile welder to come out and weld it. Think it cost him around $80 for the welder.
He ground off the old welds and had it all prepped before the welder got there.

Peace
Dave

HornedToad

The hanger was upside down and we could not get it to line back up. Instead of a tack weld I got the axle lined back up with some come along straps. Headed to the shop tomorrow morning, I be able to drive 30 mph on the old Hwy 80 most the way and will have a chase vehicle.

Wish me luck!!!

c37ec295bc48f09b190d1ea8de1ddbf4.jpg
275a4fef1a9cf70fbad32a54a751242d.jpg
5ac4337afcdf70897c0f7fbcd49fd7ad.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Mike, be careful!!! Just trade that in on a new Cyclone, problem solved!

HornedToad

Mike, be careful!!! Just trade that in on a new Cyclone, problem solved!

Oops... I forgot to crop the photo. Those Cyclones have Lippert frames too, and I'm kinda partial to the new RW full paint scheme!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oops... I forgot to crop the photo. Those Cyclones have Lippert frames too, and I'm kinda partial to the new RW full paint scheme!!!

Well then, trade it in for the RW!

Bones

Good luck. You may be better off removing the broken axle since you have two more or remove all the tires from the front axle and chain up the broken axle.

HornedToad

Good luck... remove all the tires from the broken axle.

Thanks Bones. The straps & my luck held out and I made it to the shop. If I had a problem on the road your suggestion to remove the tires on the broken axle was plan B.

The alignment shop is going to fix the broken hanger and reinforce the rest.

I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Strapping the broken axle was a quick temporary fix that worked... for me!!!

HornedToad

The shop got me back on the road today in time for my tailgate this weekend with a new hanger for $210.34. I'm going to order a bushing kit and wet bolts and take it back to swap those out and reinforce the hangers.
8f883a802ba508977faa94a3050417a9.jpg

HornedToad

Thank you for any advise!
Josh

2013 Sundance 34QB

Back to the OP... Here is my advice from my recent experience. Since you know you have a problem you can get it to the shop before it fails. Of all the trailer shops in the oilfield I couldn't find a single one that would work on an RV suspension, I'm sure it has something to do with their insurance. I finally called an RV dealer who said they were too busy to work on it but gave me the name of the local alignment shop were they take their work and I dealt directly with that shop. Finally while your messing with it you might as well take care of any other items like replacing the bushings and adding wet bolts.

Good Luck and Safe Travels!!!