First time in Bighorn today....questions?

NHCelt

After having pretty much decided on the Bighorn as a likely replacement for our Cameo, we managed to get a walk-through today at the closest dealership... 2 1/2 hours away. Although not the floorplan we are interested in (we like the 3270rs) the verdict was good, but I have questions that the weekend staff couldn't answer, and I know that I can get the correct answers here...

1. How do I manage the dual ac whisper quiet on a 30 amp connection....can one unit be shut off, or perhaps the system manages power itself?
2. Staying with the same topic, can two zones be set separately for different temps.
3. I am used to having one ac, with one heat pump. Can I have just one heat pump with this system that will heat both rooms?
4. What is the verdict on the Sailun tires. I had upgraded to g rated goodyear on the Cameo, and it was the right move. Are there any issues with Sailun?
5. At first glance, the Jensen stereo is disappointing, as is the speaker setup in the livingroom...but I would like to hear how well it works and sounds in the real world. Seems like nowhere to add a center channel speaker...
6. The livingroom furniture is far more comfy than the Cameo...how does it hold up, and how big of an improvement is the theater seating over the recliners?
7. The unit we walked through has the residential fridg, which was my plan. How is it working out in practice?
8. Lastly for now, the drop frame is much lighter than the double stacked tubes on the Cameo...any frame issues?

Thanks from the new guy. Still feeling my way around the Bighorn, but liking it so far!

Celt...in snowy NH. Winter is here, here.

jbeletti

Hi and welcome from Tennessee! I'll speak to a couple of your comments inline below.

Jim

After having pretty much decided on the Bighorn as a likely replacement for our Cameo, we managed to get a walk-through today at the closest dealership... 2 1/2 hours away. Although not the floorplan we are interested in (we like the 3270rs) the verdict was good, but I have questions that the weekend staff couldn't answer, and I know that I can get the correct answers here...

1. How do I manage the dual ac whisper quiet on a 30 amp connection....can one unit be shut off, or perhaps the system manages power itself?
There is no automatic power management in the Bighorn. Each AC should be wired to a different leg of power. So when you're on 50 amp power - it's all good. When you're on 30 amp power, both legs are combined at the power pedestal. I'm not certain but I believe you can run two ACs from 30 amps of power but others with experience in this area should weigh in on this thread.

2. Staying with the same topic, can two zones be set separately for different temps.
Yes - but... Each AC unit will have it's own thermostat. But with a combined duct system, each AC unit will affect the entire coach. That said, during cooling season, we set the bedroom AC to a lower temp than the living room AC. This allow the coach to be cooled in a way that keeps much AC noise upstairs when we are downstairs. The downstairs AC kicks on when the upstairs AC can't cool the coach enough to satisfy the downstairs thermostat.

3. I am used to having one ac, with one heat pump. Can I have just one heat pump with this system that will heat both rooms?
Yes, if the Bighorn has the Whisper Quiet Centrally Ducted system, one heat pump will heat the entire coach. In even colder weather, you may want two heat pumps or you may wish to supplement by using the fireplace. This is what many people do.

4. What is the verdict on the Sailun tires. I had upgraded to g rated goodyear on the Cameo, and it was the right move. Are there any issues with Sailun?
To date, I've heard of zero issues with the load range G Sailun tires. If you're budget allows, I believe you may still be able to upgrade to the Goodyear G614. Better tire? Maybe. Better warranty - likely. Anecdotal evidence shows both are decent tires.

5. At first glance, the Jensen stereo is disappointing, as is the speaker setup in the livingroom...but I would like to hear how well it works and sounds in the real world. Seems like nowhere to add a center channel speaker...
I have no experience with this system - others will weigh in on this item.

6. The livingroom furniture is far more comfy than the Cameo...how does it hold up, and how big of an improvement is the theater seating over the recliners?
We love our theater seating (Landmark) over traditional recliners. Unsure of the brand used in Bighorn and how it holds up.

7. The unit we walked through has the residential fridg, which was my plan. How is it working out in practice?
We love the residential refer. We're on our second coach with this feature and Heartland now has this dialed in pretty well. A small dedicated inverter is in place to power only the refer on travel days. I've traveled as much as 12 hours and the inverter was still making AC power for the refer. Bear in mind that this option is generally not for "the boondocker" unless you install other equipment (generator and/or solar).

8. Lastly for now, the drop frame is much lighter than the double stacked tubes on the Cameo...any frame issues?
I-beam frames are widely used and is a decent platform. I wouldn't worry about this at all.

Thanks from the new guy. Still feeling my way around the Bighorn, but liking it so far!

Celt...in snowy NH. Winter is here, here.

NHCelt

Hi Jim and thanks for the detailed response. I've spent the better part of the past couple days working with dealers and hope to come to an agreement with one today. Looks like it will be a spring pickup in the southeast on a 3250RS order.

Celt

Wmnmy

NHCelt first congrats on new rig I have the same bighorn as you and I run two Ryobi 2200 watt generators parrelel you will be able to run one Ac at a time and tv lights water pump . They are not on same thermostat so it won't be a problem just make sure one is turned off or it will make breaker on genny trip . I have not had any problems with the sailun tires had them on three trailers and no problem so far ...we don't have the residential fridge but double stainless steel norcold love it ...enjoy..

Last edited by a moderator: