Four Season Use - AC with Heat Pump

Wiff155

I am ordering a Cyclone 4200. I will be using it all year round. Can anyone advise if I should get the AC with heat pump just in the bedroom or all three AC units.

danemayer

Hi Wiff155,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm sure owners who have heat pumps will chime in and give you the benefit of their experience.

Bohemian

Why? Why would you want a heat pump in the bedroom and not everywhere? What are your expectations? Uses? Reasons?

oscar

My experience with roof top heat pumps is that they are not very efficient/productive and you are still sitting in the noise 24/7 If you are going 4 season I would spend money on insulation/double glass. Electric oil filled radiators are handy in the extremes (bedroom, garage). Something tells me you will be burning quite a bit of propane.

remoandiris

I will be using it all year round.

Will it be used year round in NY or somewhere with a milder winter? FYI, the garage floor is poorly insulated and opening the deck(s) will negate any insulation in those rooms.

The electric fireplace puts out decent heat. If the thermostat actually worked it would be a plus.

sengli

I have been told the heat pumps are only good to about 40 degrees. Colder than that they are hardly worth using.

Bohemian

Heat pumps used in a cold, damp environment will ice up on the outside coil. Ice is an insulator. So, yes, heat pumps can be useless below about 40F. Thy can be impoved by having a defrost cycle resistance heater on the outside coils.

On the other hand they heat at a rate somewhere between 12-15 times better than resistance heating. That means for every Kwh of electricity used they move 12-15 Kwh of heat into or out of the home (EER, Energy Efficiency Ratio). Resistance heating has an EER = 1.