Frame Flex repair

brlr2000

I believe I have some flex in the hitch overhang area of the frame. I'm scheduled to get it repaired by HL next November. In the meantime, I'll be removing the Filon sheeting, and replacing with a new piece. My question involves the aluminum subframe and steel frame. I'm pretty sure I'm going to find that the vertical aluminum frame members, near the generator door opening is not attached to the steel frame. Do you think I should at least attempt to screw the aluminum frame to the steel frame? Right now, it's at least 1/2" away from the steel frame. I can see that through the cargo door opening. I'm really not sure what to expect. I would just like to make sure everything is tight and secure before I replace the filon sheeting. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our 07 BH did the samething a few years back. I drilled holes in the steel inside the compartment, used construction adhesive between the 2 parts, and installed somewhat large self tapping sheet metal screws to hold the 2 parts together. It has not seperated again in 4 years. One other thing to check. Remeve the vertical molding inserts and molding under the cap at the outer basement cover ( filon) and make sure the screws are not rusted and broken. These screws hold the filon covering and aluminum frame work to the wall frame. My screws were broken and that made the frame work flex and pull away from the walls. If you have any questions, PM me with your PH# and I can walk you though this repair. I had no need to have any frame repairs done. BTW, all frames have to flex some or they would break. If I can find it, I posted pix of my repair and will put the link here. Here is the link........................//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-it-frame-sag-at-the-front-overhang?highlight=

jnbhobe

If your going in to Heartland for repairs they will probably be pulling the whole front off your rig.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jon, your correct.....but if they do not address the other issue. He will be back at square one.

brlr2000

Yeah, I made a mistake of ordering the filon from my local dealer, before I considered contacting HL. Now that HL agreed to do the repairs, I'm stuck with a $400 sheet of Filon. I thought it wouldn't hurt for me to take the old one down, and at least inspect the frame for obvious problems. It may keep it from getting worse. I still plan on going to HL next year, November, and have them repair it to Lippert's new standards. They also have to repair/replace the sidewall that is cracked under the Bedroom Slide.