Frame Fractures

danemayer

Hi Pafiregrl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

What year/model/floorplan do you have?

What part of the frame has a problem?

Can you describe the problem?

rhenley46

I have a 2005 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. I am second owner and this RV is in immaculate condition. It has been stored inside all it life except for camping trips which have been two to three trips per year. The original owner took it on one long trip from Kentucky to Colorado. This past Saturday I started on a trip to Hilton Head SC and got about 25 miles from home and smelled rubber burning, pulled over to inspect and found the passenger side tires were rubbing the shock mounts at the top. Then I noticed that the axle mount to the frame was leaning in at the bottom. Needless to say I turned around and went back home. I took the wheels off to inspect and found a crack about 1" up from the bottom of the I beam frame the entire length of the spring mounting system.
I have contacted Heartland, they passed me off to Lippert and so far neither have been much help. Lippert says they can give me suggestions on a repair if I give them the serial number off the frame but for the life of me I can't find s/n anywhere. I called Heartland they said their records from that time frame was lost on a damaged hard drive. So at this point basically I have a $20,000 or so RV that is absolutely worthless. The way the frame is broken and where the crack is located I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

This is my very first RV/camper and I got to say I am very discouraged at this point.
The best thing so far is I didn't have a wreck when axles leaned over.

I would post pictures of the cracked area but don't seem to be a way to do that hear.

danemayer

I have a 2005 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon. I am second owner and this RV is in immaculate condition. It has been stored inside all it life except for camping trips which have been two to three trips per year. The original owner took it on one long trip from Kentucky to Colorado. This past Saturday I started on a trip to Hilton Head SC and got about 25 miles from home and smelled rubber burning, pulled over to inspect and found the passenger side tires were rubbing the shock mounts at the top. Then I noticed that the axle mount to the frame was leaning in at the bottom. Needless to say I turned around and went back home. I took the wheels off to inspect and found a crack about 1" up from the bottom of the I beam frame the entire length of the spring mounting system.
I have contacted Heartland, they passed me off to Lippert and so far neither have been much help. Lippert says they can give me suggestions on a repair if I give them the serial number off the frame but for the life of me I can't find s/n anywhere. I called Heartland they said their records from that time frame was lost on a damaged hard drive. So at this point basically I have a $20,000 or so RV that is absolutely worthless. The way the frame is broken and where the crack is located I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

This is my very first RV/camper and I got to say I am very discouraged at this point.
The best thing so far is I didn't have a wreck when axles leaned over.

I would post pictures of the cracked area but don't seem to be a way to do that hear.
Hi rhenley46,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry about your troubles. Is there a large white label on the doorside, near the very front of the frame? That would probably have the numbers Lippert is asking for.

While I'm not an expert on frames, I would think you could get a local welder to repair the damaged area. There are others on the forum here who might have more specific advice.

If you can post pictures to Photobucket, or Google Photos, you can link to them. After another post or two, forum software will allow you to post pictures directly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
On a 2005 model, look inside a kitchen cabinet and there should be a white tag with the information that you need.
Also there is no crack that cannot be fixed by a good welder.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
serial number off the frame but for the life of me I can't find s/n anywhere.

You might have an aluminum tag etched with the VIN pop riveted to the pinbox frame.

You can see my tag on the right in this picture.

Attachments

• 7_way_junction_box.jpg
    7_way_junction_box.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 44

rhenley46

You might have an aluminum tag etched with the VIN pop riveted to the pinbox frame.

You can see my tag on the right in this picture.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback as to where to find s/n tag on frame, I have looked all the places and there is nothing there and no indication there was anything. Lippert is still trying to find a way to find frame print, no luck yet tho. You are correct and most things can be fixed and that is exactally what I am going to do. I can weld but not to the degree that this job would take so I have a couple people looking at it to see what it might cost and then I'll go from there.

I really do appreciate you all for allowing me to vent, so to speak, and for all the positive feed back. That is why forums like these are useful, so many things to learn and opinions to hear, Its great.

wdk450

Get your welder to install some SOLID cross bracing between the I beams at the spring hangars to make a solid BOX. This is what MorRyde does before installing their independent suspension system. The factory cross bracing between the I beams is extremely weak and a joke. This has been a big problem with 5th wheel frames for a long time. Lippert has a service note on cracked frames that includes a recommendation for additional cross bracing between the spring hangar points. I have a .PDF of this Lippert Service note (LIP Sheet 0135B Rev B) attached.

Here is the complete 48 page thread on my same frame damage, with links to pictures before and after the repair: https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48295-Badly-Bent-Frame-A-Trend

Attachments

• Lippert - Repairing Frame Cracks Rev. B.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 42