Front landing gear popping fuse

marv54

I have a 2008 montana 5th wheel. When I try to bring up the front landing legs it always poops the fuse. I looked at the motor for the landing gear and it is very loose. Any help why I t is blowing fuses.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Front landing gear popping fues

Hi Marv54, welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.
You might want to check in over at the Montana forum. They may have an answer for you.

Peace
Dave

Gary521

I am assuming that you have electric landing legs. The jack screws inside the landing legs are binding due to the lack of lubrication. The loose appearing motor has nothing to do with the issue. One possible solution is to add a second motor to help the load and another is to replace the legs altogether. I would do both.

wdk450

Most people have trouble with the landing gear popping the breaker when the legs are going DOWN, as that is when the motor is lifting the load. Going UP, the main time people have problems is when they go up too far, and the telescoping leg pins hit the trailer frame. Your 2008 leg assemblies probably DO need removal from the trailer, disassembly, and lubrication of the long lead screws, and bevel gears. The motor internal gears, and external gear reduction assembly is usually pretty well lubed by the landing gear manufacturer (Venture, Stomberg-Carlson or Domar). Parts are available on the internet, but you need to know which brand of legs you have as some parts are NOT interchangeable. BTW, the LEAD leg is the leg driven by the motor (usually on the door side of the trailer). The FOLLOW leg is on the side opposite the LEAD leg, and is driven by the long telescoping bar from the gear reduction assembly on the LEAD leg. Parts diagrams refer to these designations.

Good luck!!!

Gaffer

You can blow a fuse just as easy going up as down. You also risk breaking the shear pin if you keep bumping up against the stops. Learn where full extension and retraction are on your rig. Paint a mark on the leg if it makes it easier to see. Keep a packet of 30 amp fuses on hand.

caissiel

If the center plates of the legs are allowed to move the gears will bind. And the gear will jam and cause addition friction causing motor load and premature wear of the gears.
On all 3 of my units I had to do modifications to keep the centering plate on center.
I usually check the load by using the manual crank. most of the time it was hard to operate the landing gears manually. And to me an additional motor is not the solution. These units are made for above 7000 lbs loads with one motor.
Just my experience working with most badly designed equipment on RVs. And no improvements for the past 24 years.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

BTW, the LEAD leg is the leg driven by the motor (usually on the door side of the trailer). The FOLLOW leg is on the side opposite the LEAD leg, and is driven by the long telescoping bar from the gear reduction assembly on the LEAD leg. Parts diagrams refer to these designations.

The motor is on the off-door side on our Prowler.

- - - Updated - - -

You can blow a fuse just as easy going up as down. You also risk breaking the shear pin if you keep bumping up against the stops. Learn where full extension and retraction are on your rig. Paint a mark on the leg if it makes it easier to see. Keep a packet of 30 amp fuses on hand.

Ours uses the green 50 amp fuses.

I bought a whole box of them, but since I marked the landing gear I haven't blown any more fuses.