Full Body Paint Option Question

Hi Everyone! Excited to be here as I start research for a possible future purchase of a Heartland Toy Hauler. I downloaded the CY 2014 Retail Pricing sheet so I could get a handle on pricing some Cyclone models. When looking at the options, I see there is, what seems a pricey option, for "Full Body Paint". Can someone please explain this option to me? Why wouldn't the exterior already have a full body paint on it already? Or is this options for people who want some other exterior base paint other than white?

Thanks so much! I already have another question ready for a new thread. :D
Becky

danemayer

Hi Becky,

The standard walls are a fiberglass that is white, or on some models has a gel-infused color, not paint. In some cases, the front and rear caps are now being painted when gel-infused color is used on the sidewalls. Decals are vinyl that is applied to the fiberglass. Based on comments on the forum, it looks to me that to preserve the appearance of the fiberglass, a fair amount of work is required annually using wax or other products.

We have the full body paint option on our 2011. It's almost 4 years old and the paint is resisting signs of fading even though we're based in central Texas and are uncovered in the Texas sun for 7 months out of the year. I wash it frequently but have only waxed it once - last June.

I'm replacing the fenders and got some fresh paint from Heartland's paint vendor that seems to match the 4 year old paint very nicely. So no fading is apparent on the fenders.

Also, the decal patterns on our trailer are painted, so they don't fade, peel, or crack.

So I would say the upside is that 1) it looks good and 2) it wears well. The downside of full body paint is 1) it's expensive, and 2) all replacement parts come in white and need to be painted locally. That's why I had to get paint for the new fenders.

Hi Dan and/or Ann,

Thank you for the valuable information. We will rethink our displeasure with paying for the full body paint option! ;)

Best regards,
Becky

Hi Everyone! Excited to be here as I start research for a possible future purchase of a Heartland Toy Hauler. I downloaded the CY 2014 Retail Pricing sheet so I could get a handle on pricing some Cyclone models. When looking at the options, I see there is, what seems a pricey option, for "Full Body Paint". Can someone please explain this option to me? Why wouldn't the exterior already have a full body paint on it already? Or is this options for people who want some other exterior base paint other than white?

Thanks so much! I already have another question ready for a new thread. :D
Becky

danemayer

One additional thought. Negotiate the deal without the full body paint. Once the dealer is happy that he's making enough profit on the sale, tell him you'd like to add the full body paint to the deal at 60% of the list price for the option. I'd guess that will give him a small additional profit for writing one more line to your order.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I can not explain the option but we fulltime and decided form the gitgo we did not want another RV with decals that peel, fade etc... We ordered our new Cyclone 4000 with full body paint and don't regret it. You can see the differance withnout a dought when you see one with full body paint. Problem is you want see one on the lot with full body paint dealers want order then with it. Camping World advised us they could have sold our unit the day it hit the lot several times just because of the full body paint. The one thing I used when we ordered our from Camping World is I used a quote from one of the Discount RV dealers which was the lowest price I found throughout the country and I got Camping World to match it. The only option we did not get on our unit when we ordered it was the outside TV in the bay.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Last edited:
Great advice! I will be sure to use it!

Thanks, Becky

One additional thought. Negotiate the deal without the full body paint. Once the dealer is happy that he's making enough profit on the sale, tell him you'd like to add the full body paint to the deal at 60% of the list price for the option. I'd guess that will give him a small additional profit for writing one more line to your order.

Thanks Chiefneon! Seems that full body paint is the way to go.

Safe Travels,
Becky
Howdy!

I can not explain the option but we fulltime and decided form the gitgo we did not want another RV with decals that peel, fade etc... We ordered our new Cyclone 4000 with full body paint and don't regerat it. You can see the differance withnout a dought when you see one with full body paint. Problem is you want see one on the lot with full body paint dealers want order then with it. Camping World advised us they could have sold our unit the day it hit the lot several times just because of the full body paint. The one thing I used when we ordered our from Camping World is I used a quote from one of the Discount RV dealers which was the lowest price I found throughout the country and I got Camping World to match it. The only option we did not get on our unit when we ordered it was the outside TV in the bay.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You say that you have the HL MSRP in hand. Add up all the options you want....THEN deduct 25-30% off that price and then make your deal. RV dealers make up their own MSRP's. The sticker price a dealer has is way over inflated and not HL's price. The dealer will still make a profit....just not $20K.