GFI popping after generator start up

hantzum

I have a Cyclone 4200 Ultimate that I purchased back in August. This last weekend we were tailgating and obviously dry camping so I had to fire up the generator. Well, I started it right up and about 30 seconds in the transfer switch clicked over and everything came on except my main TV. Further investigation revealed that none of the sockets in the living room, bedroom, or bathroom worked. So I went into the bathroom and noticed my GFI was popped. So, I pushed it back in and nothing, it wouldn’t reset. Stopped the generator, waited several minutes, fired it back up again. Same thing, no power in the bathroom or on that circuit. It was around 10pm so no hardware stores where open so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 20-amp -120DC GFI outlet because that’s the only one they had and replaced it. As soon as I fired it up and the transfer switch engaged, it popped again. I pushed reset and it popped three more times before finally working. At this point I had power to all outlets. Next day, I went to Camping world and bought a RV 15-amp-120DC GFI replacement and did the same thing. Replaced it and made all connections nice and snug. As soon as I fired up power and the transfer switch clicked the GFI popped, however this time I only had to reset it once before I got power on that circuit. I stopped and started the generator a few more times to make sure and every time it popped the GFI with only one reset needed before power resumed. Thoughts???
It has never done this before on shore power only on this generator fire up. We are going to tailgate again this weekend and I will have shore power this time so I can update this weekend if the GFI pops on shore power but I think it will be just fine. Only seems to happen on generator power.

danemayer

Hi hantzum,

GFIs trip to protect you from a current leakage or short circuit. The problem may be downstream from the outlet. Start by unplugging everything on that circuit. If it stops tripping, try plugging back in one device at a time.

If it still trips with everything unplugged, start examining outlets.

Also, take voltage readings to see if you have exactly 120V between hot and neutral AND hot and ground on the bathroom outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hantzum

Thx Dan,
Already have done that. I have put a votage meter into all outlets with generator running and have 118-128 coming out of all of them. Everything works too. Not much is plugged into the sockets at all times. All I have is the two tv's which are on standby, and a small refrigerator. Thats it. Remember, it only pops once, at that point once I reset it its fine. Perhaps the generator junction box is bad or loose connection??