GM Factory brake controller

Majestic

We are waiting delivery of our new unit with disc brakes. I have read that there are some issues with the factory controller not working with the brake model used by HL.

Has anyone had this issue or is everything ok. Don't want that issue when I take delivery.

Gary

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Re: GM Factor brake controller

I have not heard of anything with the GM brakes control not working with disc brakes. The only thing I have heard/seen is you do not have to set it as high as with drum brakes. A quick call to Lippert might help answer your question. Their PH# is on the portal page on the left side.

Gary521

I have the factory installed brake controller on a Silverado and do not experience any issues.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

We had an issue with our Kodiak disc brakes from Mor Ryde and the controller in our 2011 Chevy. It did not recognize the brakes as there was no "electric signal" from them...the fix is easy, we wired two brake magnet, in series, in the pig tail connection box on the back of the pin box. This "fooled" the controller into thinking we had electric brakes and it immediately sent power to the brakes...that's the simple explanation.

Works perfectly...think they fixed the issue by 2013...you should be OK.

ILH

I have the factory installed brake controller on a Silverado and do not experience any issues.

Never had a problem with my 2011 Sierra with factory controller and RW.

ILH

No... Just the standard factory drums. Sigh.:(

Hunter11

Gary, I can confirm that the Dexter disc brake option will not work with the 2011 and newer GM brake controllers. We placed an order today for a new Grand Canyon and I ordered it with the upgraded axles, disc brakes and 17.5 H rated tires. The Heartland Landmark rep did confirm that the disc brakes would not work with my 2012 so I had the dealer add a Carlisle HBA CAM controller adapter to the deal installed. Hope this helps.

Majestic

Thank you, I was sure other had this problem but I couldn't track down where I had read about this. My unit arrived at the dealer and we are going down to see it on the weekend.

is this adapter on the truck or trailer?

Hunter11

Gary, I was told it will be wired in on the trailer. I was told by the dealer we are buying from that Heartland, Dexter and their service dept. said this would make the disc brakes option work with my built in brake controller. I hope so because I am not paying for anything else to make it work. Please let me know what you find out about yours.

Hunter11

I know the magnets will work and Heartland or Dexter should be including this fix in the disc brake option price to make it work with the Dodge and GM trucks it will not work with. The customer should not have to spend more money after purchasing the option to make it work with their vehicle. Just my $.02

mobilcastle

I think MorRyde has this figured out when installing into Chevys 2011 and newer. I think they use Kodiak disk system and or Dexter. Kodiak replacement pads are much cheaper. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk