GPS recommendations ...

phranc

Any body have an opinion on the Verizon VZ navigator? At ten bucks a month and cancel when you wish,it's cheap enough.

roazo

Sundance Owner
Garmin GPS 18 Comes with N-Route mapping software. You can buy it from WalMart.com for just over $100.00. Works well if you aready have a laptop.None

Tom of Ypsi

We just bought the Garmin 650 and so far love it. After the rally in Goshen we went sight seeing and coming back to the fairgrounds my navigator (Judy) got us turned around. To save my life and our marriage we did the right thing. I do have a DeLorme Street Atlas on my laptop but found it too cumbersome to use while on the road.

bking

We bought a Garmin 660 late last year. We like its larger screen. It has blutooth and I've used it once or twice with my cell phone. It has MP3 player, memory card slot and can play back through truck radio. A bit tinnie sounding We don't use this feature.

We like getting voice notification of upcoming turns and to keep right or left when several lanes split off. This has made travel much easier on the two in cab navigators.

It has a several modes for type of vehicle you're driving. It will recommend different routes based on which vehicle type you select. We set it to "Truck" when towing and "Automobile" when not towing.

We have had occasions when it thinks there is no road yet there is an established one. It is not up to date on some local businesses. This is probably the case with any system that has data stored on the system. I've not checked into how frequently updates are available.

Bottom line - we feel you still need to use sommon sense and have a feel for where you are going. Looking at a map before traveling is still a good way to orient yourself before accepting what the GPS tells you.

kognito

We carry two. We use a Delorme USB GPS in a Ram-mounted laptop in the tow vehicle. there are great add-ons available at http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm

We also have a Magellan explorist 600 for geocashing (my xmas present last year!)

Anyone who uses Delorme, Pilot, or Microsoft streets should bookmark my link and check there often as people are always adding new map add on's

Doug

Admin: Link fixed...

Thanks Jim!

Last edited: