lithium battery / 30amp power supply

banbear

Hello fellow Heartland owners, i have a question that i wasn't able to see has been already posted.

I have a 2020 Cyclone CY4007 Toy hauler

I would like to see if anyone knows if there is a way to install lithium batteries and allow those batteries to power my 30amp devices only? Also, is there also a way to have my onboard generator have the ability to charge those lithium battieries once they get low?

I am doing alot more Harvest Host boondocking over the weekends and i don't want to have my generator running for some of the smaller electrical items that i need (TV / Router / lights...etc). I really don't want to incur the expense of a solar system so I am trying to find alternatives with my current setup that would work.

Any input or recommendations is truely appreciated.

-Brandon

david-steph2018

Our generator charges our lithium batteries without any issues. The Auto generator start kicks on when our batteries get down to 22%, kicks off at 80%.
What do you consider "your 30-amp devices only"?

banbear

television....our router that is plugged in for our wireless in the garage area...plugs for charging devices etc.

actually almost everything except the a/c systems i suppose.

LBR

television....our router that is plugged in for our wireless in the garage area...plugs for charging devices etc.

Wire a 3K watt inverter inline to your entire 120 breaker box. Study up the pros and cons, how to auto-disconnect your converter when inverter is switched on, etc. Coach all occupants how to use, and what heavy draw loads consume to keep from over taxing the system. We always use one of our 2 generators for AC if needed.

Step up to the plate and put on solar.

banbear

Thank you LBR, i will definately look into that. Unfortunately for part-timers the cost to do solar is quite the sticker shock. It doesn't really seem like a good investment at this time when i can modify what i have currently to utlilize my systems.

david-steph2018

Some individuals have installed another breaker box, and then move the circuits they want to run off batteries to that new box.
Wire an inverter to the new box, and have a breaker between the old/new box to isolate the new box when on batteries.
Do you have any solar on the roof or how do you plan to charge without a generator use?

banbear

i do have a solar charge to charge the batteries, but i really only wanted to have the generator charge the batteries when not connected to shore power. The reason is that i would only need to use the batteries to run the devices during 'quiet' hours as to not hear the generator all night. During the day, i could recharge the batteries while having the generator running.

david-steph2018

The inverter you want would need to be large enough to run what devices you want to operate. Plus, enough battery power to supply the inverter.
Figure out what devices you want to operate, how much power these will need, and you will have an ideal concerning the battery bank you will need.
Suggest installing an Auto Generator Start (AGS), so if the batteries go to a low point, our is set at 20% of battery, the generator will start and begin recharging the batteries.

banbear

The inverter you want would need to be large enough to run what devices you want to operate. Plus, enough battery power to supply the inverter.
Figure out what devices you want to operate, how much power these will need, and you will have an ideal concerning the battery bank you will need.
Suggest installing an Auto Generator Start (AGS), so if the batteries go to a low point, our is set at 20% of battery, the generator will start and begin recharging the batteries.
Thanks David, i am looking at an inverter from e-trailer

I am also thinking i will need 2 to 3 lithium batteries.

I do already currently have a AGS on my generator for when voltage gets below a certain point.

Do you recommend anything else for the setup that you are currently using? are you using the lithium batteries to power your rig as well when not hooked to shore power?

david-steph2018

Thanks David, i am looking at an inverter from e-trailer

I am also thinking i will need 2 to 3 lithium batteries.

I do already currently have a AGS on my generator for when voltage gets below a certain point.

Do you recommend anything else for the setup that you are currently using? are you using the lithium batteries to power your rig as well when not hooked to shore power?
What size batteries? Are you talking 100Ah, or 120AH, or 320Ah batteries? We have 960AH in our battery bank. These are 8-120Ah each Elevation brand batteries.
Yes, our batteries power our rig, when not hooked up to shore power.
We also have a "pass-thru" ability with our inverters. Here are our inverters:

Last edited:

banbear

yes, that was the same brand i was looking at
i was going to go with 3 120AH

Do you feel the Victron inverter is better than the Go-Power?

can you also tell me the purpose for the pass-thru you setup? is that necessary?

david-steph2018

yes, that was the same brand i was looking at
i was going to go with 3 120AH

Do you feel the Victron inverter is better than the Go-Power?

can you also tell me the purpose for the pass-thru you setup? is that necessary?
From the Victron manual: "The second level will boost the output of a generator or shore side supply with power taken from the battery."
Here is the company that did our install:

banbear

another question...did you have to replace your charger for the lithium batteries? Or does the stock charger from Heartland work with them?

jmarnell

We just upgraded to lithium batteries in our 2018 Cyclone, and I did replace the converter/charger with a lithium compatible one. The Progressive Dynamics one in our rig was not rated for lithium batteries. You could check the model number of your charger and check their website to see if it's compatible. I've read that some of the newer models are compatible with both regular and lithium batteries.

david-steph2018

another question...did you have to replace your charger for the lithium batteries? Or does the stock charger from Heartland work with them?
All of our components were changed out. Check, but you may need to change the charger. The shop in Nappanee sells the Elevation battery, and the Victron components as well.
One thing I forgot to tell you is, to check with who does your taxes and see what the tax credit is this year for adding solar to your rig. Our tax credit in 2022 was 30% of the total bill.

banbear

We just upgraded to lithium batteries in our 2018 Cyclone, and I did replace the converter/charger with a lithium compatible one. The Progressive Dynamics one in our rig was not rated for lithium batteries. You could check the model number of your charger and check their website to see if it's compatible. I've read that some of the newer models are compatible with both regular and lithium batteries.
i will definately do that - thank you.

Did you get a 12v/60 amp charger or an 12v/80 amp charger?

banbear

All of our components were changed out. Check, but you may need to change the charger. The shop in Nappanee sells the Elevation battery, and the Victron components as well.
One thing I forgot to tell you is, to check with who does your taxes and see what the tax credit is this year for adding solar to your rig. Our tax credit in 2022 was 30% of the total bill.
thank you David, i will check with them and see.

The only thing is i am not adding solar. I just want to have this in place to power my RV. I am going to have my generator charge the system when needed.

banbear

What size batteries? Are you talking 100Ah, or 120AH, or 320Ah batteries? We have 960AH in our battery bank. These are 8-120Ah each Elevation brand batteries.
Yes, our batteries power our rig, when not hooked up to shore power.
We also have a "pass-thru" ability with our inverters. Here are our inverters:
question for you David...does the MultiPlus charge the batteries? I am getting conflicting info. I am not sure if i have to buy another charger to have the generator charge my batteries? or does the MultiPlus have that ability?

david-steph2018

question for you David...does the MultiPlus charge the batteries? I am getting conflicting info. I am not sure if i have to buy another charger to have the generator charge my batteries? or does the MultiPlus have that ability?
Here is some more reading material on the MultiPlus II:

Since you are planning on the Elevation batteries, I would give the company in Nappanee a call and ask about a price for everything you need.