Grey tank plumbing

N2MyWake

Anyone have a diagram of the plumbing layout on a 2014 Trail Runner 29SLE? We just purchased this trailer and took our first outing. The grey tank is leaking from the top, I can tell there is water on top of the underpinning. We're still at the lake but I'm contemplating how to even begin this repair.

I know there is an entry into the grey tank under the bunks, the vent is there too. I suspect there is another in the wall behind the sink but I'm unsure.

I think I will need to drop it and probably the underpinning fabric. I suspect there is wet insulation there. Not the weekend I was hoping for. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

N2MyWake

Well couldn't wait any longer. Found the issue. Broken abs fitting. Flush with the tank.
7f5377e1e4d48f8b8d2845dd1888456a.jpg

Oregon_Camper

Nice repair. Makes me wish they used slightly better quality connectors on items like this....especially where water is a factor.

Did you take any other pictures of the process to access then lower the grey tank?

N2MyWake

I'm finishing up today. The manifold they had under the pantry is insane, I had to cut the whole thing out and rebuild it. Here is the original
f8e5adc026bca5766d5813ea651e3181.jpg

D_BTravelers

Looks like installers get paid by the # of elbows they install! Yikes I am also chasing a leak that I believe is from the front gray tank on my 3650RL. Leaving the unit connected to water pressure and it does not leak a drop. However after one day of camping we have a wet spot about 4' in diameter around the front left stabilizer jack. You can see where the water is following the I-beam down and dripping. I have been into the basement plumbing area as deep as I can go and cannot find anything wet or dripping. I believe it may be exactly what your leak turned out to be. I have asked the factory for a schematic of the plumbing on the unit so I will know where to look perhaps.

N2MyWake

Good luck. I too asked for a schematic (from Robert at corporate) but still haven't received it so I had to go in blind. I feared my tank was cracked and was relieved to see it was just the bulkhead. These rubber boots are a better alternative.

Oregon_Camper

Looks like installers get paid by the # of elbows they install! Yikes I am also chasing a leak that I believe is from the front gray tank on my 3650RL. Leaving the unit connected to water pressure and it does not leak a drop. However after one day of camping we have a wet spot about 4' in diameter around the front left stabilizer jack. You can see where the water is following the I-beam down and dripping. I have been into the basement plumbing area as deep as I can go and cannot find anything wet or dripping. I believe it may be exactly what your leak turned out to be. I have asked the factory for a schematic of the plumbing on the unit so I will know where to look perhaps.

Check your water filter just off the water pump. Mine came loose and I had the exact same wet spot under my front end. Just need to be tighten a bit. (hand tight only)

20170520_082647.jpg

D_BTravelers

I will do that this weekend while we are out. That would be WAY easier than dropping the Coroplast and looking for the tank leak.

Oregon_Camper

I will do that this weekend while we are out. That would be WAY easier than dropping the Coroplast and looking for the tank leak.

BTW...it was the clear part on the filter that was loose, not the connector to the left (as you look at my picture)

Just have someone turn on the water pump as you're looking at the filter...you'll know ASAP if that is the issue.

You can see I put some paper towels under the filter (checked again in 24 hours) to see if any water was still leaking....it was not. Yea!!!

D_BTravelers

Check your water filter just off the water pump. Mine came loose and I had the exact same wet spot under my front end. Just need to be tighten a bit. (hand tight only)

Did yours leak when you were connected to city water, or when the pump ran? The repair place I take my RV to connected to city water for 4 days without a drop. They then put 15-20 gallons of water in both gray tanks on my suggestion and still no leak. That is why I am thinking that the shower drain at the gray tank is the issue; it leaks at the tank joint when continuous water is run down the drain during a shower. If it was leaking at the shower pan I would see the water coming down the pipes in the basement. I may leave the drain open this weekend to see if we still have the same leak. If we still get the leak, then I would believe the problem is in the pipes, not the tank itself. I'll post what I find, and take photos if I can.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you taken down the basement wall to see behind it? I can see our shower drain pipe come down from the shower and go into the grey tank. Maybe you can too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had a water leak in our basement, but found out it was actually just the water inlet on the back of the toilet.

Every time it was flushed, a little water would run down the outside of the water line into the basement to an elbow, then would run to the next elbow, where it would drip down on the carpet.

I kept looking for the problem but never found it until I was down in the basement doing something when the toilet got flushed and I saw the water run along the pipe.

The water inlet just needed to be finger tightened to fix.

D_BTravelers

Factory Schematics for Water/Waste systems in 3650RL

Received these in email this morning from Heartland. Very nice people to deal with; Jeff Marner assisted me.
View attachment 3650RL BC waste plumb prints (1).pdf
View attachment 3650RL BC fresh plumb prints.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Have you taken down the basement wall to see behind it? I can see our shower drain pipe come down from the shower and go into the grey tank. Maybe you can too?

Yes, I removed the wall previously, but at that point I was still looking for a fresh water leak. I will be removing it again (HOW can I possibly have this much stuff in the basement already?) and looking at the shower drain while water is running. Good to know I can see it, thanks!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm impressed you got a response. I may try to call back and get him!

I think Heartland connects you with someone that handles your particular region of the country. I am sure you can ask for him, but he may try to move you to your regional customer service reps.

D_BTravelers

Jeff was the person that answered the phone in the Customer Service department. Had to wait a little to get through, but he was very nice and said he would check with engineering to insure the drawings sent were correct. Good experience all around as they were in my email Inbox this morning.