Harbor Freight & Predator Generator

Aandaar

So I saw at HF the other day these generators.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Cannot find the specifications on the quality of the AC output on the Predator Generator. I would assume that at the price it is a good contractors power tool generator. Without knowing the quality of the AC output, such as the Champions at 5%THD, I would urge caution using it on your fifth wheel. Perhaps you could get the information by calling the Predator Generator technical question line at 1-800-444-3353. If they cannot answer how much is the THD in the AC waveform output, then opt for a different brand. THD is the harmonic distortion in both the AC voltage and current waveform.

LBR

I wouldn't​ use any generator aside from a quality, low Db, clean wavelength set...too many electronics to be powering with a dirty sinewave contractor's unit IMO...good luck with whatever you choose.

New to the group here, and new to forums so in general. I can't tell from your post which predator you're looking at. If it's the 2000w inverter Honda clone (it's really a Yamaha clone), it's a very, very nice generator. I had 2 Hondas in the past, I now have the predator and I'm amazed at how nice this generator is. Is it better than the Honda? I doubt it, probably as good, but at 40% the price of a Honda a MUCH better value. I paid $426 for mine.

I wouldn't buy a contractor open frame generator, they are WAY to noisy if you're around other people.

RoadJunkie

Don't confuse price with cost or, if you prefer, buy cheap, buy twice. Why are framed generators called contractors generators? Many non-contractors buy these things.

wdk450

Don't confuse price with cost or, if you prefer, buy cheap, buy twice. Why are framed generators called contractors generators? Many non-contractors buy these things.

My dad used to say "everything you own you rent". Cost per unit of time owned is the true financial comparison.

At the other extreme, I was looking around E-Bay for the lowest price on a 5 oz. can of Cramolin DeOxIt contact cleaner today. Lowest price: $13.49. Highest price: $300.00. Really!!!, for the same item, same quantity. I think I will buy cheap on this one.

Aandaar

New to the group here, and new to forums so in general. I can't tell from your post which predator you're looking at. If it's the 2000w inverter Honda clone (it's really a Yamaha clone), it's a very, very nice generator. I had 2 Hondas in the past, I now have the predator and I'm amazed at how nice this generator is. Is it better than the Honda? I doubt it, probably as good, but at 40% the price of a Honda a MUCH better value. I paid $426 for mine.

I wouldn't buy a contractor open frame generator, they are WAY to noisy if you're around other people.

Thank you for the opinion. This the unit I was looking at. Not an open frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

My son just bought one today. He bought the 1 year warranty. Take it back and get a new one. No questions asked. Seems like a deal to me.

mlpeloquin

My dad used to say "everything you own you rent". Cost per unit of time owned is the true financial comparison.

At the other extreme, I was looking around E-Bay for the lowest price on a 5 oz. can of Cramolin DeOxIt contact cleaner today. Lowest price: $13.49. Highest price: $300.00. Really!!!, for the same item, same quantity. I think I will buy cheap on this one.

Bill, DeOxIt is amazing. First time I used it on my fifth wheel connector, I watched the well oxidized copper contacts brighten up before my eyes. Could not thank you enough for the recommendation.

As far as the generator is concerned, it maybe just fine. Before I would use it though, I would what the know the technical specifications of the signwave output. You could be stressing your equipment just enough to cause premature failure without knowing. So signwave specs are important. Retired engineer and I am a bugger for this stuff. If it is a good generator, they should be proud to publish the specification.

wdk450

Bill, DeOxIt is amazing. First time I used it on my fifth wheel connector, I watched the well oxidized copper contacts brighten up before my eyes. Could not thank you enough for the recommendation.

As far as the generator is concerned, it maybe just fine. Before I would use it though, I would what the know the technical specifications of the signwave output. You could be stressing your equipment just enough to cause premature failure without knowing. So signwave specs are important. Retired engineer and I am a bugger for this stuff. If it is a good generator, they should be proud to publish the specification.

Marc:
You and I agree completely.
If it was me spending my own money, and not sitting on the couch reading posts, I would pay a LOT of attention to the THD spec. When I put in a 1100 watt emergency inverter, I wouldn't consider anything but a true sine wave model. I guess I assumed that all inverter generators are pretty much equal in THD.

I just can't get over someone trying to sell an item listed on E-Bay for around $15 for $300. I guess capitalism is still alive.

Years ago I read some technical papers on Cramolyn DeOxIt that revealed how it works at the metal molecular level to remove non-conducting oxides AND set up a protective layer to reduce further oxide actions. I have used DeOxIt successfully on truck steering wheel radio controls, truck climate controls, trailer 12 volt lighting switches, clearance lamp bases, etc. It has worked for me on an AC power switch where filing the contact surfaces did not work.