Have some pinbox frame movement. Normal?

taken

So, recently I decided to try to get my trailer the last little bit level. My 5th hitch was already as low as it could go and I thought that my pinbox was on the top holes in the frame. After removing the trim ring around the frame where the pinbox mounts, I discovered that there were indeed one more set of holes. So, I raised my pinbox up the last two inches into the last holes and my trailer was finally level. I wish I had known that the holes were there as I could have mounted my Trail Air Tri-Glide up that high to begin with instead of having to take it apart twice, but oh well. Anyways, now that the pinbox is up as high as it can go, the top of it is only a touch over 1" from the fiberglass nose cap. However, the next time I hooked up and put the weight on the hitch I noticed something strange in my rear view. When I got out and checked I noticed that now there was only about 1/2" or so of clearance. My question is, is this amount of flex normal under load or do I have a problem brewing? Towed 750 miles that way and no issue. Just don't want to ignore if it's not normal. Thoughts?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you have concerns, call Heartland, and they will probably ask for pictures, hitched and unhitched.

Check where the side walls meet the curve of the bulkhead, specifically the line of caulk -- does the caulk bead break when hitched?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If the frame did not flex some....it would break. Mine has been flexing like yours almost 6 years and it "ain't fell off yet".

Last edited:

taken

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured but was curious if I was thinking straight. I bet I just never noticed it before when the pinbox was in the lower position as it was two inches further from the cap. It's a lot easier to see a 1/2" change when it's 1" away than 3" away.