HL being overcharged for warranty work?

TxCowboy

Not going to name names but this happened to me recently.

HL sent me a repair item for installation by a mobile tech service, a small company that I have dealt with before for non-warranty work on my previous RV.

The removal of the old item and installation of the new item took less than 20 minutes. The service tech charged me $100 for their fee. I then signed a form that, it appears, is being sent to Heartland as part of their warranty claim. That bill was for $225!

So, I paid $100 for the mobile tech's time and I get that -- I think.

But why is HL being billed $225 when HL provided the part for installation. I can't imagine there is a mandatory "labor" charge for installation that would equate to even $225 per hour. Remember, HL sent me the part and I provided that part to the mobile tech. (I didn't receive a copy of the $225 receipt since I wasn't paying for it.)

So is HL getting ripped off here or is this yet another "RV industry standard"?

Oh, ye wise folks, what am I not understanding here because something doesn't seem right.

T

TomMontague

Please forward to Jim Fenner at Heartland Service and let him do some investigating. Thanks for looking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
So I assume the $100 was the mobile service call charge? Yes, there is probably a hour minimum labor charge and more like $125 seems about right. Following with interest. Trace

pegmikef

The last time I had warranty work done where they sent the parts to my local dealer HL had also specified the amount of time allocated for the job and the max allowable rate. The guy may charge more, but it is not likely he will be paid that amount because he defacto agreed to the HL rate by taking the job . . . or maybe he was just faster than the time allocated.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
HL has a warranty flat rate per-item like auto dealers have to follow doing their warranty work. Now maybe the part replacement was...lets say paid 1 hr. and diagnoses was 1 hr. That's 2 hours labor. But I don't think that HL pays $125 an hour for warranty work.