How thick is wall in bedroom for tv mount

rick_debbie_gallant

Anyone know how thick the wall is where the bedroom t.v. can be mounted on the wall? I dont want to put to big a screw in nor to small. Meant to check it out on my last factory visit but alas, I forgot to check it out!!

jbeletti

Rick,

If your bedroom TV area is a shelf between 2 sets of upper cabinets and by wall, you mean the interior of that outside wall behind the shelf, then you are talking about 1/8" - 1/4" of luan, then block foam, then the exterior wall. I'd say use nothing greater than 1.75" to be safe.

That said, the block foam will not likely bear much weight with conventional screws. Better to use those drywall type anchors with the 1/2" coarse threads and a hole in the center of them for a screw.

When the factory mounts a TV there, they screw a vertical cleat onto the ends of those two cabinets. Those cleats are angled slightly inward at the top to give the TV some downward pitch. Then a carpeted board is screwed to the cleats. The TV we supply is mounted to that board.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

Thanks Jim. I would have thought that heartland would have built all with a chunk of 2xsomething behing the wall. But what you said will be just as easy. Going to check to see if the door opens right now.

grizzlygiant

The Luan wall board will not support a wall-mounted TV. Best to follow Jim's advise and put a solid 1" thick cleat across the back of the cabinet.

azbound

RICK, I recently did what you are looking to do. At the suggestion of another member I went to Best Buy and purchased the TV mount with the articulating arm and mounted it on the side wall of the adjacent cabinet. Worked great, and you can pull the TV out for access to the back of the TV. Rather than using wood screws I used bolts with nylon locking nuts.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Road