How to repair the Venture electric landing gear.

traveler44

Venture has 2 drawings in owners manuals that show the breakdown of parts for the electric landing gear. One shows the complete landing gear and has components numbered from 1-11 and the other shows the internal parts inside the landing leg numbered from 819-04 to 1020-03.

I will detail how to remove and fix the landing leg.

1. Remove the wire nuts from the motor wires and tape the ends of the wires to prevent shorting. Remove the allen screw and nut from the cross drive square tube.

2. Remove the Phillips head screw from the collar that holds the 3-1 reduction gear box onto the lead drive shaft-913-00. slide the reduction gear box and motor off the shaft.

3. Remove the snap pin assembly from the lower leg and let the drop leg fall to the ground.

4. Remove the nuts and bolts in the straps holding the landing leg to the wall. Then lift the leg up and out of the compartment.

5. Lay the leg on it's side and remove the clip #919-00 and the split pin #1020-08 that holds the 12 Tooth bevel gear in place.

6. Slide the lead drive shaft out of the leg and the larger bevel gear just sits on the center drive shaft over the drive pin #920-00. If everything you have removed looks operable place the leg in a vise or clamp it down solid.

7. I used the hand crank and it fit over the center shaft and the drive pin inside the top of the leg. Figure the screw drive is right hand thread so you turn the center drive in the direction needed to free it up. -- mine was over traveled-UP- so I had to hand crank it all the way-OUT- to reset the-thrust channel back into place-and bend the tabs in that hold it in place in the leg. I greased mine and reassembled it and installed it back in the front compartment and then lifted the Bighorn off the hitch.

Hope this helps somebody if they have doubts about how to fix theirs. The reduction gear box on mine was on the shaft so tight that it had to be pried off of the shaft.

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Tom for the update and info on your landing gear repair.
It's sure to help someone in the future.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

Venture has 2 drawings in owners manuals that show the breakdown of parts for the electric landing gear. One shows the complete landing gear and has components numbered from 1-11 and the other shows the internal parts inside the landing leg numbered from 819-04 to 1020-03.

I will detail how to remove and fix the landing leg.

1. Remove the wire nuts from the motor wires and tape the ends of the wires to prevent shorting. Remove the allen screw and nut from the cross drive square tube.

2. Remove the Phillips head screw from the collar that holds the 3-1 reduction gear box onto the lead drive shaft-913-00. slide the reduction gear box and motor off the shaft.

3. Remove the snap pin assembly from the lower leg and let the drop leg fall to the ground.

4. Remove the nuts and bolts in the straps holding the landing leg to the wall. Then lift the leg up and out of the compartment.

5. Lay the leg on it's side and remove the clip #919-00 and the split pin #1020-08 that holds the 12 Tooth bevel gear in place.

6. Slide the lead drive shaft out of the leg and the larger bevel gear just sits on the center drive shaft over the drive pin #920-00. If everything you have removed looks operable place the leg in a vise or clamp it down solid.

7. I used the hand crank and it fit over the center shaft and the drive pin inside the top of the leg. Figure the screw drive is right hand thread so you turn the center drive in the direction needed to free it up. -- mine was over traveled-UP- so I had to hand crank it all the way-OUT- to reset the-thrust channel back into place-and bend the tabs in that hold it in place in the leg. I greased mine and reassembled it and installed it back in the front compartment and then lifted the Bighorn off the hitch.

Hope this helps somebody if they have doubts about how to fix theirs. The reduction gear box on mine was on the shaft so tight that it had to be pried off of the shaft.

Traveller:
You didn't state the obvious, but maybe you should edit your post and do this just for the safety's sake and knowing that any foolproof proceedure will find a bigger fool. I am speaking of the preliminary steps of blocking the wheels and jacking up the trailer frame on each side and supporting it on jackstands. I found that jacking it up fairly high made removal of the legs from the bottom much easier.

traveler44

Thanks for the safety lesson Bill. I worked on mine while it was still attached to the hitch on the truck. I had enough clearance to lift the leg- UP and OUT- without doing any extra jacking. I lifted the leg assembly and leaned it towards the center of the compartment to get enough clearance for the drop leg to fall out. I had to do the same thing when I tried to get the drop leg back in. This is the part of it that takes the most muscle to accomplish and it was nearing my limit. I am sure somebody could get hurt if they are not working slowly and carefully enough.