How to Watch Two TVs on Tailgater 211z or 211k

rxbristol

Even though you may only have one receiver for your Tailgater dish, you can watch your bedroom TV from what's being received on the 211. I've attached two diagrams, one for the 211k and one for the 211z. I know on some models of the Tailgater dish you can use two receivers and watch two different channels as long as it's being received from the same satellite. Right click on the image and "Save image as..." function to see a larger view. Just make sure you pick up diplexers and not coax splitters. The diplexer allows the satellite signal to go back to the bedroom TV on a different bandwidth.

211k.jpg 211z_2.jpg

Attachments

• 211z.jpg
    211z.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 214
  • 211z_2.jpg
    211z_2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 190

Lynn1130

Why do you need a diplexer to the living room TV? What is the Sat controller prior to that diplexer and why the second diplexer? Thanks

rxbristol

The satellite controller is if you have one of the older King/Tailgater dishes that require power and settings control. The new King domes don't need a controller. The second diplexer is necessary to route the satellite receiver output back through the coax to the bedroom TV. The first diplexer does the same thing--it allows two frequencies to be passed at the same time--a simple routing device.

pegmikef

How do I know if I need a satellite controller? I am not using one now and my tailgater gets its power via the coax, but mine is pretty old (4 years).

avvidclif

A diplexer is used to split an input into a low freq output and a high frequency output. Reversed it combines a high and a low into one output while isolating the individual inputs. If the Sat receiver is outputting a signal the TV can use, IE: CH3 or CH4. Picture 2 may work if the second diplexer were reversed. The 2 connections on the same side cannot pass to each other.

In other words the inputs (single side) of the diplexer need to face each other and the high input (sat) and low input (CH3-4) need to be connected correctly. That make sense?

Also the Sat box needs the capability to output on both HDMI and Ch3-4 at the same time. That I don't know about

rxbristol

A diplexer is used to split an input into a low freq output and a high frequency output. Reversed it combines a high and a low into one output while isolating the individual inputs. If the Sat receiver is outputting a signal the TV can use, IE: CH3 or CH4. Picture 2 may work if the second diplexer were reversed. The 2 connections on the same side cannot pass to each other.

In other words the inputs (single side) of the diplexer need to face each other and the high input (sat) and low input (CH3-4) need to be connected correctly. That make sense?

Also the Sat box needs the capability to output on both HDMI and Ch3-4 at the same time. That I don't know about

Thank you SO much, I have the second diplexer backwards. I will re-do the attachments.

rxbristol

How do I know if I need a satellite controller? I am not using one now and my tailgater gets its power via the coax, but mine is pretty old (4 years).

I'm not up on all the different types of dishes. If yours is working I wouldn't be concerned. My King Flex needs one, it came with it--I bought it in 2014.

pegmikef

Thanks Rex. It is one of the very early Dish Tailgaters and has worked great for 40K plus miles. My original VIP receiver had a built in sim card that went bad so I had to buy a new one. Right now I am looking for the diplexers. My dependable Walmart had none and Best Buy is always too pricey for stuff like that so I am going to look on line.

On edit. Just looked and amazon.com has a pair of Dish compatible diplexers for about seven bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Holland-...6348088&sr=8-1&keywords=diplexer+dish+network

rxbristol

Thanks Rex. It is one of the very early Dish Tailgaters and has worked great for 40K plus miles. My original VIP receiver had a built in sim card that went bad so I had to buy a new one. Right now I am looking for the diplexers. My dependable Walmart had none and Best Buy is always too pricey for stuff like that so I am going to look on line.

On edit. Just looked and amazon.com has a pair of Dish compatible diplexers for about seven bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Holland-...6348088&sr=8-1&keywords=diplexer+dish+network

That's funny...those diplexers are the same as my favorite Dish gave me. We have a Dish guy in Wichita Falls that really understands RVs. He has helped me more than once on different RVs we've owned. I've going to attach the corrected diagrams. The second diplexer was drawn backwards.

Sat Setup 211K Re.jpg

Attachments

• Sat Setup 211Z Re.jpg
    Sat Setup 211Z Re.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 77

Lynn1130

One additional question. Why two connections going to the 211k? There is only one Sat in connection where does the other connect? and why?

rxbristol

One coax goes from the diplexer "Sat" connection to the input of the 211k satellite receiver. On the 211k there is a coax output, that coax output connects to the "UHF" side of the diplexer. The 211z does not have a coax output, that's why the need for the RCA modulator to take the three connections and turn it into a coax feed back to the diplexer.

pegmikef

Rex, Let's see if I understand this correctly please before I wire it tomorrow. This is what your original 211k diagram looked like to me, but was that wrong?

1. Coax from Tailgater goes to Sat side of diplexer in UDC.
2. Diplexer in/out goes to LR Sat Connector in UDC.
3. LR Sat output coax goes to in/out side of LR Diplexer.
4. LR Diplexer Sat coax goes to receiver Sat input
5. Receiver output coax goes to UHF side of LR Diplexer
6. UHF side of the UDC Diplexer coax goes to the BR Sat connector in UDC.
7. BR Sat output coax goes to TV input connector.

Thanks.

Last edited:

rxbristol

Rex, Let's see if I understand this correctly please before I wire it tomorrow. This is what your original 211k diagram looked like to me, but was that wrong?

1. Coax from Tailgater goes to Sat side of diplexer in UDC.
2. Diplexer in/out goes to LR Sat Connector in UDC.
3. LR Sat output coax goes to Sat side of LR Diplexer.
4. LR Diplexer in/out coax goes to receiver Sat input
5. Receiver output coax goes to UHF side of LR Diplexer
6. UHF side of the UDC Diplexer coax goes to the BR Sat connector in UDC.
7. BR Sat output coax goes to TV input connector.

Thanks.

Mike,

Take a look at the second diagram I uploaded. The LR Sat output goes to the I/O side of the diplexer, the Sat side of the diplexer goes to the input of the receiver and the output of the receiver goes to the UHF side of the LR diplexer. As I was corrected, the I/Os of each diplexer have to face each other. Also, don't forget to tune the bedroom TV to channel 3 or 4.

Sat Setup 211K Re.jpg

Ks.Kev

Good!!!!
Now, This is flying a tad over the head here....sorry, I get some of it but got a couple of questions....

1) what is the Sat Controller shown in the pic? and where do you get it?

2) UDC - is that what's behind my stereo (inside a dead space) where the cables for the bedroom, kitchen, from outside cable hook up and
the TV antenna come together on what looks like a block hook up if you will, where there is power going to it (12V) for the antenna amplifier?

That's it.
I see that I can get the Diplexer and the RCA Modulator from Amazon, I think this something that I can do!!!!
Thanks all!