How to Watch Two TVs on Tailgater 211z or 211k

rxbristol

Good!!!!
Now, This is flying a tad over the head here....sorry, I get some of it but got a couple of questions....

1) what is the Sat Controller shown in the pic? and where do you get it?

2) UDC - is that what's behind my stereo (inside a dead space) where the cables for the bedroom, kitchen, from outside cable hook up and
the TV antenna come together on what looks like a block hook up if you will, where there is power going to it (12V) for the antenna amplifier?

That's it.
I see that I can get the Diplexer and the RCA Modulator from Amazon, I think this something that I can do!!!!
Thanks all!

The satellite controller is only needed IF your satellite dish requires it. My King Flex requires it because it can receive from different services (Dish, Bell, DirectTV).

I'm not sure if your RV has a UDC, but otherwise, it's were the cables hook up from outside. I could help more if I knew more about your RV. The UDC (Universal Docking Station) is where cable, water, black tank flush, and the Anderson valve are located.

pegmikef

Good!!!!
Now, This is flying a tad over the head here....sorry, I get some of it but got a couple of questions....

1) what is the Sat Controller shown in the pic? and where do you get it?

2) UDC - is that what's behind my stereo (inside a dead space) where the cables for the bedroom, kitchen, from outside cable hook up and
the TV antenna come together on what looks like a block hook up if you will, where there is power going to it (12V) for the antenna amplifier?

That's it.
I see that I can get the Diplexer and the RCA Modulator from Amazon, I think this something that I can do!!!!
Thanks all!

Kevin. My North Trail didn't have an UDC (this is a compartment where all the cables and hoses connect on most HL fivers). I'm not sure that TT's even have them now. My cable input was on the driver side exterior wall. I did not have a satellite input so I ran a new cable. If you have a satellite connector on yours, it will probably located near the cable input. Another option is to use the cable input as a satellite input. I didn't do that because my cable output on the inside shared a splitter with the OTA antenna. I think the acronym UDC means something like Universal Docking Center or maybe Universal Distribution Center. I have seen it, but never paid attention to the expansion because I knew what it was.

Ks.Kev

Alright, so basically the the UDC on mine is where all the cables come together and then distribute through out the RV.
I'm guessing.....No problem there.
Now, my tailgater system service is thru Dish, so no, I don't have that satellite controller. No problem there either!
So if I take those two things out of the picture, and hook up the two Diplexers and the RCA modulator like the picture it should work!
The only thing I don't understand is in the picture, how does the bedroom gets it channels without the box like whats in the living room?
Is it because I reverse the diplexer to the bedroom?
Thanks for any info on this!

rxbristol

Alright, so basically the the UDC on mine is where all the cables come together and then distribute through out the RV.
I'm guessing.....No problem there.
Now, my tailgater system service is thru Dish, so no, I don't have that satellite controller. No problem there either!
So if I take those two things out of the picture, and hook up the two Diplexers and the RCA modulator like the picture it should work!
The only thing I don't understand is in the picture, how does the bedroom gets it channels without the box like whats in the living room?
Is it because I reverse the diplexer to the bedroom?
Thanks for any info on this!

The signal is coming out of the RCA jacks into the cable and feeding back through the coax on the low UHF band, thanks to the diplexers. The coax is carrying the same signal twice, one on a high band and one on a low band. The diplexers are what makes this work.

Ks.Kev

OK, then I'm good to go..... just ordered the diplexers (2) and the RCA Modulator (1) from the web!
Thanks rxbristol & pegmikef, soon as the parts get here... will hook up!!!!:p

Ks.Kev

Opps, thought I was done...... last question, promise!
on the RCA Modulator, shows 2 different ones.
The part #'s are the same except 1 has a "R" after it!
Does this matter? here is what I found.....

[h=1]RCA Compact RF Modulator (CRF907R)[/h]AND
[h=1]RCACRF907 - RCA CRF907 Compact RF Modulator[/h]
Thanks!

rxbristol

Opps, thought I was done...... last question, promise!
on the RCA Modulator, shows 2 different ones.
The part #'s are the same except 1 has a "R" after it!
Does this matter? here is what I found.....

RCA Compact RF Modulator (CRF907R)

AND
RCACRF907 - RCA CRF907 Compact RF Modulator

Thanks!

Don't know the difference, but it should not matter for what you want it for--there are several different types/makers of RCA modulators that do the same job.

pegmikef

Did it work?

Yes.

Thanks much Rex. I finally got it working this morning after a couple of false starts. I did learn that if you have a Tailgater that has voltage on the line to the antenna from the receiver, you have to use RG60 for your connections. In my first attempts I used short quick connect cables and it took me a while to figure out that the quick connect cables simply weren't stout enough for the voltage plus the two way data.

I am changing your configuration a little and adding an a/b switch in the bedroom so I can easily switch between Dish and OTA/CATV without having to change the patch wire.

Thanks again. Big improvement.

Last edited:

rxbristol

I am changing your configuration a little and adding an a/b switch in the bedroom so I can easily switch between Dish and OTA/CATV without having to change the patch wire.

Thanks again. Big improvement.

You may not have to do that. Most OTA signals are digital. If the TV is tuned to channel 3 for the SAT and then I change the channel to 3.1 for the local channel I will get the local digital OTA signal and not the satellite.

Good point about using RG6 cable...never thought about it before.

pegmikef

You may not have to do that. Most OTA signals are digital. If the TV is tuned to channel 3 for the SAT and then I change the channel to 3.1 for the local channel I will get the local digital OTA signal and not the satellite.

Good point about using RG6 cable...never thought about it before.

On mine to switch to the OTA/CATV input connector from the satellite connector I have to use a jumper to the connector in the closet for the output connector next to the BR TV if I want to be able to use the remote in the bedroom to change the channels. I don't have the OTA/CATV hooked up to the receiver in the LR. It goes directly to the TV. This new set up will give my wife the option of escaping to the bedroom and continue to watch what is playing in the living room or to switch and find something she might like better. Thanks for the tip though.

The only critical ones for the heavier cable art the cables connected to the I/O connectors (at least in my setup).

pegmikef

Thanks Rex. I put it on my shopping list, but I want to read more about it first. It occurs to me with that and a separate Dish remote (from Walmart) one could have funtional remotes in both the LR and BR. Anyway it is a thought. Today I am cleaning up my install, mounting the diplexer and making custom cables.

On edit. Rex, this is how I set it up in the UDC. In the living room I just put all the cables and diplexer behind the receiver (it sits on top of the dvd player so they are out of sight).

Attachments

• diplexer.jpg
    diplexer.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Ks.Kev

So with this set up, all we are doing is having the same channel (show) playing on 2 TV's at the same time.... correct?

rxbristol

Kevin, correct--only one channel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Rex. I put it on my shopping list, but I want to read more about it first. It occurs to me with that and a separate Dish remote (from Walmart) one could have funtional remotes in both the LR and BR. Anyway it is a thought. Today I am cleaning up my install, mounting the diplexer and making custom cables.

On edit. Rex, this is how I set it up in the UDC. In the living room I just put all the cables and diplexer behind the receiver (it sits on top of the dvd player so they are out of sight).

Nice and neat...mine is just free hanging.

Lynn1130

I am still trying to get this to work. My UDC is not like the one shown in the Tools section. I have a phone connection (how outdated) then a cable, then the Sat, then another cable. As I recall the first cable after the phone is the input to both the living room and bedroom TVs. The Sat is to the living room and I use that for DISH. The last one is to the garage TV, I think, but I do not have a TV there. I hooked up using the first cable as the back feed and had Sat to the living room and zilch to the bedroom. I am still fiddling with it but something is not right.

rxbristol

I am still trying to get this to work. My UDC is not like the one shown in the Tools section. I have a phone connection (how outdated) then a cable, then the Sat, then another cable. As I recall the first cable after the phone is the input to both the living room and bedroom TVs. The Sat is to the living room and I use that for DISH. The last one is to the garage TV, I think, but I do not have a TV there. I hooked up using the first cable as the back feed and had Sat to the living room and zilch to the bedroom. I am still fiddling with it but something is not right.

The TV cable system can be quite a web. Jim Beletti drew a picture of my rig's RF cable layout that helped solve a mystery for what cable feed what TV. You may have to shoot continuity to find what cable feeds what TV.

busted2341

Read my post on how I was able to have all 3 TVs workoff my 1 receiver and Ant. I was surprised I figured it out but it was pretty easy once I did.....

busted2341

20160313_233200.jpgYa.....I couldn't figure out how to do it but let me try....for me it was pretty simple. The two coming in from the center cabnet are the Sat in to the back of the receiver and the other in from the splitter to the Modulator. Then its just following the wire....The only frawback is all TV must watch whatever the receiver is watching. However cable still works and so does OTA TV, so its no problem you lose nothing. By the way to watch Sat in the bedroo or outside the Anttenna booster needs to be off...Hope it helps...

https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/58617-Splitting-FM-Modulater-signal?highlight=busted2341

- - - Updated - - -

As a matter of fact I will tak a pic and post....