Hwy 24 from Manitou Springs, CO to Glenwood

teasac69

Has anyone pulled a larger coach on Hwy 24 from Manitou Springs, CO to Glenwood Springs, CO?? Do you have any suggestions to get from Colorado Springs area to the Glenwood springs area and avoiding Denver??

Is there a Highway Patrol service for asking such questions? I can't seem to find any such animal.

thanks
Tim

danemayer

Tim,

I think I've gone from Breckenridge down 9 to 24 and out to Colorado Springs. Close to Breck, you've got Hoosier Pass, but that's pretty easy heading toward Breck. 9 continues thru Breckenridge and meets I-70. I think I recall 24 thru Woodland Park to Colorado Springs is a pretty easy drive. You may cross the continental divide somewhere along the way, but I don't recall it being very challenging.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We drive Co Springs to Buena Vista and Leadville. Then from there to I 70 at Copper Mt Ski Resort on CO 91. There is only one long pull that way as compared to 2 from Denver. Highway 24 from COS to Divide is all 4 lane divided highway. We live in COS and this is our preferred route to Breck and Vail Pass.

Last edited:

brianlajoie

On SH 91, you have Fremont Pass. Pretty easy like Greg says. Drops you into Copper Mountain then over Vail Pass you go. On SH 9, Like Dan says, pretty easy going over Hoosier Pass, then Breckenridge and over Vail Pass too. In my opinion, SH91 is a little straighter. Came up I70 couple of weeks ago and Vail Pass road has lots of bumps - needs repaving.