Installed New Dual Motor Landing Gear From Ultra Fab 12000K

I have Everything installed and wired the 2 new switches in the propane compartment so i could run individual jacks at a time, and i also left the original rocker switch on the front of the trailer to run both jacks at the same time but heres where I've hit the wall all three switches are running both jacks i cannot run the right or left jack alone on there own switch Im usually pretty good with stuff like this but I'm baffled on how to break the current between the two motors but keep the original rocker switch running the pair so I'm asking for your help, I've heard i need diodes, or relays, or more toggles i just want someone or everyone on here to explain where i have went wrong and help me get this system to work the way i know it can!

anyways Ultra Fab dual motor landing gear system 17-943010 6000K per leg has impressed me so far,

ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!!!

danemayer

Hi DA_bills_1979,

If you could draw a picture to show us how you wired everything together, maybe someone could give you specific advice.

If you don't have a scanner, draw a picture and use your smart phone to take a photo and upload that.

i wired two single switches off battery #1 and wired inline 30amp fuse directly to left jack with left switch and wired inline 30amp fuse directly to right jack from right switch,

the switch up front of the trailer already had pow from gold Power strip and 50 amp in line fuse the rocker switch already ran to door side jack from previous motor so i jumped it back to driver side jack

i hope this helps till i can figure this site out!!!

Bones

I think you will need to run diods to keep current going in only one direction. You may need a coupe of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you will just have to run your wires in a certain manner such as not to feed one another by a system of relays maybe. Some one else may chime in on this who has done this already

i wired right leg off battery #1 with inline fuse 30amp to switch directly to right leg motor,
left leg comes off battery #1 also with another inline 30amp fuse to switch and directly to left leg motor

the center combo switch is coming of gold power strip with inline 50amp fuse to switch and then uses same wire that used to run the old single motor system but i also tied it into the right leg motor before it ran across to the left leg.

Bones where exactly would i put diodes?

Bones

i wired right leg off battery #1 with inline fuse 30amp to switch directly to right leg motor,
left leg comes off battery #1 also with another inline 30amp fuse to switch and directly to left leg motor

the center combo switch is coming of gold power strip with inline 50amp fuse to switch and then uses same wire that used to run the old single motor system but i also tied it into the right leg motor before it ran across to the left leg.

Bones where exactly would i put diodes?
There are a couple of ways to do it. One with diods, one with a relay and one with shut off switches. I did a rough routing and I think I can see where you will accidentally back feed the switch to operate both gears. You would need to break the lines coming from the switch that feeds both landing gear and put the diods in those lines. I'll make a quick drawing.

Bones

You can also break the connection by using a double pole switch which will separate both landing gears. You would just have to jumper the input side. That would probably be the easiest thing to do and might be more reliable.

View attachment Scan0001.pdf

danemayer

You can also break the connection by using a double pole switch which will separate both landing gears. You would just have to jumper the input side. That would probably be the easiest thing to do and might be more reliable.

View attachment 40335

Don't the landing gear switches rock, changing polarity to reverse the motor direction?

Bones

Don't the landing gear switches rock, changing polarity to reverse the motor direction?
Oh yeah I forgot when I was drawing. Good catch but the concept should stay the same because one wire will be up and one wire will be down and supply should be in the center of the switch so clone the top of the drawing to the bottom. Will that work?

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say Duhhh to myself there

Bones

at this point I think you will be in a somewhat complicated circuit to have separation between the sides. The switch's you have, were they provided from the factory? If so it could be as simple as a wire crossed, did they come with an instruction manual? Possibly some pictures of the circuit would help too. Maybe some one who has already done this will chime in as well. At some point I want to add separate legs as well so I want to see how this works out.

It's going to work with the diodes I bought at RadioShack well under rated for these legs and it did work for a minute before the diode quit allowing current so I'll go to an electrical house and get the right ones for the application. Yes the switch I'm using to run both legs at one time is the original heartland switch but the seperate switches are from the jack manufacturers (ultra fab)

AAdams

You can try this with the diodes from RS. Where they are will be low amp draw. The relays will have to be large enough to handle the amps. Be sure to add proper fuses on the supply line. I am not an electrician, so if this is incorrect someone please correct me.
View attachment schemeit-project.pdf

Where RY1 and RY2 connect and where RY3 and RY4 connect on the switching side of the relay ( NOT on the coil side ), they go to ground That is not going to the + of the battery. ( Just trying to clarify )

Also the + and - on the motor are the forward and reverse side of the motor.

Last edited:

Lance & Jo

I think you may be spending time overthinking this. I installed the second motor 4 years ago and have never felt the need for the "both" switch you left in the circuit. I use the individual switches to get both jacks set and then just hold both rocker switches depending on which direction, up or down, I want to go. I'm not the first to do it this way and actually got the idea from a previous post.
.3. New Landing Gear Switch.JPG

Bones

I think you may be spending time overthinking this. I installed the second motor 4 years ago and have never felt the need for the "both" switch you left in the circuit. I use the individual switches to get both jacks set and then just hold both rocker switches depending on which direction, up or down, I want to go. I'm not the first to do it this way and actually got the idea from a previous post.
.View attachment 40428
By far this is the simplest way and least complicated method. That said who said we wanted to do things the easy way. :)

yea after fighting through all these stupid issues i know that a quick 50 bucks and i could purchase this other switch, I've just hacked everything so bad and i would have just went to the two new switches but they are hideous looking and very bulky I'm trying to find the atwood triple switch panel or if i can't find it for a reasonable price and or figure out the final process to keep the setup I've got going on now then i will just buy a twin switch and finish it the same way LANCE AND JO did

- - - Updated - - -

.View attachment 40428

is this the same little box/cover that the old single switch fit in?