Is it worth it? Dealer add ons

MICKEY

Past Florida Chapter Leader
GUYS AND GALS;

I just got back from first look at my new Heartland 3585. Dealer suggest this exterior and interior treatment called "Resistall". Pretty pricy at $1200. Claims will not have to wax for 5 years(exterior) and treats fabric and leather interior. Need to let them know tomorrow so they will have it ready Thursday. Any one with experience. Comments Please

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
For $1200 I can buy alot of Scotchgard and Turtle Wax Ice. Some even use the spray wax or 303 Protectant which is even easier than waxing.
The dealer tried to sell me the same package but I think it was for $1400.
I guess you cant blame them for dangling the hook but nothing says you have to bite!!

Good luck with your new rig.

ChopperBill

Snake oil! I aint seen nothing yet that wont wash off with soap and water after a few washes. Scotchguard is cheap in the spray cans.

RollingHome

Mickey, I'm not sure what the dealer is offering, but I have to agree with the other posters it sounds too good to be true, trust your gut ! However, I did order from HL a option which I can't recall. I think it was Gloss Finish or something, can you get this ? I also was in for service this week. I saw a unit that was about 6 months older then mine. The finish was oxidized and the decals were faded... OK, so I keep mine inside, still the difference was definite. I'm not a supporter of blind faith but I personally think the HL option was worth the money JMO. If you still can get it from HL do it, in my opinion, it's money well spent. Tom

MICKEY

Tom;

I got the high gloss finish as option, can't really say it looks much different than any others on lot. I saw the unit just after delivery and maybe it'll clean up a bit. I did see one they had just done with "Resistall" and it did look good on exterior, but I'm sure it was something they spray on and wipe off, cause tehy can have it done pretty quickly. I know its a big money maker for dealer.
Mickey

bobw103

We did have resistall put inside and out of our previous unit (non Heartland). In regards to the exterior we saw no difference. Black streaks needed to be scrubbed (although not with lots of elbow grease) but the unit did look dull after a year. We would not do it again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mickey, the high gloss gelcoat is the same as fiberglass boat. You maintain it the same way. As to the interior, go buy some rattle cans of the 3M scotchguard and do it yourself.

MICKEY

Thanks to everyone for your input. One last question before the big day(tomorrow). Extended warrantty. I hate them on most things. Big money grab for dealer. However most of you have more experience with Heartland than I and this is our 2nd biggest investment. 5 year warranty for $1400. Coach has 1 year, not sure about other things; appliances, water systems, electrical, frame, suspension, hvac, slides, ect. Now I am very handy with mechanical things and don't mind tackling projects, but also hate giving money away. Thoughts?
Mickey

RollingHome

Mikey, U sound like me... MR DYI... it's a gamble dude and u already know that :) If I had to make the call I would not buy an extended warrenty... then guess what... on the 366 day Something messes the bed, oh well.. ya should of, ya could hav, but ya didn't :) life's a gamble, they think ya won't - you think ya might... Flip a coin it's the same as my words of wisdom. One final thought, have you ever won at the game of chance... didn't think so, think you will this time ? I would take the $ 1,400 smackers and do what someone else suggested, buy a better set of tires. JMO Tom

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
extended warranties make the dealers lots of money. Check out good sam extended warranties. You can fix just about anything on the 5th wheels or trailers. All it will cost you is the parts and a little time.

ChopperBill

Extended warranties are an insurance policy. My insurance agent drives a Cadillac and lives in house 4 times bigger than mine.

dynaguy

we purchased ot on our last 2 and then transferred the remaining balance. They are good in my book but then maybe i have bad luck :)

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Never buy an extended warranty on anything. With all the money you save, you can either fix it yourself, have your friends fix it, or pay to have it fixed. You will come out better in the long run.