Is there special televisions for rv's

JENSENRVdirect

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers, Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras and the Advent brand of appliances. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

This topic arises from time to time and is a valid question. What makes a TV “made for RV’s”? As the leading manufacturer of electronics made specifically for the RV industry, I would like to offer some insight to help answer this and avoid some of the usual misinformation that typically follows this question. While many TV’s installed in RV’s are traditional “home” TV’s, our JENSEN line of TV’s really are different in several ways that make them more desirable for mobile applications.

One of the first things is the internal chassis, where the wall-mount brackets attach to the TV’s substructure. This is significantly strengthened to allow us to make sure that the TV will not break-free of the mount due to a major impact (such as a bad pothole or a bumpy road). This is a safety concern as an unsecured TV could become a danger to passengers if it broke free of the mount. At ASA Electronics, we test both our TV’s and some competitor TV’s in a vibration chamber that shakes the TV while mounted in RV fashion . We have seen many “home” TV’s break free during this comparative testing , specifically units that mount only to the plastic housing.

Our TV’s are also tested to verify they will hold up to the common temperature & humidity extremes that our RV customers may experience from summer through winter. Specifically, we test our TV’s to these conditions: Operating Temperature Range -4°F to 149°F (-20°C to 65°C); Storage Temperature Range -22°F to 158°F (-30°C to 70°C); and a maximum 90% relative humidity.

Many of our JENSEN TV’s also feature anti-glare screens which help with daytime viewing and front-panel controls which are very handy in many RV cabinet installations where top/side controls are inaccessible. Robust internal electronics , including conformal coated circuit boards, add to the durability of the product . We specifically produce +12V DC LCD televisions for RV use and have a line of LED LCD TV’s that are entirely +12V DC (up to 32” screen size). This is very handy for the RV application as 110V AC is not required to operate.

TV’s that are made for “home” use are fine, when used in the climate-controlled, stationary installation of a home’s living room. Will they hold up as well while traveling through the various road & weather conditions that many RV’s encounter? Possibly. It is true that most of the large “home” TV manufacturers will not produce specialty TV’s for the smaller quantities that this market demands. ASA Electronics, however, specializes in mobile applications and markets.

I hope that you take this as an informative answer rather than as a marketing/sales pitch. While I only included information about our TV’s for reference, there may be other TV’s made for mobile applications. I just wanted to add some facts that can help answer this question and possibly help future TV buyers so that they are aware there really are differences, and can make an informed buying decision.

Please let me know if I can assist further.

I would like to put a TV in my MPG 183, and have been looking at a lot of past posts & haven't found any answers. Can you just put in a home TV or are there special TV's made for Rv's? Thanks for your help.

Kevin, MPG183 w/Ford f150

Yes, special motorhome TV's do exist. Using a standard home TV is fine but you can only run them on 110v power and they weren't designed with travel in mind. A TV built for travel will be constructed in a way that will help it stand-up to the rigors of traveling the country in your MH. Also, a TV built for travel should offer dual voltage operation (ie. 12v & 110v). All of these 12volt-travel TV's are built for your MH and they all appear to include the NTSC digital tuner and the ATSC analog tuner. Pretty useful if you're gonna hook up anything that will require channel 3 or 4. . .

Cheers, Grandpa-Bubby