It's almost Bristol Time

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well, it's a little over a month until the fun of racing under the lights at Bristol. Who's going? We are taking the camper up on the 17th with Byrd staying the week. I will be coming in on Wednesday for the truck races. Anybody want to get together?

Nabo

Here we are set up at Bristol waiting on the mass. Troybuilt71 has also just arrived and set up.

Bristol 8-18-13 #2.jpg

szewczyk_john

you are killing me. I had to sell my tickets for Richmond and Martinsville so we could go to San Antonio to see my oldest son graduate rom Air Force Basic Training. I look forward to these short tracks all year but had to pick one or the other and there is no way I'm missing him graduate and become a service man. I already have ideas of setting up camp next year and then driving to Mississippi to pick him up from his tech training school. Have fun.

scottyb

Sounds like a lot of fun Nabo. I have to say that it looks a lot greener than the sites at Texas Motor Speedway. They are basically a gravel parking lot. Is it a very long walk for you to the stadium.

I do get to park my rig up close at the boat races. In San Angelo I was parked in the pits about 50' behind a Top Fuel Team. At Lucas Oil Speedway in Wheatland, MO I park near the tech inspection building so I have electric and water. They race Late Models and Modified on Sat night at the dirt track. I returned to my trailer from a day of boat racing, only to find myself surrounded with dirt track race teams. Needless to say, it was an interesting night. I woke up at 5 AM Sun morning, and the whole lot was clear. Ours is a 3 day event and I'm not used to that.

Attachments

• IMAG0321.jpg
    IMAG0321.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 58

ILH

I was just watching a history of Bristol on the Speed channel. Very cool track. It's on my list of places to see.

Nabo

BMS.jpgThe track is less than a quarter of a mile from the cg. It takes us less than 10 minutes to get to our seats depending on the crowd flow. Troybuilt's Sundance with our Big Country.
Bristol sites.jpg We are going to miss our other camping buddies jejinks who couldn't camp this year but will be driving up for the races.

scottyb

View attachment 26015The track is less than a quarter of a mile from the cg. It takes us less than 10 minutes to get to our seats depending on the crowd flow. Troybuilt's Sundance with our Big Country.
View attachment 26016 We are going to miss our other camping buddies jejinks who couldn't camp this year but will be driving up for the races.

That is very nice. Not only a pretty place but it looks like you have plenty of room and your not stacked in together. Are these places hard to come by?

Nabo

If you had asked that question about 5 years ago, I would have said yes, campsites are hard to get but now with the economy like it is, its pretty ez. The less expensive sites can be a little harder with boondocking being at a premium. The cg we are at is not full for this race at all.

Gas20

Been wanting to go how or where do you get a site, now that I have the Elkridge and have the time, maybe the wife and I can go next year.

Nabo

FYI - road construction on I-40 over Douglas Lake near mile marker 425, reducing traffic down to one lane over the bridge. This will effect those coming to the Bristol races from Asheville/Waynesville area.

happyappy

Where are you guys staying? I've tent camped at a couple of "temporary" campgrounds next to the track. Awesome fun but barely enough room for my tent and truck...no way I could get my Landmark in there.

I'd love to go back with my Landmark next year.

porthole

Retired
Our view from the camper of turn one at Dover.

Turn_1_b.jpg

And although I didn't go to the early line for wrist bands for the autograph session, I did get to stand next to, say hi - etc to the King!

Petty_2.jpg

BHEWITTJR

Do you have hook ups there or is it all dry. When we go to Darlington I have to run the generator and fill the water tank for the week.

Nabo

The campground we use is called 186 OTBR which is located on Old Thomas Bridge Road in Bluff City, only opened for race weeks. They have dry camping areas, 30 amp/water areas & 50 amp/water areas. We have stayed in the 50 amp area for about ten years. There's no sewer but honey wagons run all the time for a fee.
Campers are rolling in to all the cg around the track. The big bristol dragstrip cg just opened up this morning so they have be pulling in like crazy but we can't justify the $750+ fee for the 6 day max stay. At OTBR you can stay as long as you want. We came in last Saturday and were the first in. So peaceful & quiet.
I-40 west bound had a rock slide at MM 7 in the mountains last night. Wonder how thats going to effect traffic.

porthole

Retired
$750 - that's insane.
The premium section at Dover is $130, entry allowed the Saturday before (week) and we stay until Monday after the race.

Nabo

It's 9 o'clock and they are already on the track practicing this morning. Will have to go up and see which group is on the track.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
Nathan, we will get with you for next year. We last went in 2001 and it was dry docking. Would love to have ac power.