July 4th

Bones

To all traveling on This holiday weekend. Happy 4th. Make sure you all get to your final destinations safe and sound. Good luck to all. Ciao.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
You guys going anywhere? We came home from our cabin yesterday afternoon, SB on US 15, already heavy traffic NB. We'll be local doing some chores and hanging out around the pool .
Safe travels to those weekend warriors out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

You guys going anywhere? We came home from our cabin yesterday afternoon, SB on US 15, already heavy traffic NB. We'll be local doing some chores and hanging out around the pool .
Safe travels to those weekend warriors out there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old Mill Stream this weekend. We get to battle traffic later today.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Arrived at the Royal Gorge, Colorado this afternoon through Monday.

travelin2

Arrived at the Royal Gorge, Colorado this afternoon through Monday.

The forest regenerating after the wildfire of several years ago?? Barren landscape 2 yrs ago when we were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Forest fires are a natural reissue/replacement phenomenon. They've only become a problem when idiots demand to commune with nature and build exclusive subdivisions in them. Then want federal relief dollars to pay for their loss

travelin2

Forest fires are a natural reissue/replacement phenomenon. They've only become a problem when idiots demand to commune with nature and build exclusive subdivisions in them. Then want federal relief dollars to pay for their loss

Well aware of that. I'm an outdoor person as well are my sons one of whom is an assistant ranger for the USFS in Montana and has been on the fire line. I have seen first hand damage and hiked through miles of reforestation in the Rockies.
My question of JohnD was how far has the forest regenerated since the fires a few years ago.

travelin2

A year ago today we were in one of our great national parks, the Riley Creek CG in Denali NP.
Happy Independence Day everyone!
!!!
502359eed7906c8c1560a4ae9d7bb63e.jpg

Last edited:

JohnD

We are going to drive down to the Royal Gorge Bridge today (so far have just stayed and relaxed at the campground since we got here on Friday).

The park at the bridge has reopened . . . not sure if we will go in as they are probably going to be super busy today!

The gorge is in the background of the first shot:

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020324.jpg

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020314.jpg

ProwlerRoyalGorge-P7020317.jpg

travelin2

We are going to drive down to the Royal Gorge Bridge today (so far have just stayed and relaxed at the campground since we got here on Friday).

The park at the bridge has reopened . . . not sure if we will go in as they are probably going to be super busy today!

]

When we were there 2 yrs ago (second visit, there a decade earlier) the park was still closed from the fire but the mountainsides had been cleared of most burn damage and apparently reseeded to minimize erosion. Just curious about current conditions. Given a chance Mother Nature is pretty resilient.
Enjoy your weekend. We're just back from a bicycle ride hanging around our pool.
debc48033af4a76261c236b29c42b79b.jpg

JohnD

When we were there 2 yrs ago (second visit, there a decade earlier) the park was still closed from the fire but the mountainsides had been cleared of most burn damage and apparently reseeded to minimize erosion. Just curious about current conditions. Given a chance Mother Nature is pretty resilient.
Enjoy your weekend. We're just back from a bicycle ride hanging around our pool.

Took these down at the Royal Gorge today . . .

RoyalGorge-P7030362.jpg

RoyalGorge-P7030389.jpg

A storm was rolling in when I took the shot of the bridge . . .

travelin2

That's the CO Rockies...if you don't like the weather, give it 10 minutes and it'll change!

Bones

debc48033af4a76261c236b29c42b79b.jpg

There's nothing wrong with this park picture.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 46164

View attachment 46165

Awesome pictures JohnD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mullett Lake, looking to the north, after circumnavigating the shoreline from the Indian River. Very little boat traffic.Mullett Lake July 4 2016 1.JPG

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
42fbe5ffeb380292add4c418459f545a.jpg

Our home park near Cisco, Tx. Watching a thunderhead develop to our north. We stayed home rather then go anywhere this year. However, we noticed our park, which typically has fulltimers or overnighters, had some folks in for the holiday weekend. It was nice to see families enjoying camping this holiday around us.

It appears the rain held off just long enough to get in the fireworks show in town. (Saw it on Facebook!)