Just brought it home! 2011 Bighorn 3585RL

Carleen

We (being my Mom and I) just purchased our first Fifth Wheel. Were both single mom's who love to go RVing, so we have made a pact to do it together since neither of us want to do it alone. I grew up with a tent trailer we had for 18 years. We recently upgraded to a 22' travel trailer with bunks so my son can have his own bed. Then he just kept growing! We decided we wanted more room and a couch to relax on. The Bighorn fit the bill!

My Dad has had quite a few RV's. To keep the list short- the last 15 years he has had the following: 2004 Montana 3255RL, 2008 Montana 3400RL, 2012 Redwood 36RL, and recently a beautiful 2013 Winnebago Tour 42E. I tend to follow him around everywhere and help him with everything, so I have a healthy knowledge of what I am doing with our new RV.

Our first trip out was a bit scary. I didn't realize how much work it was to transfer everything over! We were rushed through the PDI (as expected) and found a few problems that weren't terrible. The water hose to the ice maker had froze and one of the dining chairs was falling apart. Because we only were on 30A service, they said we couldn't check the front AC. I gave him a look because I couldn't see anything wrong with running it alone to test it, but he was adamant we couldn't do it. We drove it out to the local lake so we could organize and test everything. It was 100 F out and the first thing I wanted to do was start up all the AC's. Imagine that- the front bedroom AC didn't work. I narrowed it down to the capacitor, so I will be repairing that since I can't get it into the dealership for repair anytime soon. I also couldn't get the galley tank valve to open when we wanted to dump, so I have torn into that and found it is a new valve replacement and they tightened the screws too tight. I did appreciate the details on the HUG site for re-patching a hatch on the underbelly for access to the valves. The last disappointment was a massive water leak for the black tank flush. My gifted father told me there is a back flow-prevention/vent valve that is located about two feet above the tank that tends to break. I found it behind the hatch in the shower. I took it apart and found a tiny little rock was blocking the valve from shutting all the way causing water to spray everywhere.

So, after a few tweaks and fixes, I think we are good to go. I just had to remind myself this is what you go through every time you buy a new trailer. There are a lot of moving parts and systems that can break. I actually refuse to buy new because I want someone else to go through and fix everything before I use it. I think of it as them taking an extended test drive, testing and trying everything, then fixing it on their dime.

I will re-post what the fix was on the AC and what symptoms it had.

danemayer

Carleen,

You sound like you're on top of everything. Too bad that dealer was such a scoundrel on the front A/C. Sounds like he knew it was broken.

Hope to meet you and your Mom at an upcoming Colorado Rally.

Carleen

My thoughts... It seems like RV dealerships take in RV's on trade (and even new rigs) and put them on the lot without going through everything or cleaning it. Then, the customer walks around and looks at all the broken things. Once the customer decides to buy it, they clean it and "go through everything". By "going through everything" I mean they plug it in, add some water and wait for the customer to arrive to do the PDI. Not until this time do they find what is broken. (I can tell they didn't charge the water system because once I turned on the pump, it didn't stop running. The PDI guy said it must be filling the hot water tank. I suggested we walk around to find what is leaking. Behold! Water was pouring out the refrigerator vent on the outside. Told me they never charged the water system.) After the PDI, the customer expects the not functioning or broken systems to be repaired so they can use it, but they have to then schedule it for service at a later date and they can't get you in for 8 weeks because it's so busy.

Now doesn't it make sense to go through the RV once it is traded in? Do a full system check, winterize it right away, clean it and stick it out on the lot? Then the customer can see what a great RV it is. Then the PDI will be a piece of cake because everything was already tested. Also, service wouldn't be so backed up because the repairs have been made at the time of trade.

Who knows- just me trying to understand why they don't run the shop like car dealerships.

After all of this, the dealership was more than happy to refund the cost of parts and have me fix it myself. It is a solution that works for both of us, so I am happy in the end because I can do it on my timeframe. I don't think this is localized problem with specific dealerships, but rather an industry-wide problem.

Carleen

Believe it or not- they are one of the better dealerships! I have seen some crazy stuff while shopping. We went into a beautiful '09 Bighorn with a huge kitchen and the floor was destroyed because of a water leak. All the roof vents were broken from hail and the sales lady just said "oh". I ran from that place.

I was able to spend the majority of the weekend going through everything and all the other parts and pieces are in good shape. The trailer is beautiful and was well taken care of. It is just a few little things that could have been easily fixed or prevented.

We (being my Mom and I) just purchased our first Fifth Wheel. Were both single mom's who love to go RVing, so we have made a pact to do it together since neither of us want to do it alone.

Congratulations!!! I just bought my first Travel Trailer as well. My sister and I love camping but we no longer enjoy tenting it as the FL heat and fire ants are obnoxious. So I bought a TT and we are planning on 1 to 2 weekend trips per month.

Nice to see other women out there taking the plunge on their own. Congrats again!

Carleen

We have this picture hanging on the wall that says "We are going to be really cool old ladies". I love it! I love seeing more women out trying it on their own. It seems to be getting more popular!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Carleen, what brand of tires does it have??? If "Towmax" AKA "BLOWMAX"....don't drive another mile with them. Get a set Sailun's installed ASAP and you should replace the spare tire also. You don't want a tire to come apart and destroy the side of your new to you Horn. Their are hundreds of posts here about those tires. Use the "search box" at the top of the portal page.

Carleen

Hi Bob- I am not sure what tires it has. My Dad is a tire "Guru" after having blowouts himself and gave these the thumbs-up. The manufacture date is 2015 so they aren't too old. I also didn't check the brand or year on the spare. I will be heading back to storage to replace the AC capacitor this weekend and will check out the brand. It has been overwhelming going though everything in one weekend.

Thanks for the heads up!!