Kingpin Stabilizer

Dylan

New to the world of Fifth Wheelin this spring. Setting up for 3 months with the 3670RL. Does a kingpin stabilizer make that much difference?....is it necessary?....ect. Any info much appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Kinpin Stabilizer

They do help some. I have one and don't use it. It was more trouble to lug it around than it was to worth to me. But if you are going to be set up for three months........
Like many other things we buy, it is a matter of personal preference.

Peace
Dave

dfk009

We bought the aluminum stabilizer from Camping World on sale plus free shipping promotion. We LOVE it! The light weight, easy to handle, and very simple to install. Ours can have a pad lock put on it for theft. As long as you have a fairly level crushed rock, or paved surface, it has made our 38 footer "rock" solid when we walk. Many people rave about the usefulness of the stabilizer with a washer/dryer. We don't leave home without it.

Geonkat

Dylan,
We are by no means 5th wheel experts, and have never used the king pin stabilizer. Whether you "NEED" one is a matter of taste. Our Bighorn is pretty solid in the vertical direction, but when someone walks around, we get some fore/aft and side to side movement. After doing a lot of reading, we decided to go with the Steadyfast stabilizer http://www.steadyfast.com/ . I'm waiting for warmer weather to install it, but I can say it arrived well packed and looks to be quality hardware. I have read reviews of other systems such as the J T stabilizer and folks have had good results. These systems cost more than the kingpin tripod, but for us the ease of set up and not having to store anything was important. We have used the Bighorn for a year and a half without one, so we really did not "NEED" one. I do think it will improve our comfort, and that's worth something.
Just thought I'd throw these options out there as alternatives.

Enjoy your Bighorn,

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Dylan, what year is your 3670? The earlier rigs had electric landing gear and if that is your situation, yes, a kingpin stabilizer will help some. JT Stabilizers or any brand of landing gear stabilizers will provide a more stable platform. Adding a set of scissors jacks to the center area of the frame close to the tires will help even more.

Birchwood

We have one and I think it may provide 20% more stabilization but also makes a nice bike rack.
If I did it again I would purchase the tripod for the above mentioned reasons.

Westwind

I purchase one of aluminum the ones when we bought our new Bighorn a couple of months ago, right now I have it on the trailer with a good solid padlock since our FW sits in our driveway year round which is close to the road. It sort of works as a lock on the hitch pin. I haven't used it yet while using the trailer, but we have a WD and I figured we would need all the held we could get. It's nice and light and not difficult to setup and take down. I'll try and remember to post after we have tested it but I also have the tire locks on and I know that really helps.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I'v got one ya can have, just come and get it. They are no comparison to JT stablizers. I now have Level-up and thanks to Duane (Porthole) I am now putting the JT's back on with the Level-up.

Westwind

I didn't have much movement at all without the Kingpin Stabilizer, but as I said we haven't used the WD yet. If it serves any purpose at all it will keep us from walking into the hitch like my wife did the first week we had the trailer in the driveway. Besides almost being knocked out and a real ugly gash on her head I'm thinking the $135 bucks I spend might prevent me from doing the same.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1

I bought one, used it several times, could not tell it was working at all. Made some home made jt stabilizers and they work a lot better. Also use the hd things between the tires.

Dutch & Di

We too tried a bi Pod 1at then added extra rear jacks and while they helped some they did not work for us. We added our permanently mounted stabilizers over 6 years and have been happy campers ever since. Hugs, Di

MTPockets

Our new Big Horn is fairly stable with the rear Electric stabilizers down, front Hydraulic jacks, and tire chocks. We tried the King Pin stabilizer and it helps some more, so I'm gonna stay with it. Each small piece adds up to a more stable unit.

rboehlke

We have a 3585 and overall it is very stable. Like everyone we thought the kingpin was going to make a big difference, but it doesn't seem like it did. We did think that the tire locks on the other hand provided significant stabilization for the living room and kitchen.

Westwind

Rboehlke - I think your right, we have the tire locks and right from the beginning I felt that our new 3070RL was stable, one of the reasons I got the Kingpin Stabilizer was the WD that we have in the far front. I figured located in that spot the FW would need all the help it can get. I also feel the front legs being spaced on the outer front of the FW help make it stable.

aatauses

I had the same question when we first started. After getting alot of good advice from this forum, we purchased stabilizers instead of a kin pin support. We purchased ours from Tweedy,s made by Ultra Fab---we have been very happy with the results.
al

shovelguy

Had one, used it once or twice. Didn't seem to make much difference. Gave it to Goodwill last summer as we cleaned out the garage.

Birchwood

A king pin stabilizer is like Rv toilet paper and holding tank deodorizer.Someone is making money from these products
but all make a <5% differance in RV lifestyle.We have one and use it mainly as a bike rack but if you have a light fifth wheel
it may make more of a differance it stabilization.The most important aspect of fifth wheel stabilization is wheel movement

porthole

Retired
New to the world of Fifth Wheelin this spring. Setting up for 3 months with the 3670RL. Does a kingpin stabilizer make that much difference?....is it necessary?....ect. Any info much appreciated.

Big benefit to the camp store, little benefit too you.

ncc1701e

Big benefit to the camp store, little benefit too you.

By itself the kingpin stablizer does not do that much, but use it along with a good set of "X" chocks on the wheels and it all adds up to a much more stable rig. I also added JT struts on all four corners of the trailer. If I was to choose only one it would be the "X" chocks. The little extra time to lock the struts and put the king pin stand in place are worth the effor to me. You'll find as many who do as who don't. Red River Rec Area East Grand Forks.jpg