Lightening Strike

bsummit

Arkansas Chapter Leader-Retired
Two weeks ago yesterday I had lightening strike our rig. Don't know where the strike came in at but the hydraulic leveling system malfunctioned and worked on it's own. Talked to lippert tech and was able to get back to basic level. About an hour later smoke started coming out he furnace return air vent with burning wire smell. Turned off the battery disconnect to the pump, but the front legs had extended all the way. Contacted insurance the next day and called a lippert installer located about 50 miles from our location. When he finally made it here 2 days later it took him 2 1/2 hours to find the problem.
The main control board that controls the leveling, slides, and remote system was fried to a crisp. New part is suppose to be here Friday. Nothing else in the rig was damaged. Very interesting where this board was located.
Just another story of what can happen. Never heard of it happening before.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Glad he was able to find the problem. A couple of years back when we had the Big Country, lightening struck a tree near the camper which fried the surge protector but the wiring and appliances inside the camper was fine. Thank goodness for the surge protector.

jayc

Legendary Member
At least no one was hurt and you were there to turn the battery disconnect off.

TxCowboy

If you've had a lightening strike, I'd consider doing a total systems check on every electrical system and component.

Back in my military flying days, I had a lightening strike on my aircraft and it damaged a ton of the on-board avionics, blew a tail light marker completely off the aircraft, and even took out the electrical components on the rescue hoist.

An inspection of the aircraft after landing found melted rubber insulator and lot of damaged electrical connectors.

My point is that you may find other damage that is not readily apparent and not limited to your landing gear system.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Years ago I had a lightning strike on a telephone pole at the end of my driveway . . .

It took out the 'neutral' line to the house . . . which basically blew out everything in the house (washer, dryer, fridge, TV, stereos - need I say more?).

You should take your rig and have it checked out . . . and inform your insurance company as well!