Lippert springs strike again

boatdoc

I have not had a chance to put our new Emco springs on the 3670 but hope to soon. I had two options of where to buy the new 4000lb springs, Lippert and Dexter. Although I hated to, I went to Lippert because their pricing was MUCH better than than the Dexter dealer closest to us. Dang I hated giving them our money but this should be the last time I have to change springs.
Lippert gave me the same runaround as everybody else as in sending the springs back and they'll check them, my @$#%. I was also kind of lead to believe that Heartland is seeking out at least a different spring supplier, can you say EMCO? I really do hope Heartland does something to remedy the problems our wonderfull trailers go down the road on, as in get rid of Lippert and their Chinese junk and novice welders.

RubiconAg

I just bought 2 new springs from Lippert for my Cylcone and when they came in, they were Emco springs.

Emco is the manufacturer of the spring but they manufacture Lipperts springs to Lippert's specifications. If you look on their website the 4 leaf pack 3000# spring is a nonstock item which means its not an off the shelf product thus produced for a specific manufacturer. The off the shelf 3000# range spring is the 3300# which is what I will be installing and is a 6 leaf pack, not 4. Obviously Emco feels that a properly designed 3000# spring should have 6 leafs. There is a reason that the 4 pack 3000# is not an off the shelf product! I don't blame the spring manufacturer, its Lipperts issue, they put it on their frame and did not stand behind the product they made/certified/engineered/manufactured, etc.

boatdoc

Ordered thru Lippert, Emco will not sell to end users. Lippert had the best price as my post said but it was hard to give them my money. The have a parts website and was easy to order thru it.

Tankie

I was looking at Emco's web site and they had a set of 4000# springs with 8 leafs. Can any repair shop purchase from them?

lwmcguir

We went with the Lippert 4,000 pound springs. Exact fit and they are holding their arch perfectly one year later. They came with the 9/16 u-bolts as well. Also installed wet bolts when we had the CP installed. Very happy with the setup.

tbauer

Hello to everyone,
Hate to have my first post be about a problem but I appreciate the info we are sharing. My 2008 cyclone 4012 also had a spring break and ruin a tire . Lucky thing at happened only a mile from the house and my wife got it home. First china bomb tires now china springs after further inspection I've found at least one more spring broke in two. My plan is to replace all the springs and u bolts .Just a thought, once a u bolt has been torqued it should be replaced . I haven't contacted lippert yet so I won't comment on them. I'll let you know, but so far we are out five hundred dollars and I haven't even started. I found made in U.S.A. springs at northern tool that look identical to the originals but are only rated at 3000 lbs per pair if I'm reading them correctly not 5200 lbs like mine . So long for now thanks for all the information on this site. Ted Bauer

tbauer

I spoke to a spring salesman and just from the info I told him on the phone he said they should be five leaf. I also called heartland and they are involved now I'll keep you posted.

boatdoc

Ted, Don't be surprized when Heartland passes you off to Lippert. This is the normal thing they do. When this happens Lippert will tell you, you overloaded your rig and the springs broke, tuff $^%@, you're on your own. Do a little search on these forums under springs or Lippert and you'll see what I mean.

tbauer

Had a conference call with Heartland and Lippert today after I told Heartland the trailer was purchased from them not Lippert. I was told I'm a year out of warranty. So I brought to their attention the Heartland spec on the axles is 6000 lbs, the axles on my trailer are 5200 lbs the springs are 3600 lbs and made in China. I let him know that we still make springs in Tulsa Ok. The Lippert rep asked me to send in some photos of the broken springs. So now it's up to them. I also let them know that through the Internet we are coming together and sharing this info. Thanks to those who have posted before me.

boatdoc

Ted, Talking to Lippert is like talking to a bunch of bricks, they don't understand and could care less. They got your money one way or another and now are looking for their next victom. Untill Heartland and other manufacturers put the heat on them or quit buying their junk we will all be replacing the undercarriage componets on our own. Many of us already have. It's kind of like big government, it's got so big that they don't care what we think.

Paul & Nan

Good luck--Lippert denied us, despite about 50 pictures, etc. We were 6 months out of warranty. And we are still having problems, have ruined 2 more G614 tires, after having the right springs installed in Utah. Lippert is of no use at all, their JUNK springs have caused us no end of problems, not helped by replacing on the road, after to much damage was done. Lippert is, in my opinion, dangeous, as they do not care what happens as long as they get their dollars. Heartland needs to get someone else to do their frame and suspension, in our opinion. We will likely get rid of our BH, if we can financially do it due to the problems. This is our second BH, the first we forgave the issues as it was a very early model, this one-----------suspension, well------I do not want to keep buying new tires and fixing the suspension. Costing to much in money and peace of mind. Heartland builds a good product from above the frame, but.............Sorry, we are frustrated,

tbauer

Sorry to hear of the bad results with Lippert. I enjoy my toy hauler very much we just had returned from Denver to Fort worth about 850 miles each way . I don't what would have happen if these springs broke out there. Or on the downward side of the Rockies. Is anyone having the same problems with the 6000lbs axles and 16 inch wheels?

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Lippert manufactures many fine products including pin cushions and level up systems, but unfortunately their springs are extremely inferior as noted by hundreds of Heartland Forum threads and posts attesting to the suspension problems they are experiencing. Broken and flattened springs could lead to dangerous accidents that only by luck haven't killed anyone yet. Our only hope is that both Lippert and Heartland have recognized this deficiency, and are taking corrective measures. My personal solution is to purchase Mor/Ryde Independent Suspensions (IS), along with disc brakes on my next 5th wheel.

If I was Lippert I would recall all of their springs and replace them with American made parts that were carefully quality controlled and safe to be on the road.

Last edited:

Jimmyt5

Lost a spring yesterday, eat away two Michlen tires smoked up the rig bad. Cost me a sum of cash to get home...
Guess I just joined the spring group.

tbauer

Sorry to hear your with us . I've got about a thousand dollars out so far not to mention my time . I replaced all the springs and u bolts myself and up graded to six thousand pound leafs .We just drove from Ft Worth to Milwaukee about 1100 miles I crawled under and torqued the bolts several times. Still no word back from heart land or lippert . Although a heartland employee has told me they will not be using lippert axles any more. Sounds like no one was hurt good thing. Every one needs to check you u bolt. Ted