Maximum water pressure?

TxCowboy

Why is 60 psi the max water pressure we should use?

This question is based upon numerous comments I've seen in other threads, including one this morning about flushing the black water tank with the installed flush system, where folks swear that 60 psi is the max pressure.

My Anderson value has raised lettering that states 100 psi max pressure. I also understand that the water systems in Heartland products is pressured tested to a level higher than 100 psi.

I put a pressure gauge on the park's water bib that I'm connected to and the pressure there is only 80 psi. I currently have a 50 psi regulator attached but don't like the cold water pressure at the kitchen sink and am thinking about removing that regulator entirely or finding one that is rated at 80 psi (probably a safer choice).

Your thoughts on this topic? :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your regulated 50 pi should be plenty enough pressure.
If you want more pressure from the kitchen faucet I suggest removing the flow restrictor in the sprayer hose.
I did and it made a world of difference.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Why is 60 psi the max water pressure we should use?

This question is based upon numerous comments I've seen in other threads, including one this morning about flushing the black water tank with the installed flush system, where folks swear that 60 psi is the max pressure.

My Anderson value has raised lettering that states 100 psi max pressure. I also understand that the water systems in Heartland products is pressured tested to a level higher than 100 psi.

:confused:

What's the weakest link in the plumbing system? Maybe the plastic fittings used at the water heater, sink, toilet valve, etc. Your manual says 60 psi max. If you want to test your plumbing, go higher, but keep in mind you might end up with a bunch of water leaks and resultant damage.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It seems that no matter what campground we go to if I put the water pressure regulator on . . . we get very little water pressure in the trailer.

So far, I've always run without the regulator and this seems to be the only way to get decent water pressure.

And this was true with our previous Heartland trailer as well.

Has anyone ever found a campground that had too high of water pressure?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Pressure vs flow??
What is it you're trying to achieve?
I've had to sign a release twice now that I have been informed the CG pressure exceeds 50#.
If you want a higher flow rate remove the faucet flow restrictions.
If you increase pressure with restrictions at the faucets, the results could be less than satisfactory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

So, 60 psi it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Your regulated 50 pi should be plenty enough pressure.
If you want more pressure from the kitchen faucet I suggest removing the flow restrictor in the sprayer hose.
I did and it made a world of difference.

Peace
Dave

Dave, that's a good suggestion. I did that one the old RV and it did improve a bit. Not sure if the Moen faucet has that same setup or if it's even accessible without removing the faucet but it's worth checking.

57chevyconvt

Your right on target with the comment on flow versus pressure. With an adjustable pressure regulator you are adjusting the pressure in a no flow situation to protect the down stream user, your RV, when there is no flow. Regulators inherently are equipped with a flow restriction orifice. In addition to flow restrictions, one must consider the pressure drop through the filter, inlet water hose, water line size and fittings and water faucets in the RV. City water pressure normally runs between 45 and 50 psi. The reason you get sufficient flow in your house is that water supply lines are larger with less pressure drop for the equivalent length of pipe.

avvidclif

First step is to get rid of the $10 wally world special pressure regulator. They regulate the pressure but also drop the flow to 1-2 GPM. Get a Watts that is rated for ~4 GPM+. Then remove the restrictions in the faucets. Replace the shower head with an Oxygenics and you should be fine.

Last group campout one of our new members didn't have a regulator and a water line or connection broke, I wasn't involved in the repair. It required a fast run to the store for some replacement fittings. And a regulator.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My earlier post about signing a release----in one park I was told the municipal water system was supplying water service at 70 psi and that "older" rigs were blowing lines. Even though parts of our HL rigs say "tested to 100 psi" I have no plans to validate that test. !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

First step is to get rid of the $10 wally world special pressure regulator. They regulate the pressure but also drop the flow to 1-2 GPM. Get a Watts that is rated for ~4 GPM+. Then remove the restrictions in the faucets. Replace the shower head with an Oxygenics and you should be fine.

What is this 'Watts' regulator of which you speak?

And where can you get it?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim is correct. Normal water pressure in your S/B's is 45-50#. Ours is 110# before the regulator. That pressure would blow stuff a part if you put 110# to your coach or S/B.

avvidclif

What is this 'Watts' regulator of which you speak?

And where can you get it?

I bought mine from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm I have the 263A and it works great. Note the rebuild kit is $10 which you might need in 3-4 years if you camp a lot. They also have custom made hoses that make most other hoses look like junk, brass ends or stainless if desired. Water filters etc. I have several of their hoses and while expensive they will outlast me.

JohnD

I bought mine from http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm I have the 263A and it works great. Note the rebuild kit is $10 which you might need in 3-4 years if you camp a lot. They also have custom made hoses that make most other hoses look like junk, brass ends or stainless if desired. Water filters etc. I have several of their hoses and while expensive they will outlast me.

Cool . . . thanks for the info.

I will get one of these.

I almost bought a similar one like that at Camping World, but after reading the reviews about the one they sell, I decided against it.

Most of the reviews said they only got a week or two out of them before they fell apart!

avvidclif

Someone else stated the S&B water pressure is 55-60 IIRC. My last house ran 90-100 and the current one is 125-145. No answer why from the Water Dept, just a funny look. Makes for a great shower once the restriction is removed from the shower head.

wdk450

It seems that no matter what campground we go to if I put the water pressure regulator on . . . we get very little water pressure in the trailer.

So far, I've always run without the regulator and this seems to be the only way to get decent water pressure.

And this was true with our previous Heartland trailer as well.

Has anyone ever found a campground that had too high of water pressure?

I just completed my 3rd 3 week stay of the summer at Thousand Trails Snowflower on the crest of the Sierra Nevada Mountains (6000 feet elevation) on I-80. When i first hooked up my water hoses the hose line to the outside water filter fittings blew apart 4 times before I could make them stay together. Park rangers said that their water pressure was about 125 psi. I had a fixed orfice regulator. I quickly ordered a dynamic adjustable regulator through E-Bay.

One of my first big trips, on my way to Yellowstone from Ca., I stopped overnight at Wells, Nevada on I-80. My black tank was full and I did a dump first thing. The high water pressure there blew out my atmospheric breaker valve high up in the wall behind my toilet, causing a water flood that soaked my $220 12 volt converter/charger. I had to come up with a 12 volt battery charger for 2 days on the road until I could get the proper converter/charger re-installed. This document ( http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/The_Flusher2_Install_.pdf ) says that the working pressure is up to 125 psi, and I don't know what the Wells, Nevada water pressure was, but a blown out valve flooding your charger is something you don't want to have happen.

I have read my story of the blown flusher valve repeated by a few other owners on this forum.

JohnD

I just completed my 3rd 3 week stay of the summer at Thousand Trails Snowflower on the crest of the Sierra Nevada Mountains (6000 feet elevation) on I-80. When i first hooked up my water hoses the hose line to the outside water filter fittings blew apart 4 times before I could make them stay together. Park rangers said that their water pressure was about 125 psi. I had a fixed orfice regulator. I quickly ordered a dynamic adjustable regulator through E-Bay.

One of my first big trips, on my way to Yellowstone from Ca., I stopped overnight at Wells, Nevada on I-80. My black tank was full and I did a dump first thing. The high water pressure there blew out my atmospheric breaker valve high up in the wall behind my toilet, causing a water flood that soaked my $220 12 volt converter/charger. I had to come up with a 12 volt battery charger for 2 days on the road until I could get the proper converter/charger re-installed. This document ( http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/The_Flusher2_Install_.pdf ) says that the working pressure is up to 125 psi, and I don't know what the Wells, Nevada water pressure was, but a blown out valve flooding your charger is something you don't want to have happen.

I have read my story of the blown flusher valve repeated by a few other owners on this forum.

I should have mentioned that I do always hook up the regulator first to see how the water pressure is.

If low . . . then I remove it!

So far, with both of our Heartland trailers that we've had, I have removed the regulator every single time.

I am going to order a Watts regulator like discussed a few posts up to see how that works out.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Pulling into an hooking up to electric and water hookups at a park you have never stayed at is an unknown thing. You do not know if the power is good or bad and the same goes for the water. It is always best to check the electric hookup for issues and check the water for flow, sanitation and taste. I have seen many hookup to the water without wiping the connection or turning it on to see if water even flows. There is nothing worse than leveling your rig, disconnecting from your tow vehicle, putting out the slides and then finding out the electric or water does not work right and you have to move to another site. One other thing to keep in mind is most water connections are low enough that a wild animal even a domesticated dog could have licked or peed on the faucet (yuck). We always wipe our faucet with a bleach wipe prior to connecting and also let the water run for a few seconds to flush any bugs or debris out. One other thing to keep in mind...have you ever seen someone take their sewer hose and hold it up to the water faucet to rinse it out? We have. Be safe and wipe before connecting.

pegmikef

I am going to order a Watts regulator like discussed a few posts up to see how that works out.

John, Dan Mayer put me on to this one since my watts died and needs rebuilding. It has good water flow and is simple to use. He has used his with no problem and I have been using mine on our current trip to Creede, Co and now the Missouri rally here in Carthage, MO. This is the fifth park I've used it in and have had no problems and excellent water flow.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

JohnD

John, Dan Mayer put me on to this one since my watts died and needs rebuilding. It has good water flow and is simple to use. He has used his with no problem and I have been using mine on our current trip to Creede, Co and now the Missouri rally here in Carthage, MO. This is the fifth park I've used it in and have had no problems and excellent water flow.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/PressureRegulators.htm

Which one did you get from that page?

Wish I had known you all were down in Creede . . . we were over at Blue Mesa while you guys were down there . . . not too far away.

Shoulda' hooked up!

jam20ster

I have seemed to always have low water pressure at just about every place we have stayed. I just started filling my fresh tank and using the water pump instead of water header pressure. Its like being in a sticks and bricks. Great water pressure 100% of the time. Only thing is every 2 days I have to fill it up, but not a big deal.