more DISH TailGator questions...

Cjackg

I have read lots of old posts on the Tailgator (TG) satellite systems but have a couple of questions and would like to get some fresh answers from those using the system..

1. Is it feasible to use longer than 50 ft coax with the system, 75' 100' ?

2. Does type or quality of the coax have much effect, is it worthwhile to buy the higher priced Quad shielded cable ?

3. Is there any truth to the claims that pointing the TG handle in a certain direction when setting up has any effect on the system ?

4. Does leveling the TG have any effect or benefit?

5. Is the use of Diplexors in the coax likely to affect the TG operation ?

6. Any suggestions for bases to mount the TG such as a stand ?

Thanks for any help !
Jack

pegmikef

I can answer a couple of the questions.

1. I have used 85 feet with no noticeable difference. The fifty footer provided with the Tailgater a barrel connector and a thirty five footer I made using standard RG60 cable that I bought at Lowes.

2. Mine works fine using the standard coax. More shielding can't hurt though.

3. Some say that the side opposite the handle is what should point south (meaning that the handle is the rear of the dish). However, I experimented with it in my driveway and turned it in forty five degree increments and there was no noticeable difference as long as the unit had an unobstructed view of the southern sky. It found all the satellites regardless of the orientation.

4. I always try to get it somewhat level, but it is not always perfect. Works fine.

5. Don't know, haven't tried them.

6. I have seen a lot of folks that have fabricated them out of bases intended for other units (e.g., Winegard), but I have always just set mine on the ground. Has worked find for three years now and no extra base to haul around.

Cjackg

One question I forgot to add is: If you get the message that Not all the sattellites were found during the Scan, is there an easy way to pin down just what you are missing?

pegmikef

Dish has a utility that lets you see the results. I forget what it is off the top of my head but you can get it using the remote. I think it is in the set up menu. When that happens to me I usually just go out and move the antenna a little rechecking for possible obstructions. Most often, unless there is really dense foilage it will find all the satellites.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I've had mine 100 feet away (2 50ft cables with a barrel connector) with no noticeable degradation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

100 ft of cable with no issues. Mine blew over twice in High winds so I mounted it on a 2 x 12 for ballast. No issues since. We have had a few times when a satellite was not found, but moving the tailgater resolved the issue. A clear shot to Southern sky is a must. On another occasion, we were getting no signal and after checking all connections, plugging directly into back of box inside to rule out internal cables, still no signal. I tried a new 50 ft coax and everything worked. My original 50 ft coax mysteriously went bad over night.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
No problems using diplexers. I setup my North trail to use diplexers via the existing coax. Make sure the coax your using is rated to at least 2100 or 300 Mhz. quad shielding would potentially reduce interference on the signal going through the cable.

scottyb

Mine served me well for 2+ years but I no longer need it. I just closed my Dish account. PM if interested.

TXTiger

Take a look at the Pathway X2 also. It has a bigger dish which helps find the satellite. It can also be setup to use 2 coax cables to 2 receivers for 2 televisions.

EPaulikonis

Questions #1 & 2 are complimentary. The longer the run, the more robust cable is required to carry the signal over the distance with same or less loss of signal strength. Quad-shield RG6 can be used for runs up to 100m with minimal loss across the 2-3000MHz spectrum. Type of cable connector is also important. Recommend using cables with a compression connection. Check image #4 here for a closer look. Cheaper RG59 isn't suitable for longer runs or the frequencies used by satellite systems.

Use of barrel connectors isn't a huge issue, but be aware that there is signal degradation for every joint you add. It's much better to use a single run of cable for the full distance rather than adding connectors of any type. Be sure to stay away from splitters as they cut signal strength by the number of outputs; i.e. 1 in 4 out = 1/4 of signal strength on each outbound hookup.

For question 4, it probably isn't critical unless your camping in Northern tier states (like Wyoming) and your TG is tipping northward. Why? The angle from your antenna's position to the satellite is ~10 degrees to the southern horizon and you may hit a hard stop where the antenna can't look further at it's own base.

And since mobilecastle mentioned trees, avoid evergreen trees! Pine needles have far more surface area than a broadleaf tree and will cause the greater amount of signal degradation at your antenna.

Cjackg

Thanks for the great responses!
I started the thread while trying to use my new Tailgater with a 100' cheap coax at our mtn cabin in NC and with a lot of erratic results.
Hopefully using the TG traveling with the Cyclone will go smoother. I do plan to buy a hi quality Quad shielded cable.

Last edited:

EPaulikonis

Data on the open net is not always up to date, but keep in mind that Dish only has 3 satellites that work with the TG antenna. They are:

EchoStar 10 at 110 degrees W; about due south of New Mexico/Arizona border - your probably seeing this one and on beam SB06 for Western Carolinas
EchoStar 14 at 119 degrees W; about due south of Los Angeles
Galaxy 12 at 129 degrees W; getting into the Pacific ocean now

If you were in Greensboro, NC, true azimuth to EchoStar 10 is 224 degrees. That's a lot different than someone telling you to just get an opening toward the South when placing the antenna. Just a general understanding of where these 3 satellites are in the sky will help you put your TG in a better position no matter where you camp.

mobilcastle

The new tailgater has a flaw according to a camper i ran into. This is the one with two cable feeds for two tunners. If his wife is watching tv he cannot access a chanel on a different satelite. He has to watch something on the same sattelite. Just thought i would pass this info along. TV war?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The new tailgater has a flaw according to a camper i ran into. This is the one with two cable feeds for two tunners. If his wife is watching tv he cannot access a chanel on a different satelite. He has to watch something on the same sattelite. Just thought i would pass this info along. TV war?

Yes I was researching this at one time. The two tuner version is called The VuCube Flex.

Here is copy from the owners manual:
The channels available on the second receiver are determined by the channel/satellite selected on the main receiver. For example, if you select a channel on the main receiver that is broadcast from the 119 satellite, then the second receiver will be able to display any channel broadcast from the 119 satellite.
If you switch channels on the main receiver to one that is broadcast from a different satellite, (i.e. your channel was broadcast from satellite 119 but your new channel is broadcast from the 110 or 129),
the antenna will automatically switch to the new satellite and programming will be lost on the second receiver until you either:
• Select a channel on the main receiver that is broadcast from the previous satellite (satellite 119 in this example).
(or)
• Reset the second receiver to download the program guide for the newly selected satellite (satellite 110 or 129 in this example).

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I keep mine in the original box. Carry it inside the RV while on the road. Put it in the storage bay if not using it while in an RV park.

pegmikef

I just keep mine in the basement (no box or anything) in a LIFO (last in first out) position by the door. I also keep the fifty foot cable coiled up with it and attached to the Tailgater. The other end of the cable has a barrel connector. In the UDC I have a short cable with a quick connect on the end so all I have to do is place the antenna, uncoil the cable, and connect it to the cable in the UDC. I can also use the barrel connector to add an extension, but none is required ninety percent of the time.

ncc1701e

Mine also rides in the basement attached to its mounting base, no box. When at a location without good regular TV or cable I mount it on the ladder. Power cable and coax along with a braded security cable travel on electrical cord real. Permanently dropped a hookup for the cable and 12v power directly under the UDC. Pretty much a plug and go 5 minute setup.

When we traded for our new Sundance it was an easy swap to the new coach.

Attachments

• Satelite Mount 1.jpg
    Satelite Mount 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Power Cable.jpg
    Power Cable.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Jan Flag and Dish Setup.jpg
    Jan Flag and Dish Setup.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 39

sledman78

Thanks for the info. Looking at buying additional coaxial cable (when we will be watching different channels that need different satellites). Too many available and am not electronics guru. Any suggestions for a 50 ft cable that is different from the basic?