My first Blowmax blowout: photo

wkcox

I have been paying particular attention to tire issues, and I need some additional information. What speeds do you normally travel, ambient temperature and normal trailer weight. If you could supply this information, I would be most appreciative. Thanks

BTY I have G614's that have near 20k miles that are getting less tread and I will be buying replacements next year-- that is why I am interesting experiences and data from the folks. Price is no object for me, but safety is...

The tires were all checked that morning at 80psi. The camper was lightly loaded, because it was only a 4 day trip. Remember that the Road Warrior 415 is triple axle, 18,000 pounds dry. I had the cruise control set at 65mph.

Jim.Allison

I would never discourage you from the G114 in favor of the G614. But if you have been being served by the G614, then you have a serious decision to make. But no matter what, the 17.5 inch rims open the whole world of favorable tires to you. The G114 being only one. There are many similar to the G114 but none of them are 75 MPH tires. Infact the Michelin is a 63 MPH tire which I find odd.

Yes I know about the stories, most people say that they were aired up and in good shape and they drove them at 65 mph and no more. I said it too. So I believe most of that, but in the end it is only anecdotal evidence. But when It comes to TowMax there is a LOT of anecdotal evidence.

The tires were all checked that morning at 80psi. The camper was lightly loaded, because it was only a 4 day trip. Remember that the Road Warrior 415 is triple axle, 18,000 pounds dry. I had the cruise control set at 65mph.

ultrafarmer

I have the same tires size as you. I just put on Lt 235/80r 16 and they work great. Just put 4000 mile on them. I am good for years. I used Bridgestone tires they were about 225 dollars put on.

Jim.Allison

That is why I have an onboard compressor in the basement. It will run off my inverter or the generator, I also keep a 50ft extension cord in case I have to find a 110 outlet at a convenience store. 35 psi is hard to find, 60 is harder, 80 is impossible and nobody ever heard of 110 -125.

Check out the Mitchlin XPS Ribs. You can use your existing wheels and 80 psi is a lot easier to maintain at a gas station than 110 psi

brianharrison

That is why I have an onboard compressor in the basement. It will run off my inverter or the generator, I also keep a 50ft extension cord in case I have to find a 110 outlet at a convenience store. 35 psi is hard to find, 60 is harder, 80 is impossible and nobody ever heard of 110 -125.

The Viair 12V portable compressors are a good alternative; the 300 series and above have a 150 psi max discharge. I chose the 450P for its 100% duty cycle (run continuous).

Brian

Jim.Allison

Yes it would be better to get DC power since I have solar and my batts are always up, but I paid about $129 at a famous lumber yard for this AC model. It also goes to 150 psi. I just cheaped out because I have a generator and an inverter, I was not sure my inverter would run it, but it does. One benefit is it has enough capacity to quickly run up lug nuts, thereby lowering the time on the side of the road if I need to change a tire. Anybody reading this should know that it takes quite a bit of volume to break lug nuts loose or run them up anywhere near their torque spec. So dont expect it even if you have a tank.

Last edited:

pegmikef

The Viair 12V portable compressors are a good alternative; the 300 series and above have a 150 psi max discharge. I chose the 450P for its 100% duty cycle (run continuous).

Brian

I have used the 450P for a year now and I know it fills my 614s from just under 100 psi to 110 psi in a minute or two. I have never had to fill a completely flat tire so I don't have a feel for how long that would take. Two things I have learned. 1) Run your truck when you are using it to top off tires. 2) If you have the 507 tpms flow through valves, you have to remove them because when the pump detects the back pressure it shuts down. I think it is probably one of the best investments I have made.

mobilcastle

Check out Sailon. The price is right and they are excellent tires. I run them on my rig - they have about 20K and look like new.

wkcox

Ordered Goodyear G614 tires yesterday, and surprisingly, none available in central Florida. They are coming from Arizona. My local Discount Tire store has given me excellent service over the years, so I wanted to give them the business. The salesman said they had many calls about them. I did not want to switch wheels, since my RW415 came with 6 nice aluminum wheels. Anybody else with trouble locating tires from local dealers?

ncrzrbk

We had our blowout Sunday on the Towmax. Installed Bridgestone Duravis R250 235/85/16. $225 each

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

glowery11

i arrived at my destination last week, and while setting up i saw that my tire was bulging on the sidewall. my 2013 trailer is out of warranty, but i contacted the powerking towmax factory reps in fl. they have prorated my tire and are sending me $96

danemayer

i arrived at my destination last week, and while setting up i saw that my tire was bulging on the sidewall. my 2013 trailer is out of warranty, but i contacted the powerking towmax factory reps in fl. they have prorated my tire and are sending me $96
Hi glowery11,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Glad you found the problem on your tire before it caused damage to the RV. It might be a good time to change out all the tires since whatever caused one to fail may cause others to do the same.

conradsteph

We had our first Towmax incident. I know this is really beating a dead horse but I was an non-believer in the Towmax hype. I also believed it was mostly related to dual axle and not triple axle coaches (some of the dual axle coaches seem as big and heavy as our triple axel). I've seen people trashing their RV's, driving them at ridiculous speeds, and never checking tire pressures before leaving campsites. We did the exact opposite. Checked pressures, drove 60-63, and our fifth wheel was out and about monthly (not 2 or 3 times a year). Sure enough, on our way from Phoenix to Houston 4 weeks ago, we pulled off at a rest stop and I saw a bubble on one of the tires. Pulled into Discount Tire in Albuquerque. Sure enough, one bubble and 3 tires with major thread separation including what's in the pic. 2014 Cyclone 3800 with tires constructed in 2/2013 and 3500 miles on them. We took possession of our coach in 5/2013 so it's not like those tires were sitting around very long. Went with Goodyear G614. Stock rims are rated at 110psi. Just glad we caught it early. Sorry new coach owners, I was hoping to give you the thumbs up on your stock tires but the "Blowmax" hype is for real.

photo.jpg

gtsum2

simply amazing the manufacturers just dont include premium tires for an upcharge. I am sure many would be more than happy to do it from the get go

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

We had our first Towmax incident. I know this is really beating a dead horse but I was an non-believer in the Towmax hype. I also believed it was mostly related to dual axle and not triple axle coaches (some of the dual axle coaches seem as big and heavy as our triple axel). I've seen people trashing their RV's, driving them at ridiculous speeds, and never checking tire pressures before leaving campsites. We did the exact opposite. Checked pressures, drove 60-63, and our fifth wheel was out and about monthly (not 2 or 3 times a year). Sure enough, on our way from Phoenix to Houston 4 weeks ago, we pulled off at a rest stop and I saw a bubble on one of the tires. Pulled into Discount Tire in Albuquerque. Sure enough, one bubble and 3 tires with major thread separation including what's in the pic. 2014 Cyclone 3800 with tires constructed in 2/2013 and 3500 miles on them. We took possession of our coach in 5/2013 so it's not like those tires were sitting around very long. Went with Goodyear G614. Stock rims are rated at 110psi. Just glad we caught it early. Sorry new coach owners, I was hoping to give you the thumbs up on your stock tires but the "Blowmax" hype is for real.

View attachment 30826

HI,
I am a newbie owner(3weeks) of a used 2012 Cyclone 3800. My wife and I recently returned from a 2 day initial checkout trip and this morning I picked up the unit from storage to take it to the dealer to have a couple of minor warranty issues checked. I was about 15 miles into the 20 mile trip when the back right tire blew. This is also a 3 axle unit like conradsteph's. I was traveling less than 65 and had tire pressures ranging from 74 -78 on the six tires. I asked the the roadside assistance guy if he thought it might be dry rot, but he said no it had no visible cracks in side wall or tread and that it looked like simple belt break. After arriving home and doing more research it looks like a commoe problem for TowMax tires. I have had a recommendation by an acquaintance to use Michelin but i am reading a lot of good things about Goodyear 614's. FYI at the time of this pop the unit was empty- no cargo, no clothes or food or fluids. Although I intend to haul my Harley as soon as i get more familiar with it.
Looks like i'll be buying 6-7 new tires asap.
Any suggestions for good tire deals in Central Florida or web would be appreciated.
Joe

Jim.Allison

With 6 wheels you have an advantage over those of us with 4 wheels. That having been said there are a range of LT tires in 16 inch that will give good service. The G614 will certainly give outstanding service. But you must check your wheels for the pressure and weight rating. IF it is approved for the G614 it will say 3750 @ 110 psi. This is critical. Running the G614 at 80 lbs pressure is a waste of time and money.

HI,
I am a newbie owner(3weeks) of a used 2012 Cyclone 3800. My wife and I recently returned from a 2 day initial checkout trip and this morning I picked up the unit from storage to take it to the dealer to have a couple of minor warranty issues checked. I was about 15 miles into the 20 mile trip when the back right tire blew. This is also a 3 axle unit like conradsteph's. I was traveling less than 65 and had tire pressures ranging from 74 -78 on the six tires. I asked the the roadside assistance guy if he thought it might be dry rot, but he said no it had no visible cracks in side wall or tread and that it looked like simple belt break. After arriving home and doing more research it looks like a commoe problem for TowMax tires. I have had a recommendation by an acquaintance to use Michelin but i am reading a lot of good things about Goodyear 614's. FYI at the time of this pop the unit was empty- no cargo, no clothes or food or fluids. Although I intend to haul my Harley as soon as i get more familiar with it.
Looks like i'll be buying 6-7 new tires asap.
Any suggestions for good tire deals in Central Florida or web would be appreciated.
Joe