New Owner Hitch Question?

Georgia_Biker

We just got our New Heartland Big Horn 3610RE. This is our first 5th wheel. . I am pulling with a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel and a 5th wheel slider hitch. As we started the tow home I noticed as we came to a stop and start at red lights and such there is a slight slack in the 5th wheel. You can feel the pin move maybe a 1/2 - 1" as you stop and start off - feels like slack. Is this normal? Is there adjustments I can do? What should I be looking for? - Thanks - Larry

circusbear

Hey there,
What kind of hitch do you have? My Reese slider used to do this. I switched to a Curt and the problem is gone. Kinda scrares you on startup huh??

hoefler

2 things, if it is a new hitch, it needs the initial adjustment for pin slop made or redone. Your brake controller needs to be set higher, your truck is most of the braking. When braking , the trailer brakes keep the trailer pulling back on the pin. When you take off again, there should be no movement in the pin. A slight movement is expected, and can seem like a mile of movement.

ncrzrbk

I have the same truck as you and use a pullrite superglide. There is an adjustment on mine to tighten it up for the slide rails. I haven't noticed mine doing what you mentioned. My camper is a little lighter than yours on my hitch is 18 k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gebills

Sounds like you need to sort out your problem, i.e. you need to know where your slack is coming from. You might get someone in the back seat and attempt to visually watch the hitch as you drive. You haven't stated what brand the hitch is. The range of issues are many; pin box problems/loose attachment bolts or issues with the pin itself, hitch jaw problems, slider rail (if you have a slider) problems, loose bolts on your hitch mount to the truck, yada, yada, yada. You need to do a little trouble-shooting first. Good Luck.

Georgia_Biker

Thanks for all of the replies - here is the full story - when we picked up our Big Horn at Camping World in Oakwood, GA - we went through the orientation, etc. then when it came time to hook up the Big Horn the Camping World Tech could not get the new CURT 5th wheel to slide - the arm handle was stuck. We worked on it for 30 minutes and by now it is raining and we have a 1 1/2 hour drive. They replaced it with a Reese slider 5th wheel. By now it is raining and after 5:00 PM - I wanted to get it home before dark in order to park it for the first time. Towing home I started noticing the slack and I stopped several times to check the hitch. The next day after I set the RV and pulled away from the Big Horn I found one of the pins for the base of the 5th wheels was out and also there is a locking pin where the saddle swivel is located in the middle was out. I feel that piece not being secured was allowing some slack - I'll know the next time I pull. I think Camping World was just in a hurry to get me on the road and of course I had gotten a little impatient myself - past that we love the Big Horn!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I had a slider hitch. From day 1 it had slack and would cluck starting and stopping. You dont need a slider with a HL trailer. When I bought the new truck, I removed the slider part from the hitch and installed the normal non-slider supports. Problem solved. Oh, yes check your brake controller setting.

Georgia_Biker

You know as I was putting together my package at Camping World the salesman and the service tech both said I needed a "slider" because I have a short bed (6 1/2 ft). I reiterated the HL sales feature of 88 degree turning but, they insisted I needed a slider. You are not the first person to tell me I don't need a slider. When my next door neighbor saw my rig he questioned the slider hitch - He has a HL Big Country - no slide - totally confused.

hoefler

You know as I was putting together my package at Camping World the salesman and the service tech both said I needed a "slider" because I have a short bed (6 1/2 ft). I reiterated the HL sales feature of 88 degree turning but, they insisted I needed a slider. You are not the first person to tell me I don't need a slider. When my next door neighbor saw my rig he questioned the slider hitch - He has a HL Big Country - no slide - totally confused.

That is Camping World for you. The more goodies the salesman can add on, the bigger commission he gets! Up sell! Up sell!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The non-slider supports cost about $90 and are easy the replace...they are a bolt on. Well at least on my Husky hitch. I would call CW and insist they replace your hitch with a non-slider.