New Trailer with possibly Non-working Dometic refrigerator.

Kaki5591

We just turned on our Dometic refrigerator in our brand new 2016 Heartland, North Trail 24bhs. This is our first trailer, first rv refrigerator. What should we expect? Is the refrigerator supposed to make noise when plugged in and turned on? Fan?

rxbristol

You might hear a fan if the top cooling fins are trying to dissipate excess heat, otherwise you won't hear anything unless you're using propane to run it. It will take about a day for the fridge to cool down, but you'll notice parts of the freezer walls getting cold within an hour. Turn to max cooling when you first turn it on and get a thermometer so you can see the exact temperature.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Plus make sure the trailer is close to being level or it won't get cold.

wdk450

I know it is a tedious chore, but (evidently) being new to RVing with a new rig, get out that blue zipper bag of manuals and start reading them all. ALWAYS feel free to post and ask questions here, though. Also know that most all of the manuals are posted online here - Just click the "Tools" tab at the top of the page, then the "Manuals" selection, and then on through the submenus to the manual you need.

Kaki5591

I know it is a tedious chore, but (evidently) being new to RVing with a new rig, get out that blue zipper bag of manuals and start reading them all. ALWAYS feel free to post and ask questions here, though. Also know that most all of the manuals are posted online here - Just click the "Tools" tab at the top of the page, then the "Manuals" selection, and then on through the submenus to the manual you need.
You are correct to guess that we are new to RVing with a new rig:) I read everything about the refrigerator, including the wiring diagrams and we checked the fuses. lol. It didn't say anything about how the refrigerator doesn't make compressor noise like my kitchen refrigerator. So I turned it on and waited 24 hours for it to silently get cold. This is so much fun! We are really looking forward to our first camping trip next weekend!!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Congratulations! Your bout with the fridge is just the beginning of making some great memories! Enjoy yourselves, be safe, and let us know if you have any issues or questions.

Sniper

You will notice the more food you have in the fridge the colder it will get. Good luck and enjoy your new North Trail. :)

caissiel

In 23 years of using a camper, the fridge has been a none event. It's on most of the time except when in storage. That's with both marks Norcold or Domestic.
Large units with ice makers are the trouble units, and I will never have or need one. Sometimes we have ours on propane for weeks at a time and never a problem. They are meant to be used. To me it's best to leave them on during the camping season.
I do have friends that try to economize by running them off and on and do experience difficulties.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk