not happy with 08 bighorn 3055rl

jane08

I fell in love with this 08 3055RL Bighorn 5th wheel so we bought it, but the first year we owned it we started having problems. The strings on the day/night shade broke, the one by the dining room table, Hartland sent us a new one because it was under warranty, and we can't get to the screws to replace it. The facact in the bathroom sink had to be replaced, and Hartland paid to that fixed. After the warranty stopped we kept having problems. The strings on other shades started to break, the shade behind the dining room table, also the bedroom shade, and the big one in the back window behind the chairs.
Also the kitchen facact broke and had to be replaced. The furnace has stop working. The outside shower head has broken off. What is next? Has anyone else had these problems?

Jane Evans

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jane, I'm really sorry to hear of your not being happy with your rig. I can't help but notice that you've been around awhile but haven't been posting much. Everything you have mentioned in this post has been talked about several times by our forum members. It also sounds as if Heartland has repaired or replaced these things until the point your warranty ran out. The shades really need to be adjusted properly to prevent them from breaking. The tension adjusters on the bottom of the strings can be loosened and turned to adjust the tension properly. Too tight and they will eventually break. Of course you know that. Too loose and they won't stay up. Find that sweet spot in the middle and they will last. Remember, string stretches. so they have to be re-adjusted from time to time. The screws can be hard to access but they can be reached.

Do a search on our forum using shades as the key word and read some of the discussions. Click Here for an example.

You mentioned the bath and kitchen faucets both broke? Define broke. Same with the outside shower head. Usually these things just don't "break". You might have low pressure at times due to different campgrounds water pressure or calcium deposits in the water supply can build up and restrict flow. But Break? How?

You really have to wonder what would happen to a house being pulled down our nations wonderful highway system. How long would it hold up?

Owning an RV is a learning process as well. We learn that when a shade breaks, we wonder why. Then we take action to prevent the others from breaking. These RV's need maintenance from time to time and repairs from time to time. This goes for ALL RV's, not just Heartlands.

Last edited:

wdk450

Jane:
Here is a link to a site with Day and Night RV shades parts and repair instructions: http://www.fixmyblinds.com/

I see you are in Indiana - RV heaven. There should be a lot of resources to help you with your furnace/plumbing problems.

Your furnace runs on 12 volts (check the fusepanel) and is controlled by the thermostat through a relay on a circuit board in the Air Conditioner. When you raise the thermostat setting to turn on the heat, do you hear a "Click" in the Air conditioner? This gives you an idea if the thermostat control wiring is working.

Good Luck and hang in there!!!

ChopperBill

Guess I dont understand why you are not happy with the "whole" trailer because of those problems. Only real problem to me would be the furnace. Same furnace probably most RV's use. I adjusted all our shades when we got it. The strings strummed like a banjo. Takes quit a while to adjust them all and I can see why the manufactures dont adjust them perfectly while it is on the line. But then I am kind of a tinkerer and sometime enjoy fine tuning the rig.

SilverRhino

It's unfortunate that you are unhappy with your unit. In all honesty......the majority of the things you mentioned are inconveniences that can be readily fixed or prevented altogether. Try not to let the small frustrations of owning an RV get you so down that you do not enjoy all the positive aspects.

Not trying to minimize your situation.....just another way of looking at it. Hope you get everything fixed so that you can enjoy your coach.

RollingHome

Jane, I feel for ya ! Not sure what's going on with your rig... But we had the same blinds and strings in our last unit (not HL) now this unit and we never had half the problems you're having. Our 2011 BH has the same string blinds and again, no problem. Then you had faucet problems, Wow we never had these either... I don't know what to suggest other then see your dealer. If you are out of warranty, why not change or fix them yourself ? It's all part of RV'ing and will get you closer to your rig. Consider it a learning experience and a challenge ! It really is not a big deal and something I know you can do yourself... Jane, sometimes RV's can be a PITA... Then again if you really want heartburn, buy a boat... Man I love my RV... Tom

ct0218

Owning an RV does require an ongoing maintenance program. All the little things that go wrong I just take care of myself, the coach has never been back to the dealer. To me it is a lot easier for me to do that than the hassle of hauling it back there. Like Tom, Bill, Randy and the rest said--yes, its a pain sometimes, but worth it.

boatdoc

Jane, I feel for ya ! Not sure what's going on with your rig... But we had the same blinds and strings in our last unit (not HL) now this unit and we never had half the problems you're having. Our 2011 BH has the same string blinds and again, no problem. Then you had faucet problems, Wow we never had these either... I don't know what to suggest other then see your dealer. If you are out of warranty, why not change or fix them yourself ? It's all part of RV'ing and will get you closer to your rig. Consider it a learning experience and a challenge ! It really is not a big deal and something I know you can do yourself... Jane, sometimes RV's can be a PITA... Then again if you really want heartburn, buy a boat... Man I love my RV... Tom

"Buy a boat" ain't that the truth. I've been curing peoples heartburn on boats for 32 years and they are WAY worse than the typical RV problems.