Opinions of K&N air filter

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I have a Duramax diesel and am thinking of putting an K&N air filter on it and was wondering if their worth the extra money and if they help with performance ????
chaseb

bill40

Hi All ! I have a Duramax diesel and am thinking of putting an K&N air filter on it and was wondering if their worth the extra money and if they help with performance ????
chaseb
BOY Chaseb you are going to get a lot of " expert " opinions on this topic both ways. All I can say is I have used them for many years and they have worked for me with out any problems and yes they appear to have improved the mpg. I have had them on everything from a motorhome to a Smart car. My Duramax has had one on it from the day I picked it up. Listen too all the post and the pros and cons then make up your mind.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I run an AFE but they are the same tech. Would not be without it. More airflow and you just wash it and recoil it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianharrison

K&N and other similar air filters typically use an oil wetted surface to improve air flow (increase air flow but similar filtering capabilities). They improve air flow if your engine requires the increased air. To me, increasing air flow capacity is only needed if the engine has been modified from stock (ie tune) and the exhaust has also been modified. The stock OEM filter is fine if no other modications are made.

That being said, if you add a Cold Air Intake (CAI) setup with the new filter, this does improve performance (ie the location where the air enters into the filter set up). The entering air is usually lower temperature compared to OEM setup.

One thing about the oiled filters - they need to be set up (proper oiling) and maintained (cleaned and re-oiled). There is also a newer dry flow filter that improves air flow as well.

I use S&B - they make an oiled and dry flow model --> S&B Performance Air Filters for Duramax

My thoughts.

Brian

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I put an AEF system on my 2008 and it caused the Mass Air Flow sensor to throw an error code. My wife also complained that the engine noise was louder, so I went back to stock. Keeping my 2012 that way. I have 400 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque. Don't have a need for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

K&N air filters, cold air intakes..big exhaust systems..if it was that easy to gain horsepower the manufacturers would do all of this from the factory..Don't waste your money on something that some believe might work..others do not. I'm sticking with the proven factory systems and keeping my warranty intact..Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Other than Timbrens and a larger fuel tank, my GMC remains stock. I tried a ScanGauge for a short time, but it didn't have all the algorithms needed to give read-outs any different than the DIC does. Sent it back.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
K&N air filters, cold air intakes..big exhaust systems..if it was that easy to gain horsepower the manufacturers would do all of this from the factory..Don't waste your money on something that some believe might work..others do not. I'm sticking with the proven factory systems and keeping my warranty intact..Don

Agree....K&N's let way too much dirt pass to take the risk. Filter oil can foul up the sensors, warrenties can be voided if used. If you must use a K&N I'd suggest using their pre-filter first.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
On the Duramax forum there is a ton of information on aftermarket add ons. I did some reading a couple of years ago and they supposedly had an independent test on air filters and flow and how each brand performed. It was determined that the factory Delco filter was the best bang for your buck. I also remember reading something about the possibility of using too much oil on K & N's causing potential issues.
HERE is a link to the discussion

tmcran

On the Duramax forum there is a ton of information on aftermarket add ons. I did some reading a couple of years ago and they supposedly had an independent test on air filters and flow and how each brand performed. It was determined that the factory Delco filter was the best bang for your buck. I also remember reading something about the possibility of using too much oil on K & N's causing potential issues.
HERE is a link to the discussion
This. K&N Waste of money. Really screws MAF sensors. The DMAX stock filters best you can get. IMO.

GOTTOYS

Interesting reading Ray. I bet there will still be those that don't agree even though this is very well supported with facts...I always like the claims some of these aftermarket outfits make of "UP TO XXX H.P. increase". They will never give a guaranteed number. To me that's all part of the smoke screen...Don

dave10a

chaseb

You ask an interesting question. When I owned a motorhome with a Cat engine, I asked Caterpillar what they thought about K&N air filters and the their response was that they would not recommend them because they did not filter the air to Caterpillar specifications and therefore their warranty would in question. So rather than argue with Caterpillar, I chose not to install the K&N filter and stuck with the paper filters which Caterpillar claims do a better job to keep the air to the engine cleaner. I figure Cat knew more than I when it comes to engines.

1231ChaseB

Hey everybody ! Thanks for the reply's ! I'm thinking that right now I'll be getting the old AC Delco filter ! LoL ! I'll wait a few more day's and see what else come's up on this thread !
chaseb
P.S. It's also good to see a somewhat new subject come up !

caissiel

It all depends on the air filter setup on the GM, The Donaldson air filter, if it's the OEM, is the best for our towing application. It holds a ton of dirt and never affect air flow till 500HP. A turbo charged truck for towing does not need additional filtering as we never revs enough for a filter system to inprove the power. They all affect air flow at 3000RPM and over.

I used K & N filters in all my previous trucks and the only one I felt improvement was on naturaly aspired diesels it greatly increased the low RPM torque but with a turbo, the air flow is measured and regulated anyway and not possible to increse it unless it starves at very high RPM. In my 98 GM the OEM air filter needed to be replaced almost at every oil change, so I used a K & N with great service for over 150K.

A safe programmer is the best investment to increase performance.

SilverRhino

You ask an interesting question. When I owned a motorhome with a Cat engine, I asked Caterpillar what they thought about K&N air filters and the their response was that they would not recommend them because they did not filter the air to Caterpillar specifications and therefore their warranty would in question. So rather than argue with Caterpillar, I chose not to install the K&N filter and stuck with the paper filters which Caterpillar claims do a better job to keep the air to the engine cleaner. I figure Cat knew more than I when it comes to engines.

Cummins had the same response. As Ray mentioned the testing for the Duramax it has also been done for for the Cummins.....The results were the same...use the recommended Fleet filter for the best results.

rick_debbie_gallant

The automotive industry spends what, billions on research, tweaking this and tuning that. If a better filter will be built I say leave it up to the people who make the engines, etc... I will stay stock.

RollingHome

I spent way too much money on a filter that was better... "proved by nascar racers" I also keep meticulous records. My records say I wasted my money. The stock filter did just as good, if not better. I have to agree with almost everybody that responded. The stock filter can't be beat. By the way my after market super duper filter also caused me a bit of a headache because it did not seal right and gave me engine warnings. I would suggest you not waste your $$$. I also want to thank you for posting this, it sure did get some honest feedback. I DID see an improvment by adding cetane booster from Walmart or Autozone to the tank... a much cheaper expenditure with much greater improvements then the super duper filter.

Happy RVing !

porthole

Retired
Been there done that.
K&N filters, do enough searching and you will find just as many negatives as positives.

Personal experience here, and I am a certified auto/diesel tech.

On our boat, I have K&N's protecting two 410 horsepower Detroit Diesels. Boats have relatively clean environments and some don't even use real filters, just screens. These are big filters, as the diesels draw a lot of air and they are way more expensive then automotive filters. So the re-useability factor is huge.

On my high end motorcycle I have a K&N filter, but that is mainly because the offerings from Harley are just plain junk.

A key point on both of the above is the lack of high tech sensors, in particular the "Mass Air Flow" or whatever it is called on your vehicle. Oil and sensors don't make good dance partners. So proper oiling of a K&N is very important. That is "just enough" of the correct oil to change the color of the material, not soak it.

Now, to your D-Max specific question. I drank the "Kool-Aid" and put an AFE intake with K&N on my 06 LBZ. Didn't really see any improvements and had no sensor issues or codes.
In prep for the big trailer I did a lot of changes. So I drank some more KA and ordered up a Banks tuner, turbo back exhaust and intake with the cold air intake option.

I saw no improvement in mileage or exhaust temps and had a noticeable drone at highway speeds. I did have some fun though on level 6.

I eventually did some research and found out that at least for the LBZ, there was no better intake and/or filter on the planet than what was on the truck as supplied by GM.

The factory intake flowed more air and had longer filter life then anything on the market. And it was easier to just swap it out when needed. In between changes, it was easy enough to just remove, knock any dirt dust off and re-install.

I'm with Rick and Tom on this, Keep the stock intake and air filter.

And NASCAR racers don't go to NAPA to buy the filters for their 850 HP hot rods, because they need filters that can flow the required air.
And I don't think there is a filter big enough to filter a 12,000 HP top fuel car :cool:

My point is, unless you are doing the whole high horsepower package (tuners and exhaust don't count) keep what has already been proven without hype

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I was a GM tech for 45 years. My thoughts are as above....if GM wanted those filters and add on junk, they would put them in at the assembly plant. The youngest son, being young and dumb....installed all the above stuff on his 06 D/M and had nothing but headaches and trouble and wasted alot of money. But in his defense, I was old and stupid and he was young and knew everything.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Been there done that.

In prep for the big trailer I did a lot of changes. So I drank some more KA and ordered up a Banks tuner, turbo back exhaust and intake with the cold air intake option.

I saw no improvement in mileage or exhaust temps and had a noticeable drone at highway speeds. I did have some fun though on level 6.

FWIW, I get about 1 1/2 to 2 MPG more with my Banks setup in economy mode, when running empty.

It came with a K&N type filter. I have never had to do anything with the filter after 40K miles.

I also have no exhaust drone.

Additionally, I also have more controllable power with a load. Trace