Outlets that work when not hooked up to shore power

kkeckley

We have a 2014 Cyclone 4100 King - are there any outlets that run from the battery that can be used when we are camping with no electricity or using the generator?
Thank you!

wdk450

If you have a factory supplied built in generator, or a portable generator plugged into the shorepower plug, you should have all normal AC power to all electrical devices when on generator power. Assuming you have the factory installed generator, are the circuit breakers ON the generator tripped?? If they are OK, there is a large relay box called a "transfer switch" which automatically switches the breaker box power source from the shorepower cord to the generator, when the generator is producing power. That could be defective.

Suggest you review: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/Electrical V2.pdf

david-steph2018

We have a 2014 Cyclone 4100 King - are there any outlets that run from the battery that can be used when we are camping with no electricity or using the generator?
Thank you!
To operate from the batteries, the answer would depend on if there is an "inverter" installed in the rig. The inverter takes the 12VDC from the batteries and inverters it to 120VAC. If no inverter is installed, then the answer is "no".
For the generator, as stated above, the generator will supply power to the rig.

Thystra

We have the residential fridge in our rig, it came with an inverter that powers it while driving. Other than that, none of the 110 outlets work without a generator or shore power.

If you had solar you could wire some to also work off the/an inverter.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Bogie

The very short answer is yes. But, it's a bit more complicated.

The ability of your inverter to power power more than your fridge depends on the number of watts the current inverter is capable of supplying minus the power required to run the fridge. Not likely that your inverter much bigger than what's needed to run that fridge. In addition, unless you have added additional batteries, your ability to supply power to that inverter is also limited. So it really depends on what AC appliances you want to operate (watts) and for how long.

By way of example, I have 4 solar panels on the roof, two 175 Amp Hour Lithium batteries and a 3 kilowatt inverter. Do not have a residential fridge however. With that setup, I have been out boondocking for 10 days at a time with no problems at all. In fact, I hardly ever run the generator any more in that situation.

As far as the wiring....It can be as simple as adding a additional single outlet to the existing fridge circuit, or as complicated as having a
(much larger) inverter run the whole RV. In either case, these changes should only be done by someone who is very familiar with electrical circuits and qualified install them properly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: