Please explain PDI

Saildogs

We are getting the new NT 24RBS on Saturday :) and need advice on what to look for in the PDI. This is only our second travel trailer so we are still novices at this. Thanks in advance!!

2010augusta

Here is a great list of PDI check list that have been compiled in the new Wiki

//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=PDI

It should get you what you need to look for.

GETnBYE

My advice is and I'm yelling this loudly: TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T SIGN A THING UNTIL YOU ARE SURE ALL IS FIXED.
Also, not yelling now: Make them plug it in and hook up a water line and just go area to area and check it out close, like you lost your contact lens and can't find it. Run lots of water, not just for a minute or so, for a long time, most leaks are slow. The shower will most likely need lots of water run down the sides of the glass to check the silicon caulking.
There are lots of lists on line that might help. If I find some I will revisit your post.
Take pencil and paper, write down anything you find and then go back and check it after they say they fixed it.
Take a cooler and a lunch and lawn chairs, when you get those out they know you are prepared to stay and wait till they get done. If that does not work, pack a suitcase and let them know you will get a hotel and come back tomorrow. They will try to say, "You may have to bring it back in to have "that" done, but most times that is not the case.
Good Luck
Nita

BruteForce

My advice is and I'm yelling this loudly: TAKE YOUR TIME AND DON'T SIGN A THING UNTIL YOU ARE SURE ALL IS FIXED.
Also, not yelling now: Make them plug it in and hook up a water line and just go area to area and check it out close, like you lost your contact lens and can't find it. Run lots of water, not just for a minute or so, for a long time, most leaks are slow. The shower will most likely need lots of water run down the sides of the glass to check the silicon caulking.
There are lots of lists on line that might help. If I find some I will revisit your post.
Take pencil and paper, write down anything you find and then go back and check it after they say they fixed it.
Take a cooler and a lunch and lawn chairs, when you get those out they know you are prepared to stay and wait till they get done. If that does not work, pack a suitcase and let them know you will get a hotel and come back tomorrow. They will try to say, "You may have to bring it back in to have "that" done, but most times that is not the case.
Good Luck
Nita

Very accurate description. I wish I knew what a PDI was before I took delivery. Since I *HAD* to pay somewhere around $900 for my PDI, I assumed the dealer went through some extensive inspection before I arrived. I was sorely mistaken. I apparently paid $900 so they could rush me through a walk through of the unit and send me packing. Even though I've now owned my RW395 since Jan, this one aspect of the transaction still irritates the heck out of me.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Once again, I'll put in a good word for General RV, Birch Run, MI. Nowhere, repeat, NOWHERE, on my invoice is anything that relates to a charge for dealer preparation or doing a PDI. They held the rig over the winter for us, added the things we asked them to, and when we did the inspection to take possession, they had it hooked to power and water and spent as long as I wanted going over everything. And the service tech that went through it with me fixed everything we AND he found before I finished signing the final paperwork. Taking it back later in the season for some warranty work and repair, everything was again, spot on. The only delay was to replace the dining table for the damage that he saw before I did. When they had it, we stopped in on our way by, got the new one in and continued on.

A dealer that wants to charge you $900 to see if the plumbing doesn't burst is ripping you off.

I'll get off the soapbox, now.

Saildogs

Thanks to all of you! We will print out the checklist and take it with us on Saturday. The dealer where we are buying the NT also serviced our first travel trailer and did an excellent job so we're hoping this goes as well.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I for one believe you should not have to pay for a PDI or walkthrough inspection of your RV. If a dealer charges you for it IMHO, they are ripping you off.

vangoes

When I went to pick my rig up the dealer had it completely prepped with water in the tanks, frig on with ice made in ice maker, furnace running etc......you get the picture. All systems had already been checked out and still in operation for us to observe. Great prep work by dealer which led to a very short PDI by us. This is what I expect in the purchase pricing. Any dealer that would try to tack on a charge for dealer prep above the agreed purchase price would result in me walking out the door...........no deal!!!!!