Pleased with winter performance of our MR

G_Hage

Got to see first hand how our 2008 Mount Rushmore performs in extended periods of below freezing temps with hard freeze warnings of 9-11 hours here just north of Ocala, FL the last two nights.

I can happily say we are pleased and impressed. Our Landmark may not have come with the R-ratings of the more expensive fivers we originally looked into purchasing, but the double paned windows (which I've learned the original owners had installed at Heartland to replace the original single pane windows) did their job! The fireplace in the living room and heat pump in the bedroom kept us comfortable down to near freezing temps. Once at freezing and below we switched over to furnace only to also provide heat to the basement area. The furnace was able to cycle on and off down the low 20s where it then ran constantly for the 2-3 hours at that point until the temps came back up closer to freezing. That was with it set at 72 degrees.

Would that sound about the norm in this case?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hard to say what's normal. We've been in the low 20's before but have disconnected and drained the fresh water hose from the spigot to the rig and run off of the fresh water tank. We set the T'stat at 65 and use a small portable electric heater. Never had any freezing issues. One time we were in the low teens and had freezing problems with the line from the fresh tank to the pump. We had to use the winterizing hose off of the pump into a 5 gallon bucket of water. Thankfully we were able to shower at the park facilities. This was only one instance when we returned to WI too early.
Otherwise, I agree, these trailer do well in cold weather. The dual pane windows make a difference as well.
You should stop by Williston and get to know a few Heartland Owners at the Rally next month.