Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Using the Level up is nothing like the old style of driving up on blocks or boards. We are having some problems right now but I expect it to all be repaired soon. I will never go back!

wdk450

A group of us were sitting outside next to John Dawson's Landmark today at a get together in Giloy, Ca., and were hearing occasional popping from his rig. NOW we know what that is!

DougS

Doug S
Hi all, I have tried several things to eliminate the popping sound and have found those plastic waffle type squares from CW work best, waffle side always up. I also use a piece of same size plywood under them to try and protect the plastic from stones. At home on concrete, I use the plastic only on the front landing gear, backs are not done, all is quiet. Once in a while I put the leg down behind the rear wheel just on wood, and the popping begins from those legs only. On my unit at least, the waffle type of pad seems to work.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I thought one of the benfit of haveing level up was not having to haul all that lumber and having to do any blocking thats like going back to the old way of leveling only now it cost 2-4000 dallors more

the point of the leveling system is to not have to DRIVE up on blocks to level side to side. Unfortunately sometimes sites are more unlevel than we'd like, and the pistons on the systems are only so long. You still sometimes need to put blocks under the leveling legs to give them more "stroke" distance. In our case we have to use blocks because, being the first retro-fit, they didn't put any slant on our legs when they mounted them, and they mounted them a little too high on the frame. If they were mounted lower they would not extend as much as they do, even on relatively level surfaces, and we might not need the blocking to "quiet" the popping. Trust me, we can easily live with having to drop a few blocks under the legs and then hit the button and walk away...JMHO. WAY too many years of dealing the with old way...we'll never be without Level-Up again, even if we still need to carry a few blocks...

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We started having popping issues shortly after the first of this year - never anything before that. Occasionally through out the day we'd get the popping. We were on a gravel pad with plastic jack pads under all 4 jacks and chock blocks. Temps were from the low 40s to low 80s.

Then on April 21st we moved about 100 miles south and were on a concrete pad with no jack pads or chock blocks. We were there for 5 nights. The popping was so bad that I could actually feel it and it was happening about every 15 minutes or so. Temps ranged from 50s - low 80s.

Strangely enough Wednesday April 25th was the last time I have had any popping. Can't say that it's gone for good - but strange that it just stopped.

On April 26th we moved another 150+ miles south and were on an asphalt pad with no jack pads or chock blocks. We were there 3 nights. No popping noise. Temps ranged from low 60s to mid 80s.

We have been back at our home base since April 29 (8 nights). We are a gravel pad with 4 jack pads and chock blocks. No popping noise. Temps have ranged from low 60s to low 90s.

Sure hope someone can figure this out...cuz I sure can't!

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
I am not experienced; no level up, but wondering if there might have been some air in the hydrallic lines that was working it's way around and out.

kakampers

I will say that our "popping" has always been worse when on concrete. Especially our on lot(s) down in Mission. When we moved off it after six months, and set down in Hill country for a couple nights on gravel, didn't use any blocking and about went out of our minds with the popping. Have moved twice since, once on concrete, now on gravel...have blocked as stated earlier both times and it hasn't made a sound....I'll keep putting the blocks under it. Really believe it has to do with shortening the stroke by using a SOLID block so nothing slips. For us it works every single time...

KiwiRVer

Call Lippert and ask to talk to Bob Tiedge. He invented the system and is far better to deal with than their customer service reps. We spoke to Bob and got fantastic service. He arranged to have all 6 jacks replaced on our new Big Country and now silence is bliss. There is an extensive thread on this somewhere on the forum.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Call Lippert and ask to talk to Bob Tiedge. He invented the system and is far better to deal with than their customer service reps. We spoke to Bob and got fantastic service. He arranged to have all 6 jacks replaced on our new Big Country and now silence is bliss. There is an extensive thread on this somewhere on the forum.

I know Lippert and Bob Tiedge are working on this. After a few emails with Bob, I have decided not to have my front jacks replaced and wait for them to finish their testing.
I just recently spent a lot of time in my basement and had an opportunity to make some notes on the popping noise.
At least on my trailer, it is directly related to sun light with the jacks acting as a heat sink.
I recorded the temperatures of the jacks and foot pad and sent them to Bob also. I can even make it stop "popping' by protecting the front jacks from the sun light.
I have no idea where they stand or what they will come up with. After reading several threads on this it almost sounds like maybe several different issues causing the same problem???

kakampers

That could be...I do know when I don't use blocks and it starts popping, it gets worse as the temps rise....who knows what they'll discover.

Last edited:

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
had mine installed a week ago and lippert told me they had the popping problem solved not to weary quess what?

marvmarcy

It has been cloudy and cooler here for several days and the popping has stopped. It is supposed to warm up next week so we'll see if the popping starts again. The Colorado high country sun is intense and certainly heats exposed jacks quickly.

jayc

Is anyone keeping records on their popping noise? If so and you haven't sent the info in yet, I would be glad to compile the information and forward it. I'm not sure if Lippert monitors this forum.

If you think this would help us, please forward any information to me at jcoffman1@gmail.com and I'll make sure they get it.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Hey Jay - I compiled some stuff for Jim at the AL/MS rally and he sent it on to someone...not sure who though. Have to say that I've had a few 'pops' the last couple of days....much quieter than they had been and only a couple of times.

donr827

We are on our first trip with our 3055 RL with the six point leveling system. I have had some of the popping noise but not a big problem yet. Will start writing down my observations and let you know. Since there seems to be quite a few owners with this problem maybe Heartland will get with Lippert and let us know what the problem is and a fix for the problem.
Don

jayc

Thanks to all. I'm planning to put it all together into one document and send it in to Lippert.

Well I got the Landmark Mobile Alamo delivered and set up in a nice Rv park yesterday I am going to stay in it this week and get a feel for things. Lastnight was the first time and we did pretty well. However as the sun rose this morning and things warmed up here came the popping. I was sure hoping I would be lucky and not have to deal with it. Mine seemed to be the front leg on the sunny side. (DOOR SIDE) I think I will go buy a 6x6 and put it under each foot. If that helps then I'm happy. Best to all,
Nathan

donr827

It would be nice if Heartland would respond to this thread and give us some information as to why and how to fix it.
Don

jayc

Donr, Heartland may give a response but Lippert is working on the problem. I, as well as others, have been in contact with Bob Tiedge, inventor of the Level Up system and he has assurred us that he is working on the problem.