Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

Hi All, Wanted to let you know that I spoke to Lippert here at the Florida RV SuperShow in Tampa about the popping issue. They continue to test this and listen to RVers to collect as much data as they can to arrive at a solution. They asked me to ask those having this popping issue to call Lippert to have a case opened. Premise being that at such time they have the root cause determined and a solution available, that they have a database of those to contact back to effect a solution. So - this is all I know and all I can tell you. If you have this popping in your hydraulic leveling system, get hold of Lippert. If you're looking for a permanent solution from Lippert today, they don't have one. Thanks, Jim

Thanks, Jim for addressing the issue with Lippert and for letting us know the proper procedure. Looks like we'll be opening a case. I was sure hoping for better news. Kathy
P.S. Just curious, does your 2013 have this same issue?

mobilcastle

I don't have the lift system. I think it is too bad there are some gliches with it as it seems to me to be a great system.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't have the lift system. I think it is too bad there are some gliches with it as it seems to me to be a great system.

It is a great system, and I am glad I have it. Even with the popping, I am happy with it. I would buy another if I purchase a new rig.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree, the system is great and easy to use. We do experience the popping from time to time but as long as unit remains level and secure I don't see and issue. However I will call and register with Lippert for any future issues that may arise. Never own a unit again without level up.

We just got our 2013 HL big country about a month ago and have experienced the popped noise (we have the 6 point leveling system) As with others we usually experience the popping noise in the morning and at night when the temperature changes. I would guess its from metal expanding. I really hope they come up with a solution to the problem more of an annoyance than anything.

DonMac

OK..so here is my deal on the popping jacks. Our rig is going on a year old. We are 16 years full timers. I suppose that if you are just camping for a few weeks the popping will not bother one. However on a fulltime basis I can tell you that it becomes a problem. It is temp change and as we have been in Arizona for the winter and the temps vary every day/night the popping can wake one up more that a few times a night. So far I have tried everything. Blocks to shorten the piston stroke,wood,ect. The jacks are are now on 4" tall concrete pads with non skid rubber between the foot and the block. It still popps like crazy. Numerous times at night as the temp changes and the same in the morning. I have talked to Lippert and no fix as yet. No fix after years is strange to me. However the popping continues as I write. As for me I would rather have the electric system and have to level it myself so I could sleep through the night. Hopefully when it stays hot the popping will stop. We will see.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hopefully, since Lippert is aware of the problem, when they do find a cure, it will be offered to everyone. Even those out of warranty.
Here in FL, we haven't seen any temperature extremes all season. The lowest it's gotten this winter is the low 40's. We haven't had any popping at all. We're leaving this Wednesday so we'll see what happens as we get further north.

When I get home, I'm going to experiment by building blocks for the front pads that match the outward angle of the legs.

RB2012

Just to add my 2 cents I too am in Florida and my 2012 big horn popped for 6 weeks the camper next to me had a brand new infinity (Dutchmen) absolutely gorgeous and just his just started popping as we were leaving. We have been on our new site for 2 days now and no pop as of yet we are still in florida, will see what happens RB2012

No popping anymore on our Big Country. We just use some cheap rachet adjustable automotive jack stands under the frame next to the landing jacks. Set them in place, rachet them up and retract the landing jacks. Takes only a minute. Sleep peacefully.

2011 Big Horn 3610RE, six point leveling system. Spend 6 months in Florida and traveled from West coast to East coast from Michigan to Texas. Never have had any popping sounds. Don't see why my RV should be any different than others, guess I am just lucky.

DonMac

I met two couples that had just purchased their rigs. One a month ago and one a couple of months ago. They were in the same area of AZ as myself and they had no popping at all. Ther rigs were pretty much empty as they were snow birds and not full timers as ourselves. Our rig is loaded with all our living items. It made me wonder about the weight on the jacks. Could more weight cause them to pop more and less weight pops less? I know thwy should not pop at all but ours are very bad every morning and night. They are on concrete blocks so the pistons are at a short stroke. I am going to put some wood between the foot pads and the concrete blocks and see what happens.

ParkIt

I met two couples that had just purchased their rigs. One a month ago and one a couple of months ago. They were in the same area of AZ as myself and they had no popping at all. Ther rigs were pretty much empty as they were snow birds and not full timers as ourselves. Our rig is loaded with all our living items. It made me wonder about the weight on the jacks. Could more weight cause them to pop more and less weight pops less? I know thwy should not pop at all but ours are very bad every morning and night. They are on concrete blocks so the pistons are at a short stroke. I am going to put some wood between the foot pads and the concrete blocks and see what happens.
Didn't see this thread until now and had to think back on when I've heard the most and least popping.
When we had it loaded on gravel with a tripod, wood blocks under the front legs and tires on 2x8 wood pads we had the least amount of popping with a wide gap in temperature from day to night.
If we have it unloaded (for the most part) at the house on a packed surface (not concrete) without the wood blocks under the pistons, it pops more with the slides out and less with them in. When DH got sick I slept out there and noticed it didn't make a sound with the slides in...the bedroom was about 6" out. I got curious and opened up the slides and sure enough, it pops in the evening when it cools down and morning when it warms up.

My theory is weight distribution combined with temperature: if all the slides are in the weight is evenly distributed, when out its unevenly distributed. This would put more stress on the legs and cause them to 'move' more with temperature fluctuations and cause popping sounds. The sound can be amplified by the surface its on: concrete doesn't have any 'give', gravel does so I'm thinking it would make more noise on a hard surface vs a soft one.
I also notice more popping with the tripod than without it though it almost eliminates side to side movement when moving about inside. Again, the front isn't as heavy as the back where the larger slides are and more weight is uneven across a wider span.
Then I got to thinking about other full timers who had decks and stairs built off the entry door and larger slide even though they weren't there year round - they didn't have popping sound issues even on concrete pads and one with a too short pad that used concrete pier pads under the back stabilizers (angled). Looking under their units two things are noticeable: where the deck and stairs are they put additional wood on concrete pillars under the unit and they also had partial skirting around the side and back which acted like a shield on the tires and stabilizers. I'm assuming that would reduce the popping sound since they added more support mid to tail of the unit and reduced the temperature hits from partial skirting. They told me they always keep the tires covered even if its for a short stay and only notice occasional popping with higher to lower temperatures in a day.

Since we are moving our unit to the same park they are at I'm thinking of getting slide supports for the living/dining (entry side) slide out and the larger entertainment unit directly across from it...seems like it would reduce any slide creeping/tilting plus reduce side to side movement when moving around inside and the popping as well. We'll be on packed gravel so I'll use my wood blocks as I did before and we are looking into a hydraulic pin stand as opposed to the tripod we have now. This should help with weight distribution and hopefully temperature changes too, it will be about a month before we know so I may check back to see if that eliminates the popping.

One thing I learned long ago is if you are stationary for longer than 2 weeks, put wood under the tires if you are on concrete. The rubber will leech into the concrete (take a look at your carport or pad where you park anything for a long time - you can see exactly where the tires were resting) but they won't leech with wood under them and give you a bit more tire life.

Add 2¢ more to this topic from me...

KiwiRVer

After suffering this problem for our six months on the road last year we put the rig into storage over winter and lifted it up so that wheels were off the ground and the rig was level. On return after 6 months the rig had dropped a few 10ths of a degree and a couple of wheels were touching the ground (although with no weight on them.) The idea was to see if hydraulic pressure was a factor. It seems it was not. As many have experienced and as I have proven to my own satisfaction the problem is caused by temperature change and having recommenced our annual travels a couple of weeks ago with some quite extreme temperature changes overnight and during the day the problem is as bad as ever.

I suggested a solution to Bob Giese last year and for a time it seemed they were going to test it but they then went very quiet on us and would not return phone messages or emails. My observation is that the pop is actually metal on metal movement between the base plate and the piston. I suggested putting a very high density rubber washer between the two and I am convinced this will go a long way to solving the problem. Why they will not even test this is beyond me. I have volunteered to be a guinea pig but.....?

Planning on calling them after Easter on a couple of issues and will see where we are then.

Craig

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
What kills me, is they keep installing this system with out the problem being solved. They probably figure hay its not life threating lets keep making money

DonMac

I thought the same thing about the piston and the base plate so I raised them up and put a heavy duty grease on the foot/base plate. It made no difference at all. Ours is worse than ever as the temps vary as we are in the desert I did notice as we went to hitch up that when we raised the front jacks the rig slipped back some and the jacks moved. We did not have the wheels chauked. So now we will chauke the tires to see if the popping is less. Perhaps ther was torque on the jacks as the rig and not the jacks had moved back just a little. It is very strange to say the least that this problem has not been addressed. But just think of the cost to Lippert to fix the problem on all the rigs out there. It surley is noticed when you are a full timer.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
OK, I know this has been a sleeping topic but I need to wake the sleeping giant. We have a new 2013 Key Largo, presently parked on our PA property which has a gravel pad and I place 12x12 wooden pads under the giant round land pods, as I call them. The popping noise is there and is frequent especially during the mornings and evening, thus confirming to me it has to do with temperature change as noted in previous post. So I called HL service to inquire and they stated to me it is caused by air in the lines and it was up to me to re-level the rig if it should lose its auto level setting. OK, now if this is the reason how long should if keeping popping and should not the air in the lines ultimately be purged? Once again sorry to beat an old horse but looking for new fresh input. Be they way has anyone's popping corrected itself as of recently?:confused:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Just curious... There are other manufacturers out there like "Bigfoot", do they have the same issues? And if not, what is the difference in the products? Seems like there is a reason and thus a solution. I have a new Bighorn on order with the 6 pt leveling and hope I don't have to deal with this. I'll be watching this thread to see if there is any progress, and I will report back once we have the trailer and some experience.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have friends who had a Teton with bigfoot...it popped too, just not as bad as our Bighorn. We solved the problem on the Bighorn, which was a retrofit, by using 4x4 blocks on the side which had the longest stroke...stopped popping immediately.

Have not experienced it at all on the Landmark, regardless of the temperature or site conditions. However, we still block the low side to shorten the stroke of the pistons.