Project LM 365

ksucats

A concern I have with the valve at the end of the run is its freezing in the shut position (Had it happen twice on my last coach). Given that our coaches have such a long run of tubing running outside the belly I worry that my LM would freeze even worse than my SOB. Would make for a real unpleasant situation if one can not dump the tanks when needed. That said, I am looking at adding the twist on for now - I also get a small amount of waste water that comes out when opening that end cap. Luckily just gray water so far.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Regardless of type, IF it would freeze shut, pour a pan of nearly boiling water over it!
Did that dozens of times as a kid when watering bowls froze up in the barn where a flame is a no-no!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nbomar

Where did you get the ladder storage cabinet? That looks like a great addition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That is a custom box I had made and a BAL Tire carrier that I purchased from Camping World.You can look at my post #25 (https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=438978&viewfull=1#post438978) I can give you more info if you want it.

I designed the box to push up ageist the belly pan to keep the rain and dirt out, think it's 9" tall. It's not sealed but i think its working well. I also used 18 gauge sheet metal, you could go a little lighter. After I picked the box up from the A/C shop I dropped it off at my powder coating guy to have it painted black. I think it looks real good under there. Jim B. suggested having it Rhino Lined which is a good idea too. After I received the new tire carrier from CW I just had to weld 1 cross brace to mount the box to and drill a few holes. You'll want to mount it up under the coach as far forward as possible so you don't drag it.
The cost was
Box $130
Powder coat $100
Tire carrier $90

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I had the same problem on the same slide of my Landmark, I solved the problem by installing a Dometic Cradle Support for Slide Toppers. I ordered it from www.makariosrv.com it is available in black, white and silver. The cost is $81.77. It is an easy install, once installed there is nothing to on and take off the slide roof after the slide is opened and before the slide is closed.

Terry H

Staff member
Yes, it does about 90% reduction. To determine if you will have similar results, measure the distance the slide awning roller is from the slide wall at each end of the slide awning while the slide is open. Then measure the distance from the slide awning roller to the slide wall in the center of the awning. You will probably find that the awning is closer to the slide wall in the center of the awning. The greater the difference in measurement between the center and ends, the better results. The tighter the awning fabric, the less puddling on the awning. I have used the slide awning cradles on both Landmarks I have owned and have been very pleased with the results.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I actually have one in the box, that the dealer tried to install on my big slide. They said it didn't work and kept popping out of the cradle. Not sure how that could happen. When I had the body work done and the slides painted they patched and painted the holes and I've been afraid to reinstall it myself.
I can prop up the center of the topper to see if it drains off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Terry H

Staff member
It is possible the dealer did not install it correctly. There should be a awning slide cradle on the off door awning slide look at it and just copy the way it is installed. I have never had a problem with any of the awning slide cradles.

Bones

Can you leave them on the slide when you bring it in? I have a lot of water pool on my large slide. What do your look like Terry?

danemayer

I have an issue with my curb side slide topper holding rain water.

Jerrod,

Another possibility is that the topper is not wound up enough. One more rotation of the roller, against the spring, before installing the topper material, will result in more tension that could solve your problem. It's not to hard to do if you have 2 people on ladders. There's one or two screws holding the spline on the coach side that have to come out, and once completely unrolled, you have to pin the roller while removing the material. Then after adding one more turn of the roller, you very carefully put the material back in place. You might have to drill new holes for the anti-flap device. Altogether maybe takes an hour.

BUT, if you wind the roller too tight, the spring is powerful enough to tilt the slide room as it comes in. One turn shouldn't be a problem. Two might be.

Here's a DIY video.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Dan as I was reading your post on how to do it I came up with an easier and safer way.
You could put the slide out maybe half ways put the pin in it, then pull the slid in to give you plenty of slack to unscrew the tension end and rotate the whole thing once and reinstall. One guy could do it safely.
I have wanted the support cradles on there from the get go because they both sag so much and its worse going down the road. So I think I will do both.. Thanks for suggestion

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I definitely have a tention issue I don't think the kid that installed them knew what he was doing.
b6f9630ee04d1e65c09aaa49e6df924e.jpg

danemayer

Dan as I was reading your post on how to do it I came up with an easier and safer way.
You could put the slide out maybe half ways put the pin in it, then pull the slid in to give you plenty of slack to unscrew the tension end and rotate the whole thing once and reinstall. One guy could do it safely.
I have wanted the support cradles on there from the get go because they both sag so much and its worse going down the road. So I think I will do both.. Thanks for suggestion

There are some videos of that approach as an alternative. I didn't want to dismount the roller - probably my irrational concern that screws would shear or some other unpleasant outcome would occur.

Terry H

Staff member
Jerrod, When I looked at one of the pictures in post 367 it appears that the dealer mounted the awning slide on the door side about 3 to 4 inches high, that might be why the cradle would not work. The cradles work best if the top of the roller and fabric clears the the top of the slide trim about 1 to 2 inches, any higher than that will probably create slide cradle mounting problems. The cradle needs to be mounted at the bottom edge of the 4 inch slide trim. The photo in post 396 it does appear that there the fabric needs to be tensioned tighter.

Jerrod and Dave, Here is a link to pictures of the slide cradle on and off the trailer.

Dave, The slide cradles mount permanently with 4 screws.

Last edited:

Bones

Jerrod, When I looked at one of the pictures in post 367 it appears that the dealer mounted the awning slide on the door side about 3 to 4 inches high, that might be why the cradle would not work. The cradles work best if the top of the roller and fabric clears the the top of the slide trim about 1 to 2 inches, any higher than that will probably create slide cradle mounting problems. The cradle needs to be mounted at the bottom edge of the 4 inch slide trim. The photo in post 396 it does appear that there the fabric needs to be tensioned tighter.

Jerrod and Dave, Here is a link to pictures of the slide cradle on and off the trailer.

Dave, The slide cradles mount permanently with 4 screws.
Thanks. I wonder if it would help my slide?