Rack, Carrier for rear of Bighorn

Oregon_Camper

I would go with an Idaho tote if that is legal in your home state. It is not in Oregon. The other option is a front receiver on the TV.

LOL....I already have a hitch on the front of the truck...that is where I carry my wife's WR250 motorcycle. Zoom Zoom.....:)

BigGuy82

The structure is not built to support any weight on the back end. That is why Heartland offered 1.5" hitch for a bike carrier. They failed and a lot of people found their bikes and racks ground into the pavement. Anything else will void the warranty. Lippert frame is not an I-Beam in the rear, but a C channel. This did not stop some from bolting or welding on 2" hitches and proper bile carriers. But carrying two bicycles is a lot different than a motorcycle. It would most likely put you well over your GAWR for your fifth wheel.

I just ordered the "bike carrier hitch" with 1 1/4" receiver from Heartland through my dealer and I intend to carry 2 bikes on it with an appropriate rack, so I'm confused about your statement. The frame on my Bighorn 3010RE has two c-channel brackets welded to it with holes for bolting on the bike hitch. The hitch is built and sold by Heartland through their authorized dealers. So I'd be interested in where you got your info that a lot of people experienced hitch failure.

I'd also love to hear from forum members who have had experience with this setup.

mlpeloquin

I just ordered the "bike carrier hitch" with 1 1/4" receiver from Heartland through my dealer and I intend to carry 2 bikes on it with an appropriate rack, so I'm confused about your statement. The frame on my Bighorn 3010RE has two c-channel brackets welded to it with holes for bolting on the bike hitch. The hitch is built and sold by Heartland through their authorized dealers. So I'd be interested in where you got your info that a lot of people experienced hitch failure.

I'd also love to hear from forum members who have had experience with this setup.

The 1 1/4" hitch is not strong enough to carry one bike let alone two. Perhaps others who lost bikes because of that hitch can chime in. It will fail. Not if or maybe, but will fail, and you will be dragging you bikes behind grinding them into the pavement. I was advised by my dealer not to purchase it. They actually had two in stock and would not sell them do to the failures unless you wanted to insist on it.

danemayer

Best I can recall, over the past 6 years there have been a number (10? 15?) of people who have posted first hand experience with their bikes bouncing a lot, who on testing their 1-1/4" receiver hitches found they seemed very flimsy.

I haven't kept count, but I think several people actually reported that they personally lost bikes from these hitches. I put more weight on first hand experiences than on stories about other people.

So there's a prevailing opinion that the 1-1/4" receiver hitch is not strong enough to carry bikes.

As with many issues, a relatively small number of problems can be magnified by the number of posts discussing a few failures.

That all said, bikes on bike racks do bounce and put a lot of stress on any receiver hitch. The 1-1/2" receiver hitch just isn't very strong. Some have failed and bikes have been lost.

And at least one owner's 2" custom receiver hitch has failed and the bikes were almost lost. There's a lot of stress.

I have a 1-1/2" and have not yet lost my bikes, but I also have them tied up to the ladder with bungee cords to minimize movement. And I'm thinking about moving to a 2" receiver.

So, you pay your money and you take your chances.

BigGuy82

The 1 1/4" hitch is not strong enough to carry one bike let alone two. Perhaps others who lost bikes because of that hitch can chime in. It will fail. Not if or maybe, but will fail, and you will be dragging you bikes behind grinding them into the pavement. I was advised by my dealer not to purchase it. They actually had two in stock and would not sell them do to the failures unless you wanted to insist on it.

I'm sure your dealer told you that, but it's still "hearsay". I carried two bikes on a 1 1/4" car hitch for years and never had a problem, so unless the receiver assembly is inherently weak, I don't see an issue. Yes, I know that a fiver has a lot more bounce going on back there but a 1 1/4" receiver is not flimsy by any means when you consider the bikes probably weigh 60 lbs for two and the rack weighs 27 lbs (87 lbs total). Also, the steel C channel frame brackets seem to be sturdy also.

Is there anyone out there who has actually experienced a failure of this configuration - Heartland bicycle receiver bolted onto factory frame mounts with a 1 1/4" bicycle carrier with two adult bikes attached? I also sent a note off to my dealer and Heartland to see if I can get an accurate read on this.

Again, you may be right, but I want to perform due diligence on this because I'll be ****** if I'll hang bikes off a ladder or stack them on my mattress. If this solution doesn't work, we'll be walking more ...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Rear bounce on a trailer is far more pronounced than on a truck or car. I just followed my husband towing for 3.5 hours on interstate 20. I watched numerous times where the back end seemed to dramatically bounce, only to go over the same spot with the car with little impact. We have a desk in a slide near the rear of the rig that is bolted down to the floor, but the drawers still like to bounce and slide out. Even when taped closed with blue tape! I've decided not to carry bikes on the rear of the rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I found an use for the small OEM receiver. Chris

I love that idea - great way to dual task. Did you build that rack? If not, will it work with any grill or just that model?

Also, I used to go the 20 lb tank route but it just got to be a hassle. Now I use the "fat bottles" and they seem to go a long way. More expensive but lots more convenient.

It's still impossible for me to tell how sturdy that receiver is but I'm guessing you're not hauling bikes.

Still waiting for someone who has hauled bikes with success (or failure). If not, I get to be the guinea pig ...

SNOKING

Nexgrill. Welding shop on old highway in Apache Junction made the insert rack. It is bolted together so it can be stored for travel. Chris

caissiel

It's not the small receiver that is the problem but the frame that the receiver is attached to. The receiver would work for straight tow but apply a weight and it will bounce. I fabricated one that is solid and my bikes are just held in place with 2 small loop bungee. The unit that is sold by Lippert is a disaster. I am a retired engineer and it's a shame to see stuff like that sold, just like the 5th wheel front frame made so thin that welds brakes.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

It's not the small receiver that is the problem but the frame that the receiver is attached to. The receiver would work for straight tow but apply a weight and it will bounce. I fabricated one that is solid and my bikes are just held in place with 2 small loop bungee. The unit that is sold by Lippert is a disaster. I am a retired engineer and it's a shame to see stuff like that sold, just like the 5th wheel front frame made so thin that welds brakes.

Got a picture of yours? I can weld.

Also, can you shed more light on the front frame issue?

SNOKING

I love that idea - great way to dual task. Did you build that rack? If not, will it work with any grill or just that model?

Also, I used to go the 20 lb tank route but it just got to be a hassle. Now I use the "fat bottles" and they seem to go a long way. More expensive but lots more convenient.

It's still impossible for me to tell how sturdy that receiver is but I'm guessing you're not hauling bikes.

Still waiting for someone who has hauled bikes with success (or failure). If not, I get to be the guinea pig ...

That is a 8 lb tank/bottle (2 gallon). Welding shop made that rack to my dimension/BBQ. Cross pieces bolt to 4' angle irons the receiver insert tube, and can be taken apart for storage while traveling. I did not even bother to drill a pin hole in the insert. Side tables are cutting boards from WM. Chris

caissiel

On the 2009 BC the frame is shearing at the welds. The metal is so thin for a 15k lbs unit. I had to reinforce the shear sections with 3/16 in angles and more are developping further back. It's not if it will brake but when. I observed other manufactures unit that are similar just waiting to break. Its a shame we have to accept this design. Just 3/16 metal would cost maybe $100 more. I had a break in my previous trailer also as it was similar tubing used but that one it was the tubing that was not strong enough and bent. The welds held. An I tow with a 3/4 ton truck. Sure will never have any bigger truck on these units made by Lipppert.

BigGuy82

So here's the lastest on the Heartland 1 1/4" reciever. I called the dealer - they have sold "several" and never had a complaint - in fact, they recommend the carrier for carrying bicycles. Heartland states that there is no recall for the part and they have never seen a case of failure. The spec for the hitch receiver is 150 lbs max, meaning I've got a 30-40% safety factor built into carrying our two bikes. They too recommend this receiver for carrying bikes.

To recap - no instances of failure, no recalls and the part is designed for the express purpose of carrying bikes. I let my order stand and will install the unit myself when it arrives. Combined with the new Lippert Flex Air pinbox I just ordered, the new Air Lifts I installed and the fact that I'm running a dually, I don't think rear end motion will be severe enough to cause a failure in the receiver or the rack.

Off course, I could be entirely wrong about this, in which case I will initiate the BigGuy82 Bicycle Replacement Crowd Funding program to help defray the cost of new bikes.

steveayers

ATF: Bighorn - Receiver Hitchcock Failure

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3585RL that I bought new at the 2012 Hershey RV Show. Yesterday I used the factory installed class I receiver hitch for the guest time. I attached a bicycle carrier to it with a single bicycle mounted to it. After less than 300 miles the receiver hitch sheared off from the frame, destroying a $500 bicycle and a $200 carrier in the process. Has this type of hitch failure been known to occur with this model? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Receiver Hitchcock Failure

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3585RL that I bought new at the 2012 Hershey RV Show. Yesterday I used the factory installed class I receiver hitch for the guest time. I attached a bicycle carrier to it with a single bicycle mounted to it. After less than 300 miles the receiver hitch sheared off from the frame, destroying a $500 bicycle and a $200 carrier in the process. Has this type of hitch failure been known to occur with this model? Thanks
Hi steveayers,

I moved your post to another thread where this is under discussion.

Could you provide a bit more information about the failure. Was the receiver hitch bolted to the plates that are welded to the frame? What sheared? Bolts, welds? Which welds?

steveayers

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The hitch appears to have been attached with lag bolts that went through the undercarriage panel into the frame. I am able to see a series of holes where the lag bolts initially penetrated the panel and then were torn out. Other than small strips of the panel on each outer edge, the panel remained intact from the hitch tearing away. This unit was shipped directly from the factory to the RV Show; I did not add the hitch post-purchase. Thank you for the assistance with the post.

Steve

Hi steveayers,

I moved your post to another thread where this is under discussion.

Could you provide a bit more information about the failure. Was the receiver hitch bolted to the plates that are welded to the frame? What sheared? Bolts, welds? Which welds?

danemayer

This is a new one on me. Our Landmark came with the brackets already attached to the frame. I purchased the receiver hitch from Lippert and bolted it onto the brackets with nuts and bolts (not lag bolts) in a horizontal arrangement, and without going through the coroplast underbelly material. I think that's the same way Heartland installs the hitch.

If by lag bolts, you mean the 3/8" self-tapping screws that hold the coroplast to the frame, I don't think they're typically used with the receiver hitch.

I've attached a Lippert engineering drawing of the 1-1/4" receiver hitch, showing the c-channel brackets that attach to the frame. The c-channel brackets are probably welded to the frame.

Does your rig have those brackets, and was the hitch mounted to them?

Attachments

• Lippert Receiver Hitch 240221.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 73

BigGuy82

Sorry for the lack of clarity. The hitch appears to have been attached with lag bolts that went through the undercarriage panel into the frame. I am able to see a series of holes where the lag bolts initially penetrated the panel and then were torn out. Other than small strips of the panel on each outer edge, the panel remained intact from the hitch tearing away. This unit was shipped directly from the factory to the RV Show; I did not add the hitch post-purchase. Thank you for the assistance with the post.

Steve

A picture of the area where it failed would be hugely helpful. Alao, what was the weight of the bike carrier plus bikes? The limit in the bicycle hith is 150 lbs.

Please send a picture if possible as i am in the process of adding that reciever to my coach and if it's a problem, I'd like to know so i can prevent disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a new one on me. Our Landmark came with the brackets already attached to the frame. I purchased the receiver hitch from Lippert and bolted it onto the brackets with nuts and bolts (not lag bolts) in a horizontal arrangement, and without going through the coroplast underbelly material. I think that's the same way Heartland installs the hitch.

If by lag bolts, you mean the 3/8" self-tapping screws that hold the coroplast to the frame, I don't think they're typically used with the receiver hitch.

I've attached a Lippert engineering drawing of the 1-1/4" receiver hitch, showing the c-channel brackets that attach to the frame. The c-channel brackets are probably welded to the frame.

Does your rig have those brackets, and was the hitch mounted to them?

That's exatly the one I just ordered and I have those brackets welded to the coach. Does it work well for you?