Rain rain Go Away - don't come back ....

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
East Tennessee has seen it's share of rain with over 12" above normal this year with the Tennessee Valley area and Tennessee River seeing the most. We are in northern AL in a campground that's only 1/4 mile from the river with a couple of loops starting to see the early signs of flooding. They say the river wont crest till Tuesday night to early Wednesday morning. Glad we are on the higher side.
Pt Mallard Flood 5-6-13 #1.jpg

jjwink

Hope you don't have to test bouyancy of the grey ghost or see how fast you can hook up!! We still have rain in middle TN.

ParkIt

That has been us the last three years...this year we are back to 70's & 80's in May but we'll get rain on and off until July.
Stay high and dry, that doesn't look like any fun at all.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'm with you on that Byrd...been here in middle Tennessee since January 2nd...got our first 40 hour week last week, because it rained on the weekends for a change! At least the campsites we are on are way above the river....sigh...

Nabo

5-7-13 PMLLD Flood.jpg Day 2 and the water is still raising. One Heartland camper had water to the bottom of the frame and he pulled out this morning, heading for higher grounds. We are ok but only about a handfull of us are on high grounds. TVA now says the river wont crest til Thursday am. Where I was standing yesterday taking the first picture is now under about 1 to 1 1/2 foot of water.

ParkIt

That's just nuts and a lot of water, not sure I would have stayed past the first picture you posted.

There is a campground on the Snoqualmie River up here, its huge and a great place to stay but only a few will be there in spring...we know that river has flooded too many times to count when they thought it wouldn't. One year it crested and had 4' of water hit the park in a matter of hours, there were a couple of trailers just floating around and hitting trees while the owners could only watch from the bridge :(

dfk009

We had a miserable 4 day weekend at the 77 mile marker, on I-57 in Illinois. This wasn't supposed to go to people that didn't need it. We had a counter clock-wise spin on our storms (like hurricanes). Better pull out, and head for the hills. Hope we don't have this in September for the rally.

EandJ

I know! We were in Pigeon Forge a week and a half ago. Took the kids to Dollywood and got SOAKED on two different days. My wife and two daughters got stuck at the top of the ferris wheel in pouring rain. A couple of days later we got caught worse there. So we just decided to ride all the water rides since we were already soaked. Still trying to get the funk out of the tennis shoes.

Nabo

Day 3 - yeah, the water has started to recede. TVA must have decided to open the flood gates. Power trucks have been in/out checking the main power station and some of the site poles as the water is receding. Right now the campground is not letting anyone back in so there are campers in the ice skating rink parking lot, main parking lot and the golf course parking lot (guess the golfers love that). One man refused to move his 5th wheel ('12 Infinity) saying he hopes it's ruined and the insurance company will get him a new one. ummmm - insurance and flood = new camper!!! Think not. If you want to know where we are http://www.pointmallardpark.com/

VKTalley

HI Byrd! Glad you and Nathan are "high and dry" and that the water is receding. The Coosa River here in Wetumpka is at flood stage and I have been watching it out the back window of our rig. Thankfully we are well above the river here at our home campground....though I think the fishing people are loving it, as they are out on the river in full force all day long. Take care!

TXTiger

I am in Nashville on my way to Gettysburg. Rained all night and raining so far all day today. Not used to rain, I live in So Calif. Hope the camground I am in won't flood.

scottyb

Getting some rain in Central Texas today, but not enough to help the lakes. I wish we could relieve you guys to the east of some of your rain.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Getting some rain in Central Texas today, but not enough to help the lakes. I wish we could relieve you guys to the east of some of your rain.

I am in swla and it is raining cats and dogs here which is not a good thing as I am trying to get off to a good start on a 2nd weekend of a 2 weekend pirate festival and this rain is not going to help our gate at all. Wish I was on my way to Elkhart instead. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayc

Legendary Member
It's cold and nasty in Elkhart this afternoon. Don't know if you want to be here, but then I'm not here to pick up a new trailer like you will be.

Nabo

Well - it's day 5 and the campground is still closed and flooded. The water had gone down some but we had over an inch during the night so it is back up a little. The parking lot for the golf course (which is also closed due to the flooding) looks like a used camper lot. A couple of folks are trying to say in their camper but most have just left them. We are back in TN this evening, not heading back to AL til Sunday afternoon. It will be interesting to see if things are better in 2 days.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's cold and nasty in Elkhart this afternoon. Don't know if you want to be here, but then I'm not here to pick up a new trailer like you will be.

After a good couple inches yesterday it came to an end around 4 and had a nice evening and then more rain overnight. Most will pass to the south today but still under a flash flood watch here jay. And yes the next two weeks will be very long. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Well - it's been 8 days since mother nature did a number on the campground. Thanks to TVA, most of the water has recede with only one or two sites still mushy. Most of the campers except for about half a dozen have returned and fully set up. It's interesting how the folks seem to be used to the river's unpredictable nature and take it in stride. Me on the other hand - ah well.....

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
We crossed the Tn river on hwy 64 at Savannah Tn and it was way out of its banks. I've never seen it like that. In Bartlett (west Tn) it has been rain free for 4 days now.