Rear electric stabilizer

I am having an issue with the remote not controlling my rear stabilizer. It works on everything else but that. Is there something in the electronic control panel that maybe needs activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi browntl2454,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If you'll tell us which trailer/year you have, another owner with the same rig can probably help.

Move the thread to a better area.

wdk450

I would start with trying to locate the DC circuit breaker for the stabilizer, and seeing if that is tripped.

Boy, if rear stabilizers and maybe landing gear is being done with remote controls, this really cries for a standard circuit that cuts the power in 1 direction if the limit of mechanical movement is reached. I worked on simple electric IV poles that had this circuitry. Just 2 limit microswitches, although our large power applications might also need a power relay, too. When I was doing some research on the Domar (brand) of 5th wheel landing gear, I noticed they had a similar product for aiming the old satellite dishes that HAD a limit microswitch circuit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having to stand next to the rear stabilizer to operate it does have its advantages. Real easy to tell when the motor is starting to labor and you need to lay off the switch. But if these are the original manual switch type, I vote for rotten springs. Mine died without seeing very much wet road at all. Hence, the McGyver pen spring fix. Cheap "Made in India" junk.

wdk450

Having to stand next to the rear stabilizer to operate it does have its advantages. Real easy to tell when the motor is starting to labor and you need to lay off the switch. But if these are the original manual switch type, I vote for rotten springs. Mine died without seeing very much wet road at all. Hence, the McGyver pen spring fix. Cheap "Made in India" junk.

John:
I don't know if you saw my recent thread on the rear stabilizer motor after I "bumped" the rear end after pulling one set of wheels through a driveway-side culvert. The big news is after removing the motor with its drive gearing, I thought that hand cranking the rear stabilizers was twice as quick as standing around holding the motor switch, and very low resistance cranking.

I did go ahead and make a 3/8 inch slotted tube end cranking adapter for my drill anyways. I got a 6 inch piece of 3/8 inch threaded rod, a 3/8 inch I.D. 1 inch long steel spacer tube, and a 1/2 inch long rollpin. I cut the notch in the end of the tube about 1/2 way down to mate with the landing gear shaft with cross pin, put the tube on the threaded rod end and drilled a hole the size of the rollpin sideways through the tube and threaded rod; then hammered in the rollpin. The drill adapter is pretty much like the larger ones for the spare tire and landing gear they sell online, only a smaller diameter.

JohnDar

Bill, I did see it. It's another option if one does not desire to repair or replace the motor. I also hand cranked my stabilizer when the motor quit (they were down). I did not enjoy that. Repairing the motor was a bench project at home after it sat there for a month or so. That it worked was one of those "Ah Ha!" moments.

JohnDar

BTW, if the motor is still attached, there is a lot more resistance hand cranking it.

browny

I am having an issue with the remote not controlling my rear stabilizer. It works on everything else but that. Is there something in the electronic control panel that maybe needs activated?

Sorry I took so long to get back, too many things going on. We have a Bighorn 3070RL (2013) it is not a big issue that able to operate the rear stabilizer jack without the remote, I just thought that since it is on the remote, why shouldn't it work?

danemayer

Hi browny,

If you have the Lippert remote, here's a link to some documentation that may help.

The brain is usually located behind a hard to see panel in one of your cabinets. It's typically going to be within a few feet of the circuit breakers and fuse box. You'll probably need to empty the cabinets and use a flashlight to find the panel.

You might want to look at the wiring to the brain to see if anything is loose or disconnected.

If nothing jumps out, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to help.

browny

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at it when I get a chance. By the way, I like the snowy mountain pic. Browny