Refrig did not switch over to propane

I rent my trailer out to help make the payments. This past week my renters came to pick up my RV. I had the RV plugged into electric and had the refrig precooled for them. The refrig was set to auto. When the renters arrived at their campsite 4 hrs later they complained it was not cold. Before leaving I turned the propane on and set the leaver in the middle so it will auto switch tanks if one runs empty. The renters verified the propane tanks were open. I told renter to change leaver on propane to the full tank on the left. He then turned the auto button off and let run on propane. Refrig cooled with no issues.

What do you think is the problem? Did the refrig not switch to propane from electric maybe due to air in the lines? How can I ensure this does not occur again.

danemayer

Hi hikerdavy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

The 2 common problems with propane feed are 1) air in the lines and 2) opening the tank valve too fast, triggering the overflow protection device built in the tank.

To avoid the problem in the future you might switch to propane operation before they leave with the trailer, so you can verify correct operation.

Lou_and_Bette

I rent my trailer out to help make the payments. This past week my renters came to pick up my RV. I had the RV plugged into electric and had the refrig precooled for them. The refrig was set to auto. When the renters arrived at their campsite 4 hrs later they complained it was not cold. Before leaving I turned the propane on and set the leaver in the middle so it will auto switch tanks if one runs empty. The renters verified the propane tanks were open. I told renter to change leaver on propane to the full tank on the left. He then turned the auto button off and let run on propane. Refrig cooled with no issues.

What do you think is the problem? Did the refrig not switch to propane from electric maybe due to air in the lines? How can I ensure this does not occur again.

Davey, on my rig, I have the selector lever pointing to the tank I am currently using. When that tank runs out, the regulator automatically starts drawing from the other tank and displays and “empty” signal. I turn the lever to the other tank so I can remove it and get it filled. I’m wondering if setting the lever in the middle, does that turn off the propane flow? Seems logical if the renters changed the lever to one tank and it worked. Simple test would be to turn the lever to one of the tanks to see if that works and then, switch lever to other tank and see if that works. If both work then lever needs to point at one and not be centered. If one works and the other doesn’t, then you have a starting point in your search for the problem. Dan has given you some suggestions if there is a problem with the flow from one of your tanks.

jerryjay11

To the best of my knowledge the lever is only to select which tank is going to display red or green when empty or full respectively. The regulator automatically switches from the empty tank to the full tank. At least this has always been the case with my last two campers. As long as the tank valve is open on both tanks you do not need to switch the lever over for LP to flow.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To my understanding, having the selector in the center will draw from both tanks simultaneously and you won’t see the red indicator until zero-dark thirty during a storm because both tanks are empty at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jayc

Legendary Member
When I had a Dometic fridge I always drew off one tank with the other valve closed. When this tank ran out, I turned the selector to the other tank and opened the valve, so I didn't run out at zero-dark-thirty in a storm. You could just instruct your renters how to do this in case the propane ran out on them.

Gary521

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of anybody setting the lever of the auto switch regulator in the middle.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
And it’s called getting off your lazy butt and CHECKING the indicator when you’re using propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

And it’s called getting off your lazy butt and CHECKING the indicator when you’re using propane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last night I read this thread, and checked the Heartland Owners library for the instruction sheet on the Marshall 253 series switch-over propane valve/regulator, and saw that 2 other brands were listed, but not the Marshalls. I then did some web research, found the document, and submitted it to the webmasters for addition to the library.

There is a remote visual alarm accessory available for the Marshall 253's that you can mount inside your trailer, monitoring the switch-over indicator on your propane tanks outside the trailer : http://www.superdealsrvparts.com/remote-lp-changeover-indicator,06-0216,66-8794,

pegmikef

When I had a Dometic fridge I always drew off one tank with the other valve closed. When this tank ran out, I turned the selector to the other tank and opened the valve, so I didn't run out at zero-dark-thirty in a storm. You could just instruct your renters how to do this in case the propane ran out on them.

I always do the same thing. Don't want any surprises. When the current tank runs dry (or close to it) I switch to the other one and get the empty one filled.

Gary521

Last night I read this thread, and checked the Heartland Owners library for the instruction sheet on the Marshall 253 series switch-over propane valve/regulator, and saw that 2 other brands were listed, but not the Marshalls. I then did some web research, found the document, and submitted it to the webmasters for addition to the library.

There is a remote visual alarm accessory available for the Marshall 253's that you can mount inside your trailer, monitoring the switch-over indicator on your propane tanks outside the trailer : http://www.superdealsrvparts.com/remote-lp-changeover-indicator,06-0216,66-8794,

Did you read anything about putting the indicator in the middle?

TedS

Here are instruction from Marshall. No mention of pointing the selector down.

Attachments

• FORM 973 MEGR-253 SERIES REV B.pdf
    378 KB · Views: 16

wdk450

Did you read anything about putting the indicator in the middle?

The instructions in post #12 say to point the lever at one or the other tank. It does NOT say to point the lever halfway between the 2 tanks. Unfortunately, all of the illustrations on these instructions show the lever halfway between the 2 tanks. I think that this is just a easy way to illustrate the device, not an operational setting of the device.

Here are instruction from Marshall. No mention of pointing the selector down.

thanks for the info. Very big help. Makes sense why the selector needs to stay pointed not in the middle as I was told but towards the primary tank until it is empty and then move to alternate tank when changing tank out.

David Wilcox

SLO

Our 1983 Coachman had the same auto changeover system the new units have. Lou_and_Bette reply is correct. Instructions must be really poor because this issue comes up all the time. It’s operated the same way for decades. Some instructions inside the propane compartment would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk